Buckethead

Certainly a much viewed one.

Damn I found more albums with more than 50.000 views (e.g. Balloon Cement, Slaughterhouse on the Prairie, pikes 10, 11, 85, 101, 125, 231, 73, 95). These were not listed in manner A (searching for Buckethead and filter view count) but are in B (searching for Buckethead pike or Buckethead album and filter view count). Will correct the list later.

Last edited:
I'm totally stunned.

EDIT: There's so much revelatory material in this interview it's hard to know where to start. One thing I always wondered & which he basically confirms is he really can't see that much in respect to playing live. One thing I've noticed with Buckethead (which you can't really miss if you've watched loads of live clips of him), that isn't that common with other "virtuoso guitar players", is that he sometimes slips seriously out of position while playing. I always suspected having a mask on probably didn't help him instantly "save" that kind of situation; which is what other players would do. And clearly that is actually a massive problem. He says "but I mean, I blow it a lot too [in terms of his live playing], so, and then I can't see 'cause I have these eye things on, it's hard to see..." and then goes on to describe how he "can't really see" and the audience looks "ghost like". Just one of the many very interesting insights...
Just thinking about that interview again (having listened to it all the way through, again) and it's pretty funny that he genuinely does want to open an amusement park! :lol:

Btw, check this chillout mix! :ok:

Tracklist:
01. Endtime by Praxis
02. Wake the Dead by Praxis
03. Transmutation 5 by Praxis
04. Earth Heals Herself by Buckethead
05. Hanging Gallows by Death Cube K ( aka Buckethead )
06. The Interworld and the New Innocence - Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) by Praxis
07. Maggot Dream by Death Cube K
08. The Cosmic Calendar by Buckethead
09. Fractal Shadows by Buckethead
10. Mrs. Beasley by Buckethead
11. Remember by Buckethead
12. Inferno by Buckethead
13. Last Light - In Search of the...Vol 6. Track 3 by Buckethead
14. Best Regards (Blue) Track 1 by Buckethead

Wall to Wall Cobwebs. This is an absolute musthave pike. Not for the first track, also no per se for the 2nd, but that 3rd! It possibly contains a top 3 solo! It's also that chord progression that haunts me. Only three chords. But this hits the perfect snare. Dutch (only?) expression.

Parts of the song reminded me of Smells Like Frogs, with some Backwards Chimney, heading towards Oneiric Pool and Buildor style.

EDIT:
Man. This song has atmosphere, colours, riffs and lead work of so much awesomeness and beauty. For those who "only" wish to hear the solo, go to 10:48
@Niall Kielt
@Zare
(everyone else)
Enjoy!

The man puts so much melody in his playing. I am totally not daunted by its speed passages. It's the patterns, the choices of notes. The way he switches back and forth to beautiful melodies.

Last edited:
First track, Infinity of the Spheres, is lovely with that slow, dreamy first ten minutes. The heavy mid-riff is just totally unexpected, as you say. Strange tone he has going on there (quite muddy), but the riffing just keeps on going; he's in a total writing groove here. Whole thing is just flat-out awesome. Fantastic track (5*). Liquid Mantis is laid-back & super cool. Another fantastic track (5*). Probably my favourite release of anything post-100 so far.
Wow. I don't think I remember you ever pointed out any favourite pikes, not as concrete as here. Thanks for that! Is it still the case, five months later? Fav post-100 release?

I'd still love to see you guys making a top something of your favourite pikes.

I will at some point but I’d have to essentially go through most of them again. Lately I’ve been more focused on revisiting his pre-Pike discography.

Finally made time to listen to the interview. Wow. I still can’t believe he did it. Lots of insight about him as a musician and a person. It also explains a lot of what he’s been doing over the past year or so.

Interesting he points out 2009 as being a great year. I looked at his discography and yea he was really on fire that year creatively.

Wow. I don't think I remember you ever pointed out any favourite pikes, not as concrete as here. Thanks for that! Is it still the case, five months later? Fav post-100 release?
Read carefully, I said so far. I just meant my favourite between #100 & that Pike (#116). That run had a lot of pretty uneven stuff earlier on but also some real standout tracks. Just think on this one both are stunning. Other two & three track Pikes in that range have weaker tracks. Think that still holds.
I'd still love to see you guys making a top something of your favourite pikes.
Patience my son...
Wall to Wall Cobwebs. This is an absolute musthave pike. Not for the first track, also no per se for the 2nd, but that 3rd! It possibly contains a top 3 solo! It's also that chord progression that haunts me. Only three chords. But this hits the perfect snare. Dutch (only?) expression.
I think the second track is class too; buy, yeh, Wall to Wall Cobwebs (the track) is stunning.
Parts of the song reminded me of Smells Like Frogs, with some Backwards Chimney, heading towards Oneiric Pool and Buildor style.
And that is why it's so good.
Im 6mins in to this. Utterly deadly. Hes some boy.
Just tell me when you're read to jump on the ride...

10535.jpg
1066.jpg
8805.jpg
12290.jpg

Diesel Listens To Sabaton & Other Stories
When do I get to hear your other stories?
When I start listening to Buckethead.

The time has come.

438585.jpg

Certainly the weirdest album I've ever listened to, by far. Has a lot going on within it, and 58 minutes is a long time for an instrumental album (though apparently it gets longer). So, coming from a person who typically dislikes too much instrumental and prefers vocals, I enjoyed this. While it's definitely too long and should be shortened, it's also got a lot of interesting moments, particularly the first track and that line, "They were out at the slaughterhouse - nosin'", which is one of the funniest things in music history as of now. It kept my attention for most of the entire album, and while it's certainly not perfect, it's an impressive debut and I'm genuinely interested as to how the rest of the albums sound.
Rating: 6.5/10

For comparison:
You forget the Metal Archive's rating, which is currently 15% between two reviewers. Because of this I went in expecting little and enjoyed quite a bit.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the production, which was worse than Mayhem IMO. In other words, at least it works in black metal. Here it's just wrong.

Mosh is of the opinion (I think) that Buckethead's production has generally got better with time. I kind of agree, but some recent material (i.e. some of the Pikes) is mixed, how shall we say, oddly. I'm sure it's intentional, but it doesn't always work.

I thought the production on Bucketheadland was actually pretty good...
Production is very raw. The drum machine isn't nearly as convincing as it is now, but that's OK. The low budget drum machine and production gives this the vibe of an audio equivalent to a B movie, which is appropriate for the album theme.
... or at least partly intentional.

Last edited:
From what I've read, I don't think many people agree with you, including me, but to each his own. Still a decent album despite it.

Back