Official MLB baseball thread.

I really hope the Cubs can finish it off today at Wrigley. It would save them from having to fly back to Washington for a decisive game 5 against Strasburg, and allow them to start a fully rested Hendricks in game 1 against LA.

No kidding, it was like the WS last year ... it is just so unusual not seeing all those bad things happen to the Cubs ... strike 3 works out well, catchers interference, hit batter, man that was odd

Looks like they're saving the bad things for this series. That overturned call at the plate in Game 1 was horrid, although it's totally on Maddon for bringing Lackey in at the end of Game 2. His rationale - saving Wade Davis for "when the Cubs have a lead" - was completely asinine.

Obviously not our year this year .. but it is cool. 3 NLCS trips in a row and a championship ... more than I thought I would ever see in my lifetime. It would be disappointing if they did not win at least one more with this core of players ... I would imagine pitching will be the key in the off season, I am assuming Lackey and Jake are gone ... maybe Montgomery is the 5th starter, so they need one more, plus the pen could use some work .. much more if Davis walks.

The only real questions on the position players (pending any trades) is who will be the backup catcher and do they re-sign Jay (as much as I like him, it looks like Almora time in CF).

Lackey and Arrieta will definitely be gone, but I don't like Meatball Montgomery as the 5th starter. After Edwards walked an AL pitcher with the bases loaded last night, I think they should completely dismantle the bullpen save for Davis and possibly Strop. It's sickening.

Jon Jay would provide some good pop off the bench but I agree about it being time for Almora to be the everyday center fielder. Isn't Bryce Harper going to be a free agent? I say they sign him and get out of the Heyward deal, if they can. I know Harper has a bit of an attitude but he'd shape up on the Cubs, and Yasiel Puig makes him look like a choir boy.

Nice to avoid the sweep

I would hang onto Edwards .. he had a good year and is young and cheap (by baseball standards) ... he can bounce back.
Duensing is decent enough, Strop is good,

Davis is a FA, so they need to sign him. I think they are going to try to sign shorter term pitchers given Baez, Russell, Bryant, Contreras are all going to be arbitration eligible soon and they will command some big contracts. Though Montero, Jake, and Lackey go off the books after this year, Zorbrist has one more year to go on his contract, so that will help.

Harper has one more season, then he is a FA

Montgomery was okay when he started this year ... he could be a decent enough 5th starter if the top 4 is good, which it should be with Hendricks, Lester, and Q. I am guessing they will try for someone like Lackey )not Lackey, but a vet who will sign a 1 or 2 year deal) to be the #4 ... then there are guys like Butler and Tseng at Iowa who maybe get a shot at #5 .. not sure either of them are better than Montgomery though

As much as a would love to see it, I don't think there's any chance the Cubs will land Bryce Harper. He could be looking at a $400 million+ total contract when he does become a free agent, and I doubt the Cubs would go that high. The Yankees are a strong possibility for him.

In terms of starting pitching for next year, I can see the Cubs making a trade for a quality pitcher on a decent contract. Maybe for someone like Chris Archer. The Cubs would likely have to deal either Ian Happ or Kyle Schwarber in a scenario like this.

I think trading for someone with years of team control is a possibility ... as much as I like him, Schwarber to the the AL makes a lot of sense, I would hate to trade Happ as he pretty much replaces Zorbist. Despite a down year, a lot of teams will like him as a DH/occasional outfielder with a ton of power In any case, either a trade like that or a 1 or 2 year deal for a vet .

There is also a Japanese pitcher coming over this year that a lot of teams like, I expect they make a huge run at him, given the new international signing rules, all teams can pretty much offer him the same contract. The Cubs being contenders would be a nice draw for sure.

This guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shohei_Otani

They could sign him and make a trade or sign a vet, then leave Montgomery as the swing man/6th starter

As for Harper, it really depends on what the market is, but I doubt they will get him too ... he will want way too much given they will need to pay the entire infield in the not too distant future. I doubt Heyward opts out, his contract is not easy to trade. Hopefully he takes another step next year, this year was certainly better than last. If anything, he plays a really good right field

Otani would be cool for that fact that he's not only a great pitcher, he's a really great hitter as well. It would be really cool to see how he's utilized in the MLB. He would be able to pinch hit on days he's not starting, possibly even play the field, or DH if he goes to the AL.

If any manager can find a way to use him, it is Maddon ... look at Travis Wood, had a decent run with the Cubs, but best known for his catch in left field

Back