'burning Ambition'

A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Burning Ambition' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Likewise, as tastes are pretty subjective and personal, I prefer to leave the appreciation of the song to a democratic vote and you can rate the song here. It would also be nice if you could let us know why you like/dislike it.

Cheers! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

Good song for a frist. Lyrics...well, I don't think that i could get better lyrics for my first song...Musicaly speaking, it's pretty melodic and pretty well tied togheter.

It's a good track, very 1970s hard rock but that's not really a bad thing! But for a Harris track it's quite sub-par, although it was his first.

3.5/5

Have to agree with Black Ace, pretty well done for the first self-penned song, but only a glimpse of what was to come later.

[!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ???
My vote and my comments have disappeard !!?? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

So I've voted once again ( if I remember well, it was 3/5).

I don't remember my comments ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Something about his band, 'Smiler', who founded it too hard to play.
All the "Maiden elements" are in this song : tempo change, harmonized guitars and amazing solos.

I like this song ! (in fact, I remember my comments... it was not really interesting... [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

You can clearly hear Steve's influences here. Although it's a great track (and the first one I actually played on bass by Maiden) I'm lucky that Maiden "changed" their style - I'll give it a 3,5

i think this is a very good song, this is the second iron maiden track i ever heard, the first was running free the a- side, very nostalgic for me, this track.

Re: 'burning Ambition'

very direct, I like it....it's funny this early Maiden lyric style like

And when I get these feelings honey, you better keep away from me
There's things in life now, baby, that I know I've got to do
And I need your love now, baby, to help me see it through

Re: 'burning Ambition'

______no5 said:
very direct, I like it....it's funny this early Maiden lyric style like

And when I get these feelings honey, you better keep away from me
There's things in life now, baby, that I know I've got to do
And I need your love now, baby, to help me see it through

Since i'm hearing this album for the first time since... well, i will comment this one.

Maybe that lyrics are Kiss' influenced. Anyway, despite interesting guitar riff, a b-side it is. 5\10.

4/10

The bonus tracks are mostly forgettable on the whole album. Burning Ambition is impressive considering Steve Harris wrote the song while still a teenager, but it sounds nothing like a Maiden track.

Very unusal song for Maiden, but I like the vibe and the cool verses, and a okay guitar solo to.

7/10

This is so different from anything else Maiden ever wrote, yet it's also pretty damn good! There's a happy vibe in the song, and it feels like the kind of thing a young band would record. Possibly a Beatles vibe in there too. Love it. 8.5/10.

According to FC Magazine No. 15, 'Burning Ambition' was the first song that Harris wrote while still at school. Maiden presumably played it at least until mid-1977. Another interesting fact about this song is that it was recorded before the band entered the studio to record their debut album and while they were still a four-piece (Harris-Di'Anno-Murray-Sampson) making it the first song that was officially released with a former band member.

"So when I started writing my own stuff, it was with a lot of combinations and time changes and power. I wanted to do my first real song with Smiler, but when I brought it to them they said, 'Oh shit, this has too many time changes, we're not bloody doing this!'" (Steve Harris for Michael Smolden – Guitar Player 1988)

Like to know more info like this? Get my book at https://www.subscribepage.com/luisma666

Some may find strange that Smiler refused to do Burning Ambition because of the alleged time changes. At the time Steve had expanded the song to something like a 8-min rock prog, so they were not exagerating in not wanting to play that!

Some may find strange that Smiler refused to do Burning Ambition because of the alleged time changes. At the time Steve had expanded the song to something like a 8-min rock prog, so they were not exagerating in not wanting to play that!

Also it wasn't as fast as the version we all know by now, so the time changes weren't as abrupt

- first song written by Steve and the only song with Doug Sampson on drums.

Nice short song... good solo, melodies, riffs and verses. I like it.

Really like this song. A bit different from most of the songs from the 1st album. Would love Maiden to play a random 'oldie' at the end of each gig a bit like Metallica do. Maybe this could be one of them.

Back