Primordial

Hey nice thread you made here Perun.

Just listened to the 'new' album Where Greater Men Have Fallen (yes I've been a bit out of the loop).

On first listen nothing really caught my attention apart from Born to Night. Then again, I don't think any of their albums have ever captured me on first listen....perhaps the closest was To the Nameless Dead. That is, as far as a whole album goes. On second listen however, it's really coming together nicely. There's a great solo in Babel's Tower from around 6:30 onwards. The Seed of Tyrants also stuck out a bit for the energy. Gotta say, love the name of the last song (Wield Lightning to Split the Sun), and the lyrics I've been able to decipher so far but the song itself doesn't stick as much. Going to put the album on rotation.

As far as Gods to the Godless goes NP, saw it on spotify and that's getting a spin too. Dammit, I want to see them live.

I'll be back with more comments (maybe on more of their stuff?).

Gotta say, love the name of the last song (Wield Lightning to Split the Sun), and the lyrics I've been able to decipher so far but the song itself doesn't stick as much.

Really? To me it's one of the best songs they ever made. It's got all the epicness and pathos you could wish for from this band. I remember them playing it live, and I felt elevated to a new level.

If I recall correctly that's how I got into the band in the first place, I heard a live recording of The Coffin Ships or some such and thought it sounded great so I can well believe that hearing any song by them live would make the song even better than the album version.

I'll get back to you on how I feel about said song, it definitely needs more listens. :)

I actually didn't know Primordial before I first saw them live at Wacken '08 and then a bit later that year in Berlin. So live really is the best way to get into them.

So now I've given their latest album a few spins (Where Greater Men Have Fallen).

The opener holds up, it's fantastic. Babel's Tower has also grown on me, although it is a bit slow and I find myself waiting for that great solo at the end.
Come the Flood is pretty standard Primordial fare, and that's a good thing. The Seed of Tyrants has great energy but it ends very abruptly, not a fan of that. Ghosts of the Charnel House has really grown on me, love the intro and I like the mid-section around the 5 minute mark where they go a bit proggy. The Alchemist's Head gets interesting around 3:10 with a very nice build-up...I'm probably biased since I've been listening to a lot of Mastodon lately but this song has a similar feel to their stuff but with better vocals. Born to Night is great and I can imagine would be absolutely mind-blowing live, I can almost hear the crowd clapping along already...there's something about the melodic intro's they sometimes have (as in No Grave Deep Enough) that I really like. And so we come to Wield Lightning to Split the Sun. The pounding drums at the beginning are quite something and the lyrics are absolutely incredible, some fantastic use of language there. I wish the melody could grip me more, to me it feels mostly like a slow progression of chords that are quite atmospheric and allows the voice to stick out quite a bit but doesn't stick. As I predicted, however, the album as a whole has definitely grown on me...including the last song! It's really hammered home to me how atmospheric this band is, how much nature is evoked...quite fitting to listen to them on a cold and windy (yet slightly sunny?) spring day in Sweden. As for how this album stacks up with their others I think it's more solid than Redemption at the Puritans Hand but it's no To The Nameless Dead.

One of the best Irish bands next to Thin Lizzy. Fantastic album apart from 'The Seed of Tyrants' which is just too heavy fast even for me. I just can't get into that song, other than that it's an outstanding album.

So now I've given their latest album a few spins (Where Greater Men Have Fallen).

The opener holds up, it's fantastic. Babel's Tower has also grown on me, although it is a bit slow and I find myself waiting for that great solo at the end.
Come the Flood is pretty standard Primordial fare, and that's a good thing. The Seed of Tyrants has great energy but it ends very abruptly, not a fan of that. Ghosts of the Charnel House has really grown on me, love the intro and I like the mid-section around the 5 minute mark where they go a bit proggy. The Alchemist's Head gets interesting around 3:10 with a very nice build-up...I'm probably biased since I've been listening to a lot of Mastodon lately but this song has a similar feel to their stuff but with better vocals. Born to Night is great and I can imagine would be absolutely mind-blowing live, I can almost hear the crowd clapping along already...there's something about the melodic intro's they sometimes have (as in No Grave Deep Enough) that I really like. And so we come to Wield Lightning to Split the Sun. The pounding drums at the beginning are quite something and the lyrics are absolutely incredible, some fantastic use of language there. I wish the melody could grip me more, to me it feels mostly like a slow progression of chords that are quite atmospheric and allows the voice to stick out quite a bit but doesn't stick. As I predicted, however, the album as a whole has definitely grown on me...including the last song! It's really hammered home to me how atmospheric this band is, how much nature is evoked...quite fitting to listen to them on a cold and windy (yet slightly sunny?) spring day in Sweden. As for how this album stacks up with their others I think it's more solid than Redemption at the Puritans Hand but it's no To The Nameless Dead.

Brillaint review Natalie, and I agree with most things you said. Funny enough I wasn't a big fan o The Nameless Dead. In fact I thought that The Nameless Dead was quite a big disappointment compared to The Gathering Wilderness, which just floored me.

Last edited:
I met Nemtheanga after a show in Berlin. We had a brief chat, took a photo and he then left with two blondes and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

New album artwork:

26804594_10156006382972512_8172083163002344679_n.jpg

1. "Nail Their Tongues"
2. "To Hell or the Hangman"
3. "Where Lie the Gods"
4. "Exile Amongst the Ruins"
5. "Upon Our Spiritual Deathbed"
6. "Stolen Years"
7. "Sunken Lungs"
8. "Last Call"

With song durations:

1. Nail Their Tongues 09:00