NOW WATCHING

In Bruges has easily become one of my top films of all time. Just all around aces in regards to writing, acting, directing, etc. What a great film.

@JudasMyGuide - If you haven’t seen them I highly recommend Martin McDonagh’s plays, even if you just read the text. Great, hilarious, bleak material.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got to him through his brother (Calvary is one of my favourite movies, actually).

Thanks for the recommendation. I got to him through his brother (Calvary is one of my favourite movies, actually).

Oh God, Calvary is brilliant. Such an awesome film. Both brothers are hit and miss for me on their films, In Bruges and Calvary are amazing and I find Seven Psychopaths and The Guard to be a little too much, a little trying too hard. Still quite entertaining, though.

:applause:
applause.gif
applause.gif

Seven_Psychopaths_Poster.jpg

Seven Psychopaths (2012)

Yeah, Knicks was right - this is not as good as either In Bruges or Calvary, but I'd say it's quite amazing in its own way all the same. In fact, if I was supposed to take into consideration only the "film-making" element, this one might actually win, because the way it works with tropes and clichés, how it's still somehow coherent despite definitely not being such (if only for the fact the first half seems like another Tarantino/Ritchie flick, only to be completely turned upside down in the third quarter and the second half in general) and how it manages to have this very strong atmosphere despite not using either Bruges or rural Ireland as its setting etc. makes it a wonder to be seen. The actors are very well picked and they all truly do their best. I mean - both Bruges and Calvary are masterpieces, standing tall above most of their competitors, that makes all the comparisons hard and eventually useless. Yet - while I might not have enjoyed this one as much - I will surely want to revisit this quirky project. Definitely a movie I would easily forget. McDonagh is a killer screenwriter, indeed.

Finally saw the new version of It - I enjoyed it, but overall thought it could have used more character work and less gore. Also could have benefited from a less is more, Jaws-esque philosophy when it comes to the villain.

Seven Psychopaths (2012)

Yeah, Knicks was right - this is not as good as either In Bruges or Calvary, but I'd say it's quite amazing in its own way all the same. In fact, if I was supposed to take into consideration only the "film-making" element, this one might actually win, because the way it works with tropes and clichés, how it's still somehow coherent despite definitely not being such (if only for the fact the first half seems like another Tarantino/Ritchie flick, only to be completely turned upside down in the third quarter and the second half in general) and how it manages to have this very strong atmosphere despite not using either Bruges or rural Ireland as its setting etc. makes it a wonder to be seen. The actors are very well picked and they all truly do their best. I mean - both Bruges and Calvary are masterpieces, standing tall above most of their competitors, that makes all the comparisons hard and eventually useless. Yet - while I might not have enjoyed this one as much - I will surely want to revisit this quirky project. Definitely a movie I would easily forget. McDonagh is a killer screenwriter, indeed.

I really need to revisit it. At the time, I remember being disappointed with how different it felt in comparison to McDonagh's other work, but there's certainly something to admire in that. I'll have to watch it again soon.

New Walking Dead tonight, and I'm still a few seasons behind. Not that it matters, because I saw the last one, but it would be good to catch up on all the bits I've missed.

New Walking Dead tonight, and I'm still a few seasons behind. Not that it matters, because I saw the last one, but it would be good to catch up on all the bits I've missed.

I'm currently catching up on Fear The Walking Dead (which I initially dropped due to lack of interest). Apparently the two shows are going to intertwine this year.

I've seen every episode of The Walking Dead, but haven't seen anything at all of FTWD. I do intend to start it at some point..

FTWD has its problems (not a lot of likeable characters and characters going from smart to idiots then back to smart way too often), but it's 100x faster. Even if a setting/plot point annoys you, it won't last more than a few episodes.

Also, FTWD's S3 was visually the best of all shows and looked like it had the biggest budget. It's probably because TWD has to pay an enormous cast whereas FTWD isn't bound by comic books so they can just cut the cost by killing them off whenever, and using the money for CGI and bigger sets.

I'll take a look at it, but IMO the strongest aspect of Walking Dead is the character development/group politics. I think it would be difficult to get into without characters you either identify with/like, or grow suspicious of/loathe.

I'm almost through S2 of FTWD and although there are aspects I do not like (some character decisions, the same "let's split them up" storytelling used in TWD), I do appreciate the pace. Although they don't rely as heavily on the group politics, they do dig a bit deeper into how the zombie outbreak affects people and how different people view the outbreak (emotionally, religiously, theoretically) which is a nice change from the more internally-focused group stuff in TWD.

Anyone watching season 2 of Stranger Things? I saw the first two episodes so far and it looks great.

I also saw the first 2 episodes and it does look great :D Maybe a bit slower than the first season, but that's probably because we know the characters and they don't need to set up the main mystery right away.

Finally got around to watching IT. It was better than expected. Great acting from the kids, and nice to see the kid from Stranger Things doing something other than Netflix lol.

Back