Infinite Dreams

How good is Infinite Dreams on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
of all the tracks Steve has done, this one has the most impressive build up of them all. The song continually gets stronger and reaches it's high when Bruce sings "in Heaven or in Hell" complemented by an incredibly rhythmistic (yes, I made this word up) riff that leads to a scream as if Bruce awakened from a bad dream... the song closes brilliantly too. Lyrically, I think it's one of the greatest songs, period. It's my number 3 song of all the Maiden songs for me... Amazing. 10 out of 10

so pissed they replaced it with ATSS on Maiden England in 2012.... :mad:

It always bothers me that I don't know the real reason Maiden rarely plays these kind of songs, Like Infinite Dreams, Loneliness, Stranger In a strange land, De Ja Vu, the Prophecy... ALEXANDER... etc egc. Theres got to be a solid answer out there somewhere, im pretty sure Harris knows how amazing thilese songs are and how many people would like always to hear them live... Can anyone answer on this?

Theres got to be a solid answer out there somewhere
There's got to be just more to it than this... :innocent:

I know Alexander I believe hasn't been played because the put the solo through a bunch of things to get it to sound like it does, and thus it's too hard to play live. Something like that.

I think Maiden has become such a good business that Rod/Steve see no benefit to messing with the live set formula. Hate to have it boil down to that, but that's probably part if it.

the band appear to play songs that are energy induced and get the crowd pumped... Many songs they don't play are absent of those in spite of the fact that they are brilliant (more brilliant) than the songs they choose. I'm still saddened they rehearsed Infinite Dreams and then did ATSS instead and sighted the gun violence going around as the reason they chose the song. I think most of SIT didn't work well live for whatever reason and they have neglected it since... I know Steve has sworn it's the best thing they've ever done and has it next to POM as his favorite album.... there are interviews on youtube that support that comment... Rod hates CSIT live and may have a big influence on the decision of the set list if I may be suspicious

A precursor to the band's future power ballads, such as "Wasting Love" and "Out of the Shadows", this song presented a darker side of Iron Maiden we hadn't seen before. The lyrics sre some of the deepest and most insightful Mister Harris has ever written, and the overall theme also reminds me a bit of "Hallowed Be Thy Name". Musically, the song is brilliant, not too long, not too short, just perfect as it is. 9, because despite being perfect it still doesn't match what I consider to be the two best songs in the album (those will receive a nice 10).

8/10

While a very good song, there are others I would prefer to listen to. Either way, I love the guitars under the verses.

It’s undoubtably a good song, but to be honest I don’t really see why lots of people seem to rate it among Maiden’s best. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me, but as of now I don’t see anything incredible about it. 7/10

I don't know why i don't love this song, it has everything i could ask for, but still never really gets me going. Its gone up and down my list a lot over the years. The first part is excellent every time though.

A few users, @Forostar , @Dr. Eddies Wingman, mention the scream Bruce does at 3:10ish.

Listening to it I cannot deduce if it is a double take - meaning Bruce did it in two takes - or indeed one single scream, which to my ears is very impressive.
One take with the “guttural” scream and one with the “clean” scream and then Birch mixed them, or blended them together with some studio magic.

Can anyone hear this in the song? I think I can hear a small cut but its very short. Cheers.

I cannot hear that to be honest. Perhaps I should use headphones. Interesting theory, desultory, but I think it is possible to have such a transition between scream and clear(er) vocal (in one take).

This is something else though:
a Ripper scream in a Priest song which is "prolongued by production", because you can hear a small portion of repetition (in 4:49; listen to the vibration).

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I am hearing things that aren’t there. I have listened to it for ages without thinking it was a double take but last time I thought there might be a cut. Anyway, impressive scream from Bruce.

A plaintive lead gives way to a gentle, bluesy lick under an excellent verse. The heaviness kicks up a notch for the next verse. Bruce sounds excellent and the guitar work under the verse is great.

Things slow down a bit for the marching, meandering chorus, which goes through a number of key changes. Nice synth accompaniment here. This bleeds into a great melodic interlude with strong marching drums before kicking into a more driving section underneath a great scream from Bruce.

This interlude gains some soaring guitar leads before evolving into a great harmonized section and an excellent vocal bridge. An awesome pair of solos follows, falling back into the great harmonized section from before. This builds back up to the verse before ending on long final vocal and synth notes.

So much to love here. Some people might not be totally sold on the chorus, but I love how it twists its stream of consciousness lyrics through all those key changes. Brilliant stuff. 10/10.

Reactions: Gk1
There’s a chorus?
Well, it doesn't have the feel of a verse, and there's nothing else that follows it, so it's not a pre-chorus -- and the song returns to it later on, so it's not really a bridge either. What would you call it?

Well, it doesn't have the feel of a verse, and there's nothing else that follows it, so it's not a pre-chorus -- and the song returns to it later on, so it's not really a bridge either. What would you call it?
I would call it a verse because the lyrics aren’t the same when it returns. Infinite Dreams, like Hallowed and Empire and Phantom, is just one of those songs without a true chorus and it doesn’t need one to succeed.

I would call it a verse because the lyrics aren’t the same when it returns. Infinite Dreams, like Hallowed and Empire and Phantom, is just one of those songs without a true chorus and it doesn’t need one to succeed.
I would argue that "Hallowed" does have a chorus, but you only hear it once at the very end of the song. Same with "Empire". And I always thought the chorus of "Phantom" was the harmony part after that abortion of a verse.

I agree that "Infinite Dreams" doesn't have a "true chorus". But if you consider how the feel of that part differs from their other verses, and how it ends with long vocal notes that bleed into solos or interludes in much the same way that many of their choruses do, it sure seems to me like it's filling that role in this song.

Hallowed I could get, but not necessarily agree with; the other two I can’t. How does Empire have a chorus?

Back