Tailgunner

How good is Tailgunner on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I give it a 9, it's actually my favorite song on the album. Lots of people say it's them trying to do another Aces High, I disagree. Tailgunner is very much its own thing, a cool little opener with an awesome chorus. Love it.

I give it a 9, it's actually my favorite song on the album. Lots of people say it's them trying to do another Aces High, I disagree. Tailgunner is very much its own thing, a cool littile opener with an awesome chorus. Love it.

Tailgunner cannot be a hit opener because, inside some fan heads, it lives under NPFTD shadow.
For me this song is a winner. A more elaborated intro than Aces High.

Strong opener to an otherwise weak(er) album. Very energetic and powerful, although the lyrics are pretty simple. The chorus is catchy as hell and is very uplifting, fun to sing along to. I don't know exactly what score to give this song, but it's somewhere between a 7 and an 8. I'll give it an 8.

I think this is a very good opener, for an album that is clearly not among Maiden’s best but at the same time doesn’t deserve as much hate as it gets. Energetic rocker, 8/10

A nice rocker, could have been better with an extra line or two of lyrics in the chorus, it's getting a bit much some days. But the rest is fine, feels a bit like a forgotten song.

An energetic intro builds nicely into a pretty strong verse. Bruce is a little growly, but not too bad. This breaks into a nice melodic chorus, which is weakened a bit by the overly on-the-nose "you're a tailgunner" lyric.

This kicks directly into a great percussive bridge and solo section (Janick actually acquits himself nicely in his first appearance here), then back through the verse and chorus before wrapping it up on the verse riff. Bruce's delivery on the second verse seems oddly casual for the subject matter, but it's not too distracting.

This is a strong, focused opener that's only held back slightly by the vocals. Great energy. 8/10.

A building piece of guitar and drums draws open the curtains on a rising sun as the engines roar into being and we see a war machine take to the skies. Bruce is finally using his rasp and he does it fairly well. The verses are pretty cool and the chorus is awesome. "Tailgunner" suffers from too many "Aces High" comparisons. It isn't reinventing it, it's just another song about planes that does things differently. A great opener. 9

Great song for a opener. The intro is very good (a highlight of the song, for sure), Superb melodic riff/s, verses and the chorus is not so strong, but fits the song prefectly. Both solos are awesome and Nicko's drumming is good too. The end of the song is super. I hope Maiden will play it live again. 8/10.

Great opener, very energetic with great intro, verses and catchy chorus, wild guitar solos and 1st contribution of Janick. 8/10
I must be the few people that like No prayer for the dying. To me the album is a 7/10. It has a couple of songs I don't like: Public enema nº.1 and Fates warning
I prefer No prayer to Virtual XI

Really lively riff opens us up, and the song takes off into the sky almost immediately, shooting down the runway and ascending into the war torn heavens. The verses are fun, despite bordering on stock, and the instrumental section doesn’t quite come together, but man is that chorus awesome! I love the heavy presence of bass and guitar switching back and forth like jet streams in open air. While it doesn’t 100% come together, it’s still a great, underrated Iron Maiden opener. 8/10

Back