Legacy of the Beast 2018 Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 67 year old Rob Halford can pull off a high range vocal song, so can 59 year old Bruce Dickinson.
I'm not sure if you were aware, but unfortunately Mr. Rob Halford is a completely different person than Mr. Bruce Dickinson.

I know, it's a little known fact, but I felt it important to clear up before false information gets spread around.

I'm not sure if you were aware, but unfortunately Mr. Rob Halford is a completely different person than Mr. Bruce Dickinson.

I know, it's a little known fact, but I felt it important to clear up before false information gets spread around.

I know that man, and that's why Rob is the metal god.
I'm sure Bruce can pull off Aces High, some of you are just being picky as hell especially with the chorus.

Aces High is a really difficult song to sing, and Bruce has never truly nailed it again after the studio recording, so I'm pretty skeptical.

Judas Priest has downtuned a fair amount of their songs for quite a number of years now- not really a fair comparison.

Bruce is a completely different singer than Rob. He uses his full chest voice to sing his stuff and that is incredibly demanding on a body, as said by Bruce himself.

Aces High is not just a question about Bruce. It's about Nicko too. Can he still play it at 2008-2009 tempo? This song really suffers from being slowed down.

Wait, this is 2013, isn't it? I would expect that Aces High today would sound more like Knebworth 2014. Too slow and with Bruce strugling.

To be fair, I think Bruce was a bit sick on that show. He kept on putting his hand on his chest from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son onwards, which is something he normally does when he is feeling something wrong with his chest.

Nicko is to blame for the slow tempo. Could that change now that he has stopped drinking and is taking better care of himself?

That being said, I'd rather have another song less played since the reunion on the setlist than Aces High.

The word on the street is that Rob has been quite hit and miss recently. His vocal technique(s) aren't the same as Bruce's, either, plus we still don't know how much Bruce's voice was affected by cancer and chemo.

The word on the street is that Rob has been quite hit and miss recently. His vocal technique(s) aren't the same as Bruce's, either, plus we still don't know how much Bruce's voice was affected by cancer and chemo.

If the 2017 UK shows are anything to go by, his singing is better than on previous tours (2011 to 2014).

I'm' going by what a few people have said in the Priest thread about recent performances. I thought he was pretty good in 2014.

Bruce said he has a sharper voice after the cancer, which he seems to enjoy as an unintended consequence, and which fits some songs he could not sing very well thoughout the 2000s. My impression is also that he was better in reaching highs during the whole 2016 tour than the 2013 O2 performances.

I think that we will get Aces High this year. :)

Edit: Also, please do not compare Halford with Mr. Dickinson.
You can compare King Diamond with Halford because it is falsetto.
Believe me, you do not want to hear Bruce in falsetto. ;)

Bruce sounded just as good in 2011, 12 and 13. It was only towards the end of the 2011 tour he sounded bad.

I am a massive fan of the guy and felt that he did not sound as good as in 2016-2017 during the European leg of TFF tour in 2011 and on the Maiden England tour (2012-2014). Who knows, perhaps in 2014 he was showing some signs of the undiagnosed cancer affecting his singing?

That being said, he still sounded miles better than most heavy rock singers do live, which is quite a feat considering his age and how demanding the material he is singing is. We can count ourselves lucky.

I am a massive fan of the guy and felt that he did not sound as good as in 2016-2017 during the European leg of TFF tour in 2011 and on the Maiden England tour (2012-2014). Who knows, perhaps in 2014 he was showing some signs of the undiagnosed cancer affecting his singing?

That being said, he still sounded miles better than most heavy rock singers do live, which is quite a feat considering his age and how demanding the material he is singing is. We can count ourselves lucky.
My observations of Bruce's voice after Chemo and Radiation.

Gains:
-I think he can hit higher notes than on Maiden England tour
-His voice is more polished

But
-He his fast diction is not as good as it used to be

So there are songs that benefit from this like TBOS, COTD and similar. But there are also songs that didn't like TRATB. Hallowed and Trooper are interesting cases, because despite them having fast passages, they benefited from being slowed down a bit, because Bruce could still sing the verses, while reaching the high notes.

So, I hope they chose the songs wisely for LOTB tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back