Official Hockey discussion thread

It's not only the Jets, it's because this is the year that the Flames will enter the top 5 in the league and contend for the Stanley Cup, after a 4 year rebuild.

Last edited:
It's not only the Jets, it's because this is the year that the Flames will enter the top 5 in the league and contend for the Stanley Cup, after a 4 year rebuild.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

It's only been a few days, but is it me or is offense up already? these scores are amazing! 5-4, 10-1, 8-5, etc.... holy crap!
Well, they are supposed to be enforcing slashing and such. And Ovechkin cut 30 lbs over the summer - I bet it's helping his game.

He's Mexican, surprised he can get on the internet at all.

I'd share my account with someone if they really want it - I'm the only one using it.

LOL, I should clarify. I have an account, but I didn't have an active debit/credit card do to changing jobs. I just got it last Friday, I get my direct deposit this Friday so I'll be able to reactivate it, finally.

In fact The only thing I have at home is Internet for my chromebook and Xbox One. No cable, no phone, nothing. I've been watching A LOT of youtube.

Should be an interesting watch. I'll look for it this weekend. I have seen a lot of tidbits here and there regarding enforcers throughout the years. Remember Chris Simon? Sports Illustrated did a piece about him back in the late 90's regarding exactly that. The Bruins had an enforcer back in the 70s who was actually reprimanded for scoring goals! Now you can't be one without at least aiming for 20 goals.

I read "5 Questions with Doug Gilmore," last night on NHL.com and he said when his kids watch footage of him back in the early 90's they ask him, "What are the rules dad?" He replies, "Don't slash someone to hard and don't trip, other than that there were no rules." I scoffed and told my screen, "Oversimplifying much, Doug?" How about no hand pass, no kicking the puck into the net, icing, no two-line pass, spearing, etc.... No rules, it wasn't the fucking 50s when players were hacked at their heads with sticks like Scotty Bowman. Or the 70s when Philadelphia literally bullied their way to two straight Cups. *sigh*

Anyway, McDavid vs. Crosby, I mean, Oilers vs. Penguins tonight. Should be good.

Finally watched Iced Guardians. My only complaint is how they glazed over The tragic deaths of Belak, Boogard, Rypen and others. They accuse the media for oversimplifying it as "oh it's because they're enforcers," yet they oversimplify it by saying, "Well, people have issues beyond the game." The truth is somewhere in the middle. Here is the original discussion we had here regarding those deaths (and those in Russia), back in September of 2011. It's in spoiler tags, because I just copy pasted.

1. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    Gees, it maybe the NHL's offseason, but players keep cropping up dead... Wade Belak is the latest,

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587564

Hystoria

Onhell, Sep 1, 2011EditDeleteReport
    #2525Reply

2. LooseCannonYorktown-class aircraft carrierStaff Member
    NBC is reporting he hanged himself.

LooseCannon, Sep 1, 2011Report
    #2526LikeReply

3. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    That was the news on NHL.com as well... Do we even know what happened to Rypen? the article said Mounted police found him dead in his apartment and ruled it "non-suspicious," but nothing since. Boogard was "accidental overdose" and now belak commits suicide... freaking tragic. A lot of players dying WAY before their time it seems... for the last few years too... so sad.

Hystoria

#2527Reply

4. TakerCannon Fodder
    Rypien was suicide too. Every article was spotlighting his battle with clinical depression...

Taker, Sep 1, 2011Report
    #2528LikeReply

5. mckindogLiving for Sanctuary from the lawStaff Member
    Yeah, the reporters were pretty circumspect about it, but it was pretty clear he took his own life.
    Suicides are usually handled that way by the media kid gloves, unless you're talking a celebrity.
    Not sure why they have been more open about it with Belak.
    BTW, my brother-in-law worked with Rypien's dad.

mckindog, Sep 1, 2011Report
    #2529LikeReply

6. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    I legitimately feel horrible :(.... I have no idea why, it's not like I knew them personally or even professionally, they were role players, but for whatever reason I feel like it was my brother who took his own life.

Hystoria

Onhell, Sep 2, 2011EditDeleteReport
    #2530Reply

7. TakerCannon Fodder
    Yeah man, suicide is a jagged pill... it's become an epidemic, but it's very often hushed up or tiptoed around. Hell of a thing to deal with for those that are left behind...

Taker, Sep 2, 2011Report
    #2531LikeReply

8. GuineaPigAncient Mariner
    It's looking like it was auto-erotic asphyxiation.

www.youtube.com/graemecrackers for awesome (and rare) Maiden videos!
    GuineaPig, Sep 3, 2011Report
    #2532LikeReply

9. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    Really? huh, accidental suicide a la David Carradine, ey.... even sadder.

Hystoria

Onhell, Sep 3, 2011EditDeleteReport
    #2533Reply

10. Nigel TufnelAncient Mariner
    Michael Hutchence died the same way too.

Nigel Tufnel, Sep 6, 2011Report
    #2534LikeReply

11. LooseCannonYorktown-class aircraft carrierStaff Member
    The plane carrying the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl has crashed today; 36 dead, including former NHL players Ruslan Salei, Pavol Demitra, Josef Vasichek, and Karel Rachunek.

LooseCannon, Sep 7, 2011Report
    #2535LikeReply

12. ForostarConjure the Death Star again
    Terrible. Again in Russia....

(fragment of BBC news article)

43 out of 45 dead.

Two people survived with serious injuries after the disaster, which saw the jet burst into flames shortly after leaving an airport near the city. It appears many of the team were aboard, heading to Belarus for the season's first match. Russian reports suggest the jet may have struck a radio mast.

Witnesses saw it burst into flames shortly after taking off from the airport, about 250km (160 miles) north-east of Moscow.

A number of foreign citizens were killed, including the team's Canadian coach, Brad McKinnon, and Swedish goalie Stefan Liv. Russian player Alexander Galimov survived the crash with 80% burns along with a member of the crew. Russian media briefly reported the player had died of his injuries, but a medical source later told the Russian news website Sovetsky Sport he was still alive.

Forostar, Sep 7, 2011Report
    #2536LikeReply

13. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    Foro, you beat me too it, but yet another tragic day in Hockey, Former NHLer Demitra was also among the dead :( http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792

Finally watched Iced Guardians. My only complaint is how they glazed over The tragic deaths of Belak, Boogard, Rypen and others. They accuse the media for oversimplifying it as "oh it's because they're enforcers," yet they oversimplify it by saying, "Well, people have issues beyond the game." The truth is somewhere in the middle. Here is the original discussion we had here regarding those deaths (and those in Russia), back in September of 2011. It's in spoiler tags, because I just copy pasted.

1. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    Gees, it maybe the NHL's offseason, but players keep cropping up dead... Wade Belak is the latest,

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587564

Hystoria

#2525Reply

2. LooseCannonYorktown-class aircraft carrierStaff Member
    NBC is reporting he hanged himself.

LooseCannon, Sep 1, 2011Report
    #2526LikeReply

3. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    That was the news on NHL.com as well... Do we even know what happened to Rypen? the article said Mounted police found him dead in his apartment and ruled it "non-suspicious," but nothing since. Boogard was "accidental overdose" and now belak commits suicide... freaking tragic. A lot of players dying WAY before their time it seems... for the last few years too... so sad.

Hystoria

#2527Reply

4. TakerCannon Fodder
    Rypien was suicide too. Every article was spotlighting his battle with clinical depression...

Taker, Sep 1, 2011Report
    #2528LikeReply

5. mckindogLiving for Sanctuary from the lawStaff Member
    Yeah, the reporters were pretty circumspect about it, but it was pretty clear he took his own life.
    Suicides are usually handled that way by the media kid gloves, unless you're talking a celebrity.
    Not sure why they have been more open about it with Belak.
    BTW, my brother-in-law worked with Rypien's dad.

mckindog, Sep 1, 2011Report
    #2529LikeReply

6. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    I legitimately feel horrible :(.... I have no idea why, it's not like I knew them personally or even professionally, they were role players, but for whatever reason I feel like it was my brother who took his own life.

Hystoria

Onhell, Sep 2, 2011EditDeleteReport
    #2530Reply

7. TakerCannon Fodder
    Yeah man, suicide is a jagged pill... it's become an epidemic, but it's very often hushed up or tiptoed around. Hell of a thing to deal with for those that are left behind...

Taker, Sep 2, 2011Report
    #2531LikeReply

8. GuineaPigAncient Mariner
    It's looking like it was auto-erotic asphyxiation.

www.youtube.com/graemecrackers for awesome (and rare) Maiden videos!
    GuineaPig, Sep 3, 2011Report
    #2532LikeReply

9. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    Really? huh, accidental suicide a la David Carradine, ey.... even sadder.

Hystoria

Onhell, Sep 3, 2011EditDeleteReport
    #2533Reply

10. Nigel TufnelAncient Mariner
    Michael Hutchence died the same way too.

Nigel Tufnel, Sep 6, 2011Report
    #2534LikeReply

11. LooseCannonYorktown-class aircraft carrierStaff Member
    The plane carrying the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl has crashed today; 36 dead, including former NHL players Ruslan Salei, Pavol Demitra, Josef Vasichek, and Karel Rachunek.

LooseCannon, Sep 7, 2011Report
    #2535LikeReply

12. ForostarConjure the Death Star again
    Terrible. Again in Russia....

(fragment of BBC news article)

43 out of 45 dead.

Two people survived with serious injuries after the disaster, which saw the jet burst into flames shortly after leaving an airport near the city. It appears many of the team were aboard, heading to Belarus for the season's first match. Russian reports suggest the jet may have struck a radio mast.

Witnesses saw it burst into flames shortly after taking off from the airport, about 250km (160 miles) north-east of Moscow.

A number of foreign citizens were killed, including the team's Canadian coach, Brad McKinnon, and Swedish goalie Stefan Liv. Russian player Alexander Galimov survived the crash with 80% burns along with a member of the crew. Russian media briefly reported the player had died of his injuries, but a medical source later told the Russian news website Sovetsky Sport he was still alive.

Forostar, Sep 7, 2011Report
    #2536LikeReply

13. OnhellMexican Revolutionary
    Foro, you beat me too it, but yet another tragic day in Hockey, Former NHLer Demitra was also among the dead :( http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792

YeahI get where you're coming from but some cool footage in the programme overall

Indeed. It was great to get so many enforcers on there and get their point of view. Not enough counterpoint, just the neurologist, who quickly gets dismissed lol. But I LOVED having Brett Hull defending these guys. Very good perspectives and points being made.

Duchane finally got traded. I was talking with a buddy of mine last night, the three team deal appears to be win/win/win for the teams. OTT gets a good center, Nashville gets help up front with Kyle Turris and Colorado stocked up on picks, young players and a good goalie in Andrew Hammond. OTT and NASH seem to be going all in for another chance at deep playoff runs.

Back