Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither, 'Over the Wall' and 'Fall of Sipledome'.

That's a great cover. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Love the double bass drums. Don't like how Chuck Billy says "laid to waste" in the chorus. But, yes, one of the best maiden covers ever.

I've been corrected on that one, multiple tours but really a low amount of shows. We're talking dates for Clive, AMOLAD 2nd leg and SBiT 2nd leg. Powerslave, until TBOS, was featured on three full legs (EHT, SBiT 1/2)

Correct. The last time Children of the Damned was played on an extensive tour was in 1986/1987!

along with many other songs.... a lot went to the grave that tour and others reappeared like one tour or a few dates and that was it

Such as? Apart from songs only played on that tour and the odd ones that were only played at very few gigs (Flight of Icarus, Where eagles dare), Children of the Damned was the only oldie not to be featured at every gig of a tour for nearly 20 years. Phantom of the Opera was brought back from the grave in 1999.

Anyway, your reasoning does not make Children of the Damned any less of a surprise in 2016-2017!

Honestly even if Maiden did play an unplayed song, people would probably still complain that it's not obscure enough or something. Probably why they don't do it; hardcore fans will always complain about something and casual fans won't even know what the song is.

so this whole "no US shows in 2018" thing seems like a lock? that sucks. dying to see them again.

This would suck but the silver lining will be it will be much easier for me to travel to see Helloween as the general consensus is they will only hit up a few gigs in the states in 2018.

Honestly even if Maiden did play an unplayed song, people would probably still complain that it's not obscure enough or something. Probably why they don't do it; hardcore fans will always complain about something and casual fans won't even know what the song is.

"Ugh Alexander the Great? Such an obvious choice. I wanted to hear Justice of the Peace." - Hardcore Maiden fan, probably.

Hell, most casual fans don't even know new songs for album tours. Also, Maiden pulling out songs they haven't done in a long time goes back to 1993 with Prowler, Transylvania, and Where Eagles Dare. In fact, you could almost go back to 1989 with Still Life and The Prisoner even though it hadn't been that many albums since those were performed. I just find it interesting that for the Somewhere Back In Time and Maiden England tours, the only REALLY SUPER amazing surprises were Rime, Moonchild, and Seventh Son. Everything else had been done at least once since Bruce and Adrian reunited with the band. Still, it was pretty amazing to see Powerslave and COTD on a new album tour.

"Ugh Alexander the Great? Such an obvious choice. I wanted to hear Justice of the Peace." - Hardcore Maiden fan, probably.
Seriously though, they can't win here. If they play a rare track that isn't Alexander, people will complain it's not Alexander. If they actually played Alexander, the actual performance isn't going to live up to the ridiculous hype. First of all, I'd be willing to bet that Maiden have never even performed it in a room together, even when the album was being made. 30 years later they would probably need to make some compromises and adjustments. A technically proficient group of musicians like Dream Theater could do it, but the way Maiden operates I don't see them pulling it off.

There is a solution for the problem of underplayed live songs: get The Iron Maidens as support and they can play things like 'Alexander the Great' so everyone gets to see it at an Iron Maiden show but Iron Maiden themselves can play the same old songs like 'Fear of the Dark' so everyone goes home happy.

On the hardcore fans, I don't think this is true. There is no basis for that. The problem is that Maiden are afraid of less loud applause (casual fans who are more excited when hits and FOTD are played).

Do not give more reasons for Maiden to justify their conservative setlist policy, please. It is just laziness and fear of less loud applause.

Last edited:
On the hardcore fans, I don't think this is true. There is no basis for that. The problem is that Maiden are afraid for less loud applause (casual fans who are excited when hits and FOTD is played).

Do not give more reasons for Maiden to justify their conservative setlist policy, please. It is just laziness and fear of less loud applause.
I think you are perfectly right. This attitude towards setlists somehow contradicts their so-called "we don't care about what people think" attitude. They care too much, or maybe Rod does. Another thing that looks strange to me (but maybe I'm wrong) is that I've always felt that Harris plays for the first front rows: he mainly cares about hardcore fans, the guys who know the lyrics and sing along, those who come to several concerts a tour. But, by repeatedly picking up the same songs over and over, he gives the others (and I wouldn't call them casual fans as it is a contradiction in itself) what they want. It doesn't annoy me anymore, because that won't change; we've got to be happy with a few surprises on each tour, and, most importantly, they play a huge amount of of new stuff on the album tours, something that most other bands don't do. So, all in all...

On the hardcore fans, I don't think this is true. There is no basis for that. The problem is that Maiden are afraid of less loud applause (casual fans who are more excited when hits and FOTD are played).

I don't think so. They might be fueled by audience reaction, but it's not the only thing. They like playing Wrathchild and FOTD. They enjoy it.
You know why Metallica didn't play Frayed ends until recently? Because James doesn't fancy the track that much.

they play a huge amount of of new stuff on the album tours,

I'd guess that if you created a list of songs Maiden have played "at least 50 times live" it would be a much higher percentage of their entire discography than most bands. Purely because you're getting at least 50% of a new album played every tour, while most bands play the new single and maybe two other songs.

I'd guess that if you created a list of songs Maiden have played "at least 50 times live" it would be a much higher percentage of their entire discography than most bands. Purely because you're getting at least 50% of a new album played every tour, while most bands play the new single and maybe two other songs.
Agreed. And this is why they can afford to tour so often. They couldn't do a best-of tour each year. I guess even the most loyal fans would get bored (and I see on the official forum that some have decided to skip next tour because of that).

The only exception for this is Fear Of The Dark, with 5/12 songs played.

I think you are perfectly right. This attitude towards setlists somehow contradicts their so-called "we don't care about what people think" attitude. They care too much, or maybe Rod does. Another thing that looks strange to me (but maybe I'm wrong) is that I've always felt that Harris plays for the first front rows: he mainly cares about hardcore fans, the guys who know the lyrics and sing along, those who come to several concerts a tour. But, by repeatedly picking up the same songs over and over, he gives the others (and I wouldn't call them casual fans as it is a contradiction in itself) what they want. It doesn't annoy me anymore, because that won't change; we've got to be happy with a few surprises on each tour, and, most importantly, they play a huge amount of of new stuff on the album tours, something that most other bands don't do. So, all in all...
It's great that they play new stuff. I saw acdc a few years ago (before Axl) and only 2 tracks off rock or bust, a decent album was played. However the last 2 history tours were a massive disappointment set list wise. Not doing SIT album justice was criminal and well the maiden England tour was pretty pointless (apart from raking in more cash). Powerslave and COTD being welcome returns on recent tour. Not for me. Both tracks played in recent year's. I think they picked these tracks and the usual staples because they can play them in their sleep or with minimal rehearsal. I'd welcome Hooks In You rather than another live rendition of The Trooper again! I would! If only they put half as much effort into rehearsals as they do for flogging us merchandise, beer, comics, games, books and now hotels! Sort it out Maiden.

Setlist complainers... You'll be lost, and you'll be sorry when they're gone. I'm grateful for every opportunity I've had to see Maiden live. Every time can be the last one now.

Just enjoy The Trooper, The Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden, and Fear of the Dark while you still can. Steve wants to play them, and most fans go nuts for them, so they play them. They're great song no matter how many times you've heard them.

And how many bands of this vintage play so much (really good) new music on their tours? You get plenty of variety and new music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back