Only the Good Die Young

How good is Only the Good Die Young on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This always strikes me as counterpart to Can I Play With Madness. A nice end to the album/story, although perhaps a bit sudden. There were room or one of two more songs in there.

The album ends with a bang on one of the most underrated Maiden tunes ever. Just like Moonchild as an opener, this song works perfectly both as an album closer and just a great song on its own. Bruce's vocals are awesome and the lyrics are the right combination of vague and intriguing. The instrumental section reminds me of some of the more chaotic moments on the Killers album but with a bit more control. And how many Maiden songs have awesome bass solos like this one? Just an overall fantastic song.

Love the sudden ending and the prog snob in me gets a ton of excitement over the reprise of the Moonchild intro.

This always strikes me as counterpart to Can I Play With Madness. A nice end to the album/story, although perhaps a bit sudden. There were room or one of two more songs in there.
Agreed. The one flaw of this album is that it's too brief. Would've been cool to see them go all out with the concept and do a big double album.

Ten songs would have been better for this album. The problem is, they launch the story well, but don't develop it fully. It just builds slightly and then they walk away from it. I think it doesn't help that the tracks in an order that makes great sense musically, but leave you wondering which part of the plot you're up to.

Love the sudden ending and the prog snob in me gets a ton of excitement over the reprise of the Moonchild intro.
I had no idea that qualified as progsnobbery, but yes, I love the fact they bring that back to end.

The last songs had 8 songs but SSOASS was still significantly shorter. By about 10 minutes IIRC.

I find it a slightly disappointing finale. I don't expect the same format on every Maiden album. But this is an incredible album and it deserves an epic ending, especially as this is supposed to be a full on concept. Something with greater scope was needed to develop and finish the story I think. Bruce alluded to it IIRC.

However it's a solid song in its own right with a good hook and a great solo.

And here we got my second 10 in this album. Perfect closer, a 5-minute masterpiece featuring everything from brilliant lyrics (which close the story very effectively, even reprising the "seven deadly sins" motif) and perfect instrumental. There's even a little bass solo in there! Easily the best and most complete Maiden short song, and also Maiden's best ever album closer ("Rime" may be my favorite song individually, but as a closer in the context of an album, "Only the Good Die Young" surpasses it). Oh, and I also find brilliant that Bruce replaces the "and your trip begins" line in the acoustic outro with a wicked laugh. It's so menacing and chilling! A very strong 10, no doubt.

7/10.

It's a good closer. While I like it, I don't gravitate to as much as the rest of the album (aside from The Prophecy). The short bass solo is a nice touch.
I agree with Number 6 about the acoustic outro.

I love this song the beginning verse is so in your face, it makes me wanna say it to certain people and I love the ending, for some reason, I find it has a bluesy/psychedelic vibe, like some maiden songs do. Well, the last solo made me think of jimi hendrix a little bit, in the way its expressive and bluesy. Anyways, I think its a great ending.

A driving riff with synth accompaniment kicks things off. This gives way to a great atmospheric verse and a soaring but slightly less appealing pre-chorus. Another round of verse and pre-chorus and we break into a great, catchy chorus. An excellent solo follows, then a cool busy bass bit, before returning to the intro riff.

Another round of verse through chorus, and then we break into a great solo that falls into an extended big rock ending. Just when we think it's over, Bruce returns with a variant reprise of the acoustic intro from "Moonchild", bringing us back around to where it all began.

Another excellent song overall, but the pre-chorus is slightly weak and the chorus doesn't quite hit a home run. Still merits a 9/10.

Opening with a nice bit of dual guitar and synth, "Only the Good Die Young" has some really, really great verses that lead to an even better chorus. Bruce is an expert at the theatrics woven together in this song, and helps this song keep its head up among the rest of the discography. "Walking on water - are miracles all you can trust? / Measure your coffin - does it measure up to your lust?" is one of my favorite lines in any song. It hasn't been played live and it's merely tucked away at the end of a pretty strong album, but this song is a real gem that works perfectly. The repeat of the "seven deadly sins" bit is a stroke of genius, too. 10

A hidden gem! Beautiful intro to the song, I quite like the verses and the pre-chorus. The twin-lead guitar harmonies are again top-notch. The chorus is one of the best in Maiden history. Steve's little bass solo is pure magic. ''Mystic'' solo by Adrian. The build-up to the whole song is amazing. The outro solo by Dave is great and I like that the song ends with the intro on Moonchild. Perfect song to close this conceptual album. The song also has a great galloping tempo during the verses. I would love to be played live one day... a lost classic.

/10.

I remember being extremely shocked at the age of about 8, when I found out that this wasn't a setlist staple.
I think this song has shared the same fate as "Flash of the Blade" and to a lesser extent "Judgement Day": they seem to have been voted out of the setlist because there was already a fast song that was better/more efficient (to the band's ears) among the new ones and used as the concert opener (namely "Moonchild", "Aces High" and "Man on the Edge").

Anyway, a great song that has not lent itself to being played live (and there are quite a few in the IM catalogue). Just imagine how it could have been staged, what could have come before, after...? Wouldn't the end -which works marvellously well on the album- have fallen flat live?

8/10

Last edited:
Back