Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I think the thing with pirate metal is that it's supposed to be a gimmick and is little more than a bunch of guy who like alcohol having a bit of fun, kind of like hair metal actually.

Which is why I prefer Alestorm to Ghost, because the later take themselves too seriously and it doesn't work for them.

think the thing with pirate metal is that it's supposed to be a gimmick and is little more than a bunch of guy who like alcohol having a bit of fun, kind of like hair metal actually.

Yes. And if people are having fun listening to those bands, no problem. Go ahead. But damn, those bands are shitty compared to so many other metal bands :p

Ah, that may be, but Maiden has always put music first, gimmicks later.
Sure, but if they didn't have the gimmicks, they might have been "the best NWOBHM band after Def Leppard".

They've never played pirate metal for example.
Pirate metal is refreshingly honest. It is exactly what it says it is, and it is ridiculously fun because it exists within its own space. You get what's on the cover. If it's not your bag, that's fine - but there's always been a place for gimmick acts in music, and metal is no different.

Ghost, because the later take themselves too seriously and it doesn't work for them.
I'd say, based on Ghost's tour success, Grammy win, and album sales, that it's working extremely well for them.

Pirate metal is refreshingly honest. It is exactly what it says it is, and it is ridiculously fun because it exists within its own space. You get what's on the cover. If it's not your bag, that's fine - but there's always been a place for gimmick acts in music, and metal is no different.

Yup. I get that. It's like the movies. You know what you're gonna get, it's a pirate movie and so and so...but that's just not how I want to listen to my metal most of the time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love both Ghost and Alestorm. I'd say neither are bands that take themselves too seriously, and the gimmick is part of the fun!

Which is why I prefer Alestorm to Ghost, because the later take themselves too seriously and it doesn't work for them.

This. I avoided Alestorm because I thought they were just another gimmick band and it put me off a bit. But then... I don't know:

1. Thing is... I really like pirates and ships. Of course they are going to quote the PotC theme somewhere (and they did), but I actually happen to like the fact there is a band like that.

2. I like how they manage to incorporate other genres into power metal quite tastefully from time to time. When I first heard that black metal section in Death Throes of the Terrorsquid, I thought "this is interesting".

3. They absolutely refuse to take themselves seriously, yet they have the chops and musical ideas better than any "lightweight" band I think of.

With Ghost ... it's just that I couldn't get into them. I like some of the songs (Elizabeth, Cirice), but any given album is way too monotonous to me to listen to from start to finish. And I probably could get past the mock-Satanic image if I liked their music or the ("pseudo-offenssive") image would be somehow interesting to me, but it's not. And please, bear in mind that I'm really, really in love with the 70's in general, but there's really no reason why I wouldn't rather listen to original Sabbath, Kyuss, BÖC, Black Country Communion or tens of other bands instead of Ghost.

AS pretend to be a band of rowdy blotto gobshites, Ghost pretend to be comically "dark" (Tobias Forge keeps behaving in the same deadly serious manner all the time as Emeritus). I would personally pick Alestorm, though I see why others might choose otherwise.

Back