Buckethead

I did not, it would require listening to most of them again. I will make it one day (and I have a rough idea already of the top 5 or so) but it’s going to be awhile.

438632.jpg

Bucketheadland and Giant Robot were more about having a good time at a great amusement park. This one is having a fucking nightmare about dead bodies and shit and morbidity and fuckwhatnot and I loved it! Some recycling of previous material but a great sequel to his first album. I wasn't sure what to expect but it's really won me over. The spoken words and that one guy who keeps singing about gutting bodies and whatever were great. All in all, his discography has really started to pull together here. Nicely done.

Rating: 8/10

So, since I've gone through 10 albums and 1 EP so far, I thought I'd go over them and rank them best to worst.

#11: The Day of the Robot - very samey, not much variation, gets old.
#10: KFC Skin Piles - weird and not much of note.
#9: Funnel Weaver - decent album but the short bits go nowhere.
#8: Bucketheadland - decent start to his career.
#7: Giant Robot - took Bucketheadland and revamped it. Good sophomore effort.
#6: Colma - it's a good album but certainly overrated. I'm sorry.
#5: Some Where Over The Slaughterhouse - the beginning of his electronic string and yet a really good album.
#4: Monsters and Robots - the last third of is meh, but the first two-thirds are awesome.
#3: Bucketheadland 2 - very good album, has some of his best moments yet.
#2: Electric Tears - everything that Colma should've been.
#1: Bermuda Triangle - I was told by Mosh that it would not conjure up images of the actual thing, and that I should go into it expecting little. And yet.... this is one of the greatest albums I've ever listened to. Doesn't get old.

Only the interview was asked to take down by one saying he is Brian Caroll, but PoliPoli8 says he is 100% sure it is not him.
Since the rest was not (asked to) take(n) down and the interview is everywhere else on YouTube (at least that's what he said one month ago). And many others still share a lot as well.

By the way: great solo in opening track of pike 118! YEAH!

Last edited:
Pike 118 - Elevator: And we're back to uninspired riffs and shredding.
:eek:

Listening to the first track, 10th Floor, this is awesome Mosh (5*); what you talking about?!
Indeed, what are you talking about?
I'll take your word on this one and maybe check it out again at some point..
Yes, do that! :)

Into track 2 now. Until now, all is very fine! Nice melodic riffing!

edit:
Okay, I admit the last one has lots of less melodic/interesting shredding going on. And that's by far the longest on the album.

Last edited:
438638.jpg

My first thought when I saw the cover and read the title was that this would basically be Bermuda Triangle Pt.2, and I was more or less correct. The album does feel like the beginning of Bermuda Triangle, but unlike album #8, it does not get progressively creepier, and, of course, it's not electronic-oriented. Still, was a decent album.

438640.jpg

This was a surprisingly great album. There's a nice groove here, and the songs are kinda mellow, which makes for a pleasant experience. Given that four of the songs are over seven minutes, you'd think that this would get a little monotonous here and there. It actually doesn't. Final track is a nice little throwback to artists like Stevie Ray Vaughn and George Thorogood - at least, that's what I'm hearing.

438644.jpg

Given the previous wave of 8/10s we've had, it's understandable that one would have to give sooner or later. I had some high hopes for this album, given it's allegedly his heaviest one. It does start out fairly heavy, but as it progresses it becomes pretty standard Buckethead. It drags a bit in the first 25 minutes, but the second half actually flies by and is pretty enjoyable. Still, not as good as some of the previous ones, but decent enough.

Rating: 7.5/10

438647.jpg

Thus far, this album is the odd record out in Bucket's discography. It's a groovy one, and of course, lots of vocals. At first I wasn't too impressed, but by track #4 I was into it. Some great moments are found within, Serj Tankian is at his finest, as are the rest of the "Friends" within this album, and, of course, Nottingham Lace. I can see why people love this one. It's no Soothsayer but it is a fine example of B's work.

Rating: 7.9/10

438652.jpg

A very experimental album. Not much of note here. Flew by, but only because I was doing other stuff while listening to it. Very meh, but does redeem itself with the last song, which I liked. Other than that though, not the best.

Rating: 5/10

438654.jpg

This one was a cool album to listen. Not Bucket's best, but it flew by and left me some favorable impressions. Will likely revisit it again in future.

Rating: 7.7/10

Gonna wait to get my copy
Haven't you heard the news? You're going to be waiting until "spring 2018" as the vinyl release has been seriously delayed. I cancelled my Slunk Pass purchase & requested a full refund; I'll maybe buy the vinyl next year when it becomes available. Despite this, they send me a DL link & code anyway (i.e. despite me now not having actually purchased anything!), that's how I'm listening to it. It's basically a Pike btw; only half an hour long. Seriously disappointing in terms of how the release has been handled overall; it's kind of unravelling as we speak.

Meanwhile...
https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/11/20/buckethead-guide/

OK yea I'm just now reading about it. That's very disappointing. I just bought the standard vinyl so I won't worry too much about it, but now I'm glad I didn't buy anything more than that. Didn't they Pikes service specifically say it's not a Pike? Are there any musicians on it other than Bucket?

Bandcamp article looks cool, looking forward to reading it.

Back