CHEESEVIVÖR: The Book of Metal: ALL HAIL VICTORIUS!

THE LAST BATTLE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Volume I, Chapter 27: UNBREAKABLE BATTALION BATTLE 3: Rhapsody vs Thobbe Englund

Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame
I read in an interview back in the day when this band still existed with this name that they call their style "Hollywood Metal", although even in the post-LOTR era, I do wonder just how representative dragons are of the entire showbusiness industry.

Thobbe Englund - The End of Oil
So last time, Thobbe warned us of the Illuminati. Now he's telling us about the apocalyptic prospect of the world running out of oil, which apparently will manifest itself by people skateboarding in a hurricane, according to the person who made this video.

fantasy_sword_frostmourne_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_63966.jpg

Volume I, Chapter 28: UNBREAKABLE BATTALION BATTLE 4: Claymorean vs Omen

Claymorean - We Fight Like Lions
I'm not sure this title is true. This band has put their entire discograhy on their YouTube channel, which gives me the idea that they won't bother trying to sell it anymore...

Omen - Teeth of the Hydra
According to one of our more popular members, this song is supposed to remind us of something. Does it really, or are we just off on our post-lawsuit witch hunt to depose the band we once admired?

I wasn't too impressed by Rhapsody in the first round, but here they actually made a pretty nifty song. I dunno about "Hollywood" but it would make for an interesting song in a Broadway musical. That said, Thobbe was something else. Last time he gave us a driving, forceful song about the Illuminati. This time it's a more quiet and slower track about the end of oil. For about 15 seconds I was confused and then I was in love again. The singing, the guitar... oh my stars. Cheese metal perfection. Thobbe.

Is that a woman in Claymorean? It is? This is quite nice! Omen is standard metal fare. Boring. They had a cool title but the song is meh. The opening sounds a bit like Seventh Son and there are also similarities to Children of the Damned - but only for very obvious reasons, like saying the exact same line a couple times. Meh song. I can't tell which is worse - Life's Shadow or Teeth of the Hydra. Anyways.... Claymorean.

Rhapsody - top-shelf, speedy cheese. Thobbe sounds plodding in comparison (and reminds me of Nightwish's The Kinslayer a little)

Claymorean - could do with some better production, but executes all the cheese essentials pretty convincingly

Rhapsody is absolute top-quality cheese. Each time it hit peak cheese, and I thought it couldn't get any cheesier, they brought more cheese! Thobbe is goldenly terrible, but that song didn't hit the same cheddar notes that his last song did.

Claymorean and Omen could both use better production, but I feel Omen lacking a certain cheesiness and there's some rough performances happening. Claymorean kinda sound like Sabaton-circa-Metalizer with a female singer.

The Thobbe song is better than the last one, but really, Rhapsody is going to win here. That constantly crescendoing chorus!

Omen isn't too bad, but I think Claymorean gets it on the name alone.

Volume I, Chapter 29: IMMORTAL BATTALION BATTLE 3: Freedom Call vs Domine

Freedom Call - Metal is for Everyone
Far from their black metal peers' attitude of elitism, Freedom Call promote Communism by claiming that Metal is for everyone. I therefore find it quite fitting that I found a drumhead signed by this band in a Bulgarian pub just a few weeks ago.

Domine - Ride of the Valkyries
Domine, on the other hand seem to advocate Fascism, because what other reason can there be for an Italian band being inspired by Richard Wagner's take on Germanic mythology? Huh? HUH? But the real giveaway is that they don't have a ValSans Disclaimer Verse (TM) in their song.

images

Volume I, Chapter 30: IMMORTAL BATTALION BATTLE 4: Stormhold vs Domine

Stormhold - We March
These guys declare their support for a military dictatorship, chanting about their march against their enemies and having failed at their ambitions in the last ten years.

Freternia - Grimbor the Great
Last but not least, a band makes an argument for Grimborocracy with the highest tuned guitars north of the Alps. Who will win this epic battle?

Back