Russian Iron Maiden

Dangerina

Nomad
Here in Russia we've got a heavy metal band founded in about 1985 and called "Aria". It is widely known here that they tried to imitate Maiden as much as they can (though I personally think that the vocalist - Kipelov - tries to sing like Dio, not Bruce) and even 'stole' some of the songs - either melodies, riffs or lyrics.

This one e.g. is the translation (though a very beautiful one, I even prefer their lyrics to the original) of 22 Acacia Ave, and the music sounds a bit like Wasted years

And this sounds much like Tears of the Dragon

But they also had very good songs like

Kipelov had duos with Udo

And Tarja

Sorry for so many videos, I just want to know your opinion - more of the singer, than of the band. Here in Russia many people are sure Bruce doesn't hold a candle to Kipelov (I'm not among them though:innocent:).

What do you think of this vocalist? For me he sounds not thick enough (and I like thick voices), though I used to admire him a few yrs ago (before I heard Bruce actually:D)

Hm. He has a strong voice overall. That's for sure. But I don't hear anything that makes him stand out much.

The most interesting part of this thread was metal bands in Russia during the 80s that people outside Russia probably haven't heard about. More of those please! ;)

This one e.g. is the translation (though a very beautiful one, I even prefer their lyrics to the original) of 22 Acacia Ave, and the music sounds a bit like Wasted years
That's actually pretty cool. :) Do you happen to have a translation of the lyrics though? Wouldn't mind knowing what I'm listening to.

Hm. He has a strong voice overall. That's for sure. But I don't hear anything that makes him stand out much.

The most interesting part of this thread was metal bands in Russia during the 80s that people outside Russia probably haven't heard about. More of those please! ;)
Actually this band - Aria - is the most popular metal band here in Russia. It's much more popular than Maiden, and can make bigger arenas, as strange as it may sound...

But I personally prefer this vocalist from another metal band - Master.

He then left metal and now he's an opera singer.

That's actually pretty cool. :) Do you happen to have a translation of the lyrics though? Wouldn't mind knowing what I'm listening to.
Actually it's the same as 22 Acacia Ave, only the title is Street of Roses, and reading the lyrics you will never understand it's about prostitutes. I've always thought it's about
Jiovanna d'Arco, before I learnt about 22 Acacia Ave.

Here it is:

Janna is one of those queens
That loves luxury and night
Only to reign on Earth
She's not meant for long
But for now
Like a goddess, she is carried
On arms, Janna Janna..
All began on good intentions
All began as a game
But the stairway to the skies has burned
To pay for your shame and fear
You and them...
I would have broken that string
Hear me, Janna Janna...

Chorus: Driving me mad
Street of Roses
Hide your betrayal
Street of Tears
I love and I hate you

Dirt under the feet of beggars
Is cleaner than the falseness of your sweet words
I am giving you a sign
To drop your profession
Drop it and leave
Let the image of Janna
Fade away as smoke
Janna..

Chorus

The queen is out of strength
It's hard to risk it all again
And she's breaking the clock
To prolong her life
To live! As for now,
Like a goddess, she is carried
On arms, Janna Janna..

Many thanks! I enjoyed that song so once I finish with Alestorm I'm definitely gonna return and check out more from them. :)

But I personally prefer this vocalist from another metal band - Master.

Master sounds great - great thrashy speed metal! They sound just as good as any late 80s, early 90s US thrash band. They really nailed it, particularly with the guitar sound and the drums! His vocals are right up my alley too. Good voice with good amounts of aggression too!

Last edited:
I know this band and I've posted it here years ago. The 1989 album is pretty much OK but they're a Maiden ripoff.

Arya certainly deserve recognition for being the first major metal band from Russia, but as everyone else said, they're good but not special.

I bet it wasn't easy. Rock was not banned, but it was in the closet. Bigger problem than getting airplay or concert permission was unavailability of normal music instruments, if you ever saw electric guitar "Made in USSR" you know what I'm talking about. IIRC I read that long ago in one interview, Aria guys said that first normal instrument they could get was Ibanez because it was sold from central Europe.

Master sounds great - great thrashy speed metal! They sound just as good as any late 80s, early 90s US thrash band. They really nailed it, particularly with the guitar sound and the drums! His vocals are right up my alley too. Good voice with good amounts of aggression too!
Btw he was the one who sang for Jesus Christ in the Russian version of Jesus Christ Superstar

I bet it wasn't easy. Rock was not banned, but it was in the closet. Bigger problem than getting airplay or concert permission was unavailability of normal music instruments, if you ever saw electric guitar "Made in USSR" you know what I'm talking about. IIRC I read that long ago in one interview, Aria guys said that first normal instrument they could get was Ibanez because it was sold from central Europe.
The bad thing about Aria is that they don't want to admit that they are just an IM imitation. As for me I personally prefer Aria's melodies, I think they are more interesting, more catchy, but still they borrowed everything they have from Maiden. Even their second vocalist (Kipelov left the band) tried to behave exactly like Bruce onstage.

Back