Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

That's pretty cool. You should've invited Foro and Loosey. I have actually met someone who works there (wife of a colleague).

Last year I went to a Terry Pratchett exhibition in Salisbury, pre-Novichock days.

That's pretty cool. You should've invited Foro and Loosey. I have actually met someone who works there (wife of a colleague).

Last year I went to a Terry Pratchett exhibition in Salisbury, pre-Novichock days.
The Tolkien Exhibition actually has the young Terence Pratchett's letter to Tolkien on display...

I saw the same letter and Tolkein's reply in Salisbury. It was the one thing we weren't allowed to photograph because the Tolkien Estate is very restrictive about it.

I saw the same letter and Tolkein's reply in Salisbury. It was the one thing we weren't allowed to photograph because the Tolkien Estate is very restrictive about it.
You spelt Tolkien wrong, but we'll let that pass...

I think the "no photographs" policy generally is just to avoid repeat exposure to photography light. While the Tolkien archives are the physical property of The Bodleian, or The Estate, or whoever; the letter content is certainly copyright Terry Pratchett & remains so for the next ~67 or so. Same as owning art. You own the physical item; unless acquired as part of the sale (unlikely) you do not own the copyright & the right to replicate (& sell, etc) the work. Pratchett's letter to Tolkien has, I'm almost certain, been published somewhere before in any case.

When I was in Ikea on Sunday afternoon I witnessed a couple of youngish lads getting very excited about this plate.

"Oh! Oh!" said the first lad, running across the shop floor, "is it two minutes to midnight?"

"No," said his friend (in Slayer top), "it's actually ..." (short pause) "... FOUR minutes to midnight!"

Plate30%.jpg

Well nobody's perfect (including the plate makers!) :).

Back