Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I find this interesting. While pi has been calculated to trillions of decimal places, this piece of information renders our curiosity for more completely useless.
"Let's go to the largest size there is: the visible universe. The radius of the universe is about 46 billion light years. Now let me ask a different question: How many digits of pi would we need to calculate the circumference of a circle with a radius of 46 billion light years to an accuracy equal to the diameter of a hydrogen atom (the simplest atom)? The answer is that you would need 39 or 40 decimal places(...)"

That moment when you realize Metalizer has the highest average score on The Metal Archives than any other Sabaton album.

These are to fucking die for!
BYY55nL.jpg

What about the invisible part - doesn't exist?

The right term is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe .
Pi contains all of the information available in the universe. There will be at least one iteration of an exact sequence of numbers somewhere in decimals of Pi. There was a neat thing called PiFS - a computer filesystem based around this. Every computer file is a sequence of bytes, so every file is a sequence of base 2 numerals which can be easily converted to a sequence of base 10 numerals. Therefore each and every file can be looked upon as a bunch of normal numbers. The PiFS tries to lookup this exact bunch in the Pi decimals. Once it finds it, it stores only the position of the starting decimal + length on the storage device. This is the information needed to access the data of the file by just looking through Pi. This enables PiFS to use just a dozen bytes on the disk for a file of basically any size. However any changes to the file will result in new seek through Pi, because it is now a new, different bunch of numbers. So ideal in storage terms and utterly useless because of the CPU requirements and I/O time (it can take hours or days to "save" this post as a txt file), but a nice show for our wonderful universe.

Nevertheless, according to astrophysics, there are galaxies further away from us than light could travel in the age of the universe (which means those galaxies aren't observable). That means that the matter those galaxies consists of must have 'travelled' faster than the speed of light after the big bang, otherwise it would be observable.

Do these astrophysical accounts say that these galaxies were actually observed, or do they postulate their existence on indirect data?

Which leads me to a question I asked a flatmate of mine years ago, a physisist with a doctorate from ETH (one of the best in the world). He couldn't answer it. Here's how I remember it:

Nothing in the universe is faster than the speed of light. Nevertheless, according to astrophysics, there are galaxies further away from us than light could travel in the age of the universe (which means those galaxies aren't observable). That means that the matter those galaxies consists of must have 'travelled' faster than the speed of light after the big bang, otherwise it would be observable. Which contradicts the axiom that nothing could be faster than the speed of light.
Space carrying galaxies can in theory expand (not travel) faster than the speed of light, if I remember correctly.
And besides, it's a well-known fact that the only thing travelling faster than light is bad news.

Back