BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Still trying to decide who to pick in the Miller/Clarke matchup.

You know, that's just it. I simply don't know who to pick in the first pair... and I couldn't care less about the second. I mean, is there seriously anyone who cares about Novoselic or Waters (as a baseman, that is?). Well, put it that way and it's definitely Roger anyway, but I wish I could vote for no-one in the second pairing and use both in the first so as to keep both Miller and Clarke in the game. Prob'ly gonna vote for Clarke, but I'm still not sure yet.

Miller vs. Clarke - I've never heard of either of them so I can only vote based on videos. And I choose Miller.

Novoselic vs. Waters - I honestly didn't know what to pick for the Nirvana video and I've read this one has Novoselic's favorite bass lines. They are nothing special, so voting for Waters.

Thanks for all the votes btw, I honestly expected a low turnout for bass :p

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 34:
Stanley Clarke
Krist Novoselic

Promoted after Round 34:
Marcus Miller
Roger Waters

Martín Méndez (OPETH) vs. Nicky Wire (MANIC STREET PREACHERS)
vs.
Jaco Pastorius (solo, WEATHER REPORT) vs. Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, FATES WARNING)
vs.

Obviously the jazz virtuoso will win here, but Joey Vera is my overall favorite bassist and definitely the person I’d want in my band. A choice between Mendez and Vera would actually be difficult, as they are both guys who add tons of funk and groove into metal.

Any better Joey Vera examples? I honestly didn't know what to pick :)

Oh, I've got some...

Some funk here:

Rock solid back drop perfectly synched up with kick drum, plus tasty and tasteful fills:

This is super lame and dated, but it's very jazzy and funky.

He plays with Fates Warning and was on the second OSI (Kevin Moore/Portnoy) album:

Not to mention that he is responsible for guiding Armored Saint's writing and recording process for the last two decades. He writes and records everything with John Bush these days, including a lot of the guitar parts. Joey Vera's rhythmic playing and tone have always been my favorite in the entire genre.

He's obviously very talented, but I can hardly bear any jazzy stuff at all

Edit: Jaco Pastorius, that is

I'm torn, actually. I think Jaco is an excellent musician, he's just not my favourite of the two.

Back