Your Maiden blasphemy

Oof. Agree to disagree. Greatly.
Sorry Diesel, I'm not trying to make you hate me. I'm quite weary that you are a Blaze fan, so, I feel quite conscious of that when I'm offering my own generally negative opinion of Blaze's singing.

Our opinions are poles apart. Well, we both like Bruce. But you like Blaze and I don't and I like Paul and you don't.

But maiden rulz aye?!

Yes, I'd argue that too. However, a competent singer would've been able to get it after a few tries.

You're not wrong, but given that it was their first album, with a disinterested producer and likely a quite minimal budget, I'm not sure more tries was a viable option.

Oh I hope this never happens we don't need a cabaret show. They are already going too spinal for my liking. I think the keyboardist should be up on stage though seems funny to hide him backstage

I quoted the wrong post. Reference was to someone stating they want Paul and blaze to join Bruce on stage

Might not be directed at me but I'll answer anyway. I wasn't entirely joking with my post, I actually would like to see Paul and Blaze return for Maiden's final tour. Love them or hate them, both are a massively important part of Maiden's history, having them come back for a song or two would be a great way to show appreciation for them. Better than pretending it never happened...

Might not be directed at me but I'll answer anyway. I wasn't entirely joking with my post, I actually would like to see Paul and Blaze return for Maiden's final tour. Love them or hate them, both are a massively important part of Maiden's history, having them come back for a song or two would be a great way to show appreciation for them. Better than pretending it never happened...
I don't think anybody's pretending it never happened, but it'd be a total cabaret act move and just kind of a terrible gimmick. Neither Paul nor Blaze have any business on a Maiden stage anymore. They both had their chances and ultimately the band is better off without them. Appreciate them on their respective albums, but don't drag out former members of the band on stage for "appreciation" or any other reason.

Well, Adrian joined the boys during a show once after he'd quit the band, what makes him different than Paul and Blaze? I think having "Wrathchild" - a song all three singers have sung with their stints in the band - close out a certain concert would work quite well if you wanted to bring up the two as a special piece. Get Stratton up there as well. If it's the final concert / tour, Maiden can jolly well go all out, IMO.

I don't think anybody's pretending it never happened, but it'd be a total cabaret act move and just kind of a terrible gimmick. Neither Paul nor Blaze have any business on a Maiden stage anymore. They both had their chances and ultimately the band is better off without them. Appreciate them on their respective albums, but don't drag out former members of the band on stage for "appreciation" or any other reason.
Precisely this. People think a band is like a big happy family. They are a business. It makes no sense to bring back all people that have ever played for maiden over the decades. A couple of them are suing maiden, paul sounds terrible these days, you'd be better off plucking a random person from the audience.

Precisely this. People think a band is like a big happy family. They are a business. It makes no sense to bring back all people that have ever played for maiden over the decades. A couple of them are suing maiden, paul sounds terrible these days, you'd be better off plucking a random person from the audience.
Fine, just Blaze then. :ok:

Firstly, just want to clarify my "pretending it never happened" comment was a sly jab at Priest, who like to pretend the Ripper era never happened. For all the shit (undeservedly) Maiden got for the Blaze-era, they stand by them, which I respect immensely.

My idea of a perfect "final tour" for Maiden would be something akin to Metallica's 30th Anniversary shows, just maybe not as broad with the guest appearances. Have Blaze and Paul come back for a song or two (I like Diesel's idea of "Wrathchild", might make people actually look forward to hearing it), maybe even Dennis Straton. I wouldn't hope or expect Maiden to bring back everyone who's ever been involved with the band ever, but those three have been a very important part of their history and, perhaps with the exception of Den, still maintain huge appreciation from fans.

I don't consider Maiden a "big happy family", but as far as I'm aware, they've never shown any animosity towards Blaze, Den or even Paul - despite all the shit he gives them. I maintain a vain hope that Paul would be mature enough to let by gones be by gones for the sake of one final "Hurrah".

Firstly, just want to clarify my "pretending it never happened" comment was a sly jab at Priest, who like to pretend the Ripper era never happened. For all the shit (undeservedly) Maiden got for the Blaze-era, they stand by them, which I respect immensely.

My idea of a perfect "final tour" for Maiden would be something akin to Metallica's 30th Anniversary shows, just maybe not as broad with the guest appearances. Have Blaze and Paul come back for a song or two (I like Diesel's idea of "Wrathchild", might make people actually look forward to hearing it), maybe even Dennis Straton. I wouldn't hope or expect Maiden to bring back everyone who's ever been involved with the band ever, but those three have been a very important part of their history and, perhaps with the exception of Den, still maintain huge appreciation from fans.

I don't consider Maiden a "big happy family", but as far as I'm aware, they've never shown any animosity towards Blaze, Den or even Paul - despite all the shit he gives them. I maintain a vain hope that Paul would be mature enough to let by gones be by gones for the sake of one final "Hurrah".

If we're talking about a full tour there has to be money involved for Paul and Blaze and I honestly don't think Maiden are willing to do that. Also, Paul might be willing to let by gones be by gones...but I think for Harris to bring him out on tour he needs absolute confirmation that Paul is capable, healthy and willing to toe the line while under whatever contract they make. There's no way Steve Harris will bring out Paul if he's prone to fuck up a show or perform under standard. And for that reason alone I think it will never happen.

why because a woman is playing guitar? yes it would look odd. but she definitely has the chops to do it. for example. alice cooper (who she plays with now) has had so many lineup changes it is absurd (again. not comparing the two acts) but it looks odd at first. but i think it would be generally accepted if it means they keep going.

No, not because she is a woman. Because Dave, Jan and H are currently forming such a fucking great trio, that any other combinations would be non-sense.

His solos from “Sign Of The Cross”, “Judgement Of Heaven”, “The Edge Of Darkness”, “No More Lies”, “Montsegur”, “Gates Of Tomorrow”, and “The Alchemist” would beg to differ with you. And that’s just naming a few, and not counting the viral effect he had on Dave.

Note that you had to go to a live track to find an example for Adrian.
The alchemist has always stuck out to me as an unlistenable solo. Does that mean it’s sloppy or just plain bad, as in poorly thought out?

While a lot of things factor into a good guitar solo for me, an important aspect is whether I can technically sing it. That doesn’t mean that the melodies have to be slow and easy on the voice, but the note choices and execution of those notes should provide some melodic content. Sometimes Janick achieves this, sometimes not.

The alchemist has always stuck out to me as an unlistenable solo. Does that mean it’s sloppy or just plain bad, as in poorly thought out?
That would depend on why you find it to be unlistenable.

Near as I can tell, Janick’s playing all over the place in that solo without any regard to the rhythm underneath. That part is measurably sloppy and I would personally describe it as too sloppy.

The general lack of melodic direction to the solo is a subjective judgment, but I would personally describe it as poorly thought out. The solo as a whole sounds to me like Janick’s randomly wanking around a note and occasionally steering a little bit in one direction.

That said, it’s probably a favorite of someone around here, so maybe this comment belongs in the blasphemy thread after all...

"The Alchemist" is an interesting example. I've always liked these excerpts from Kevin Shirley's The Final Frontier studio diary (https://ironmaiden.com/news/article/the-final-frontier---recording-diary-by-kevin-shirley):
Kevin Shirley said:
February 10, 2010 Nassau, Bahamas
Janick's family arrived from England today, so he asked me to send him an MP3 of the solo he did on The Alchemist, which I did, and he called me later asking if he could redo it, so we'll have another crack at it on Friday.

Kevin Shirley said:
February 12, 2010 Nassau, Bahamas
It's the last day in the studio today. Janick came in and redid the solo on The Alchemist. He was much happier than before - the first solo had been much more "in the meter", but this one crossed the rhythms, and he liked the fact that it sounded like he wasn't going to make it, and then did. He felt it sounded more "incendiary!". His phrase.

For better or for worse, this is the way Janick does things - the "it sounded like he wasn't going to make it"-bit is probably the best description of Janick's solos in general, and then it's up to the individual whether or not to add "...and then did" afterwards :)

Then there's this part:
Kevin Shirley said:
February 26, 2010 Malibu, California
Bruce came in from London this morning [...] He listened to a few things we'd been working on - had some issues with a couple of vocal lines he'd sung, and disliked a particular guitar solo we'd recorded at Compass Point, but said "whatever!"

Could it be a Janick solo, and could it be "The Alchemist"? I don't think it's ever been elaborated on, but I'm still curious.

All in all, I'm just glad the 3 amigos have such different styles; they compliment each other well and yet, they're still very distuingishable from each other. Really, how many other bands with multiple lead guitarists can claim to be that?

I think this is one of the best solos from Janick.
"All in all, I'm just glad the 3 amigos have such different styles; they compliment each other well and yet, they're still very distuingishable from each other. Really, how many other bands with multiple lead guitarists can claim to be that?

No other band can say that.... :ok: As for the solo that Bruce did not liked, I'm also curious - I bet on IOA, Starblind or TMWWBK.

I've always felt like The Alchemist was meant to have two solos based on the change in the middle of it, but for whatever reason Janick ended up just playing one himself. It kinda sounds like a rushjob and it's odd that's what they went with.

Re: Bruce's comments, I'm pretty sure it was around this era that he mentioned not being a fan of some of Janick's solos and not necessarily wanting them in his songs as a result, so The Alchemist would definitely make sense since he wrote the lyrics and thus probably paid more attention to the song as a whole compared to some of the other ones. So it'd make sense that's the solo he had a problem with. It's probably the weakest on the whole album, after all.

Back