The Concert Thread

Saw Bryan Adams for the first time (as a headliner) last night. Was very impressed by how well he still sings as well as how professional the entire show was. He and his band were dressed like they do in the Brand New Day video in suits (without the tie) with a bit of folded handkerchief showing from the jacket pocket.

The visuals on the screen were very well done. Especially the spooky one while waiting for the show to start which is the new album cover. It shows Bryan starting at you with a model who has her hands on his face. Then with no warning, when you think it is a still photo, his eyes or mouth will move quickly and then stop ("Did I see that?"). Then, as showtime gets closer, there is more movement: a fly buzzing around him causes his eyes to follow it until it lands on his nose and he is cross-eyed; his cell phone goes off which he silences, and then when the lights go off the model moves back and he finally moves and screams at the audience. During Summer of '69, the camera is zoomed in on a nude female model who was the lyrics written on her, including (of course) her breasts. My son was upset because his mother kept (jokingly) using her hands to try cover his eyes! Every song was a different visual effect or shot.

Perfect mix of new, old, and deep cuts. The five new songs are original but are tributes to rockabilly rock 'n' roll. His lead guitarist is a student of Clapton/Gilmour style. Great retro concert. Good for him for keeping simple rock alive. This was my first show at the Smart Financial Centre in Sugarland. Nice new place that sits about 6,000. Heard many horror stories about taking an hour to get both in and out of the parking lot so I got there 90 minutes early and left during the last song so we had no problems.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brya...tre-at-sugar-land-sugar-land-tx-53e23319.html

Last edited:
This Friday......

What is Ayreon Universe?
Ayreon Universe is Ayreon live in concert for the first time ever, organized and arranged by Arjen A. Lucassen and Joost van den Broek.

There will be no less than 16 original Ayreon singers including backing vocals, as well as a hand-picked band of 8 of the best instrumentalists.

The Ayreon Universe set list features selected songs from all Ayreon albums plus a selection of Star One songs.

Arjen will make a special appearance performing live on stage.

Vocalists
Floor Jansen - Nightwish
Damian Wilson - Threshold
Hansi Kürsch - Blind Guardian
Tommy Karevik - Kamelot
Anneke van Giersbergen - The Gentle Storm
Marco Hietala - Nightwish
Jonas Renkse - Katatonia
Mike Mills - Toehider
Marcela Bovio - Stream of Passion
Irene Jansen - Ayreon
Robert Soeterboek - Star One
John Jaycee Cuijpers - Praying Mantis
Edward Reekers - Kayak
Jay van Feggelen - Ayreon
Maggy Luyten - Nightmare
Lisette van den Berg - Scarlet Stories

Instrumentalists
Ed Warby - Drums
Johan van Stratum - Bass
Marcel Coenen - Lead guitar
Ferry Duijsens - Guitar
Joost van den Broek - Keyboards
Ben Mathot - Violin
Jeroen Goossens - Flutes, woodwinds
Maaike Peterse - Cello

Floor Jansen, Hansi Kursch, Anneke van Giersbergen and Marco Hietalalalalalala at the same show. Not bad. I know someone else going to that actually.

Agreed. I'm not sure if it's so much physical injuries, but the emotional impact of losing people close to you like that must be pretty tough to deal with.

Jazz isn't really my thing, but I'll see what happens if/when I'm there.

Check out the local New Orleans music scene for sure. Jazz - maybe the old-time Preservation Hall stuff, which is impressive if you really listen, but funk, soul, and rock is where it's at there. Get out of the French Quarter and check out the Maple Leaf, Tipitina's, and the clubs on Frenchmen Street in the Marigny. And take cabs and be aware of your surroundings at all times, even in touristy areas; it's not a safe town and street crime is everywhere.

So here's my current concert schedule:

Saturday - Scorpions & Megadeth
11/3 - Dream Theater
11/24 - A Perfect Circle

Oh great. An international conference in a crime-riddled city. Great. ::)

Don't freak out too bad about it. I've visited several times & had no problems. Friend of mine who lived there got strong-arm mugged by a couple of teenagers in her front yard once. Just maintain situational awareness and common sense, don't get out-of-control drunk and wander by yourself at night, and you should be fine. It's a really fun town. Just that there are bad neighborhoods very close to "good" neighborhoods.

Saturday - Scorpions & Megadeth
Saw this last night, it was a really awesome show.

A good friend of mine and me have been meaning to see Megadeth together for years now. We finally got it to work out with this show, and it did not disappoint. The performance was flawless, and Dave Mustaine honestly sounded really good, a lot better than I was expecting.

The setlist was awesome. The biggest highlights to me were
Hangar 18, Trust, and Tornado of Souls
The Dystopia songs also went down really well.

I've never really listened to Scorpions all that much, but I thought they were very impressive. I'm only really familiar with their bigger hits, but a lot of their other songs that they played sounded really good. They played a Motorhead cover too, which I can't say that I was expecting.

I was a little curious to see how Rock You Like a Hurricane was going to go down, in the aftermath of all the devastating storms we've been having this year. They talked a little about it, and put up phone numbers and ways to donate to hurricane relief up on the big screens during the song, so that was pretty cool.

All in all, great show! :rocker:

I saw Evergrey again on Tuesday - that's the third year in a row I've seen them after initially waiting about 12 years. Of the three, this was the best one despite the crappy venue (Camden Underworld) and the support band nobody had ever heard of (Need, although they seemed OK to be fair). It's a shame that they're not more popular as their music lends itself to more spacious venues. I hope they get a decent slot at a UK festival next year to boost their profile a bit. This was the setlist for anyone who is interested.

Next up is Alter Bridge in the Royal Albert Hall on Monday.

Back