Best Eddie

Wow, Edward The Great is higher than I expected. Rainmaker is okay, and BBC Archives is actually a fairly decent cover.

To sum it up

TFF cover is quite good - the throwback feel makes you overlook certain low points (there's too much text for starters). I like the TFF Eddie, it was a different spin on the character.

I actually still like the Early Days cover, the cons you mentioned notwithstanding. The DVD was one of the first Maiden releases I actually bought (possibly even the very first), so maybe there's the nostalgia factor at play too, but I really like the feel of it.

NML is very meh. It doesn't have the half-baked CGI shit of DOD, but it's weirdly empty instead. Only goes to show they had a good Eddie at hands (the Grim Reaper), but didn't know how to use him. And again, Children of Bodom.

Rainmaker is a shitty mess. It's just ugly, not interesting, not appealing in any way. I'm surprised it ended this high.

Edward the Great is a cool idea, but a rather strange execution. When I first saw that one, I had trouble believing it was actually an official release. The dogs and the "roaring" leopard skin are especially ridiculous.

BBC is both a cool idea and execution, but the upper left corner is way too vacant, IMHO. Always felt weird to me.

It is ok, but I always preferred the Derek Riggs similar pic (can't remember if this was on the list you have of all the images)

11beast05.jpg

I second this. What's that building anyway?

61. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Riggs)
Overall: 4.83/10

2522.jpg

Ugh, this Eddie sucks. I'm sorry, he sucks, and it's clear Riggs is full into his "Don't give a fuck" phase. The goddamn horns look pasted on, the Eddie is dull and bestial (admittedly, the face looks pulled back towards some of the classic Riggs works, and not quite as vile as some of the similar options), but the body is just slapped together, the cheeks have a weird concave about them. Font can be hard to read, and Bruce being murdered is, well...Bruce came back, and Riggs did once or twice, but...yeah. Anyway, a poor Riggs piece. Someone gave it a 10 though.

Your votes:
10: 1
9: 0
8: 5
7: 6
6: 17
5: 5
4: 5
3: 7
2: 8
1: 4

Overall Rankings:
61 - Hallowed Be Thy Name - single - Riggs
62 - BBC Archives - live album - Riggs
63 - Rainmaker - single - Watson
62 - Edward the Great - compilation album - Adams
65 - No More Lies - EP - Patchett
66 - The Early Days - video - Peacock
67 - The Final Frontier - single - Dry
68 - Out of the Silent Planet, alternate - single - Wilkinson
69 - Different World - single - Greenhalgh
70 - Virtual XI - album - Grant
71 - The X Factor - album - Syme
72 - Visions of the Beast - video - Peacock
73 - Man on the Edge - single - Syme
74 - Run to the Hills, Rock in Rio - single - Unknown
75 - The X Factor, alternate - Syme
76 - Best of the B-Sides - compilation album - Wilkinson
77 - Wildest Dreams - single - Greenhalgh
78 - Virus, second alternate - single - Syme
79 - Dance of Death - album - Patchett
80 - Lord of the Flies - single - Syme
81 - Futureal - single - Synthetic Dimensions
82 - Virus, first alternate - single - Unknown
83 - Ed Hunter - compilation album - Synthetic Dimensions
84 - The Angel and the Gambler - single - Synthetic Dimensions

99% agree. The 1% comes from me looking at the picture and going, "well, ya know, it's actually a fairly well drawn picture", and the 99% percent comes from this is not how the cover to fucking Hallowed should look.

BBC and HBTN are my go-to examples when I have to argue that it's good Maiden and Riggs parted ways. It's obvious that he didn't want to draw Eddie anymore.

60. En Vivo! (Grant)
Overall: 4.84/10

iron-maiden-en-vivo-5215ad6e44186.jpg

What's most notable about this Eddie is the evolution from the cover of the actual album. Obviously, this Eddie was drawn to reflect more the Eddie that made up part of the stage, but look at the differences. Half of the teeth have turned to tendrils, which isn't present in the cover of the album. The half of the skull that had the brain revealed is no longer a revealed brain, but some sort of boils. Not sure I like this more than the original alien Eddie. It's drawn into the picture of the crowd, and it looks pretty good, but few people would argue alien Eddie is the finest form of the monster yet.

Your votes:
10: 0
9: 3
8: 5
7: 6
6: 10
5: 10
4: 4
3: 9
2: 8
1: 3

Overall Rankings:
60 - En Vivo! - live album - Grant
61 - Hallowed Be Thy Name - single - Riggs
62 - BBC Archives - live album - Riggs
63 - Rainmaker - single - Watson
62 - Edward the Great - compilation album - Adams
65 - No More Lies - EP - Patchett
66 - The Early Days - video - Peacock
67 - The Final Frontier - single - Dry
68 - Out of the Silent Planet, alternate - single - Wilkinson
69 - Different World - single - Greenhalgh
70 - Virtual XI - album - Grant
71 - The X Factor - album - Syme
72 - Visions of the Beast - video - Peacock
73 - Man on the Edge - single - Syme
74 - Run to the Hills, Rock in Rio - single - Unknown
75 - The X Factor, alternate - Syme
76 - Best of the B-Sides - compilation album - Wilkinson
77 - Wildest Dreams - single - Greenhalgh
78 - Virus, second alternate - single - Syme
79 - Dance of Death - album - Patchett
80 - Lord of the Flies - single - Syme
81 - Futureal - single - Synthetic Dimensions
82 - Virus, first alternate - single - Unknown
83 - Ed Hunter - compilation album - Synthetic Dimensions
84 - The Angel and the Gambler - single - Synthetic Dimensions

I liked Alien Eddie on the TFF cover but not so much on the tour artwork. Also not a big fan of the Eddie looking over the crowd format that they recycled from Rock in Rio.

I'd take a well drawn and well thought out TFF era alien Eddie over some of the half baked ones like that Hallowed cover any day.

I’m not a big fan of the Fear of the Dark Eddie, it was the first album I bought just after it came out, but to me it just didn’t compare to artwork on the previous albums that I was just starting to go out and get. I thought the artwork for the live albums at the time, along with the Hallowed cover were a marked improvement on the FOTD ones, in particular those that didn’t even feature Eddie.

At the time the FOTD album and singles artwork was an aberration for me, I really like the some of the No Prayer stuff, particularly the Daughter & Tailgunner singles, and with A Real Live One & Dead One, I thought they would continue on with Riggs, obviously I was incorrect in this assumption.

As such, the FOTD Eddie is not among my favourite but the whole cover itself is. It is a matter of light, economy of colours and general atmosphere I guess. Besides, writing the logo sideways was an innovation that worked in that case.

Besides, writing the logo sideways was an innovation that worked in that case.
This, 100%. I've actually heard people say they thought it was a dumb idea, but what the fuck do they know? ::) At any rate, I think it's a strong album with a strong cover.

Back