The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

it's a possibility they drop wrathchild on some US gigs... they've done it before where it comes and goes then comes back... I hope they do it for Florida. They played here last year. I know Ft. Lauderdale is not Tampa but they are quite close to where many attendees are likely the same as I am for both shows... not sure what they have against Orlando. maybe too much of a hassle for traffic... always seem to be Sunrise and Tampa in Florida :(

Hahaha, the last one wasn't that bad. I still think someone else could have done a better job though.
En Vivo was great. The other ones not so much, sound wise. But considering Shirley's mixes of other artist's albums, that was probably the bass-player's fault.

Last edited:
nothing will beat the Rock in Rio version of any song played that show.... Every track was fire and blew the studio versions out the window... every song.
Nah, The Evil from ARLOne annihilates every other live version, RiR included. Now that had punch (most from every song, from every post Di'Anno concert), that was raw. Unmatched bass drumming and more exciting speed. I also prefer FOTD From that era for the same reasons. And I have a special spot for LAD's Trooper.

it's a possibility they drop wrathchild on some US gigs... they've done it before where it comes and goes then comes back... I hope they do it for Florida. They played here last year. I know Ft. Lauderdale is not Tampa but they are quite close to where many attendees are likely the same as I am for both shows... not sure what they have against Orlando. maybe too much of a hassle for traffic... always seem to be Sunrise and Tampa in Florida :(
I thought the same. North America gets shorter gigs.

The Real L/D Ones sound great imo, that was pretty much Steve by himself iirc. And great playing as well, NOTB on Dead One is dangerous.

Saw the BOS tour last year, probably not going to see them this year. Looking forward to their next album, gonna be different, I reckon.

Last edited:
Few fun facts: According to setlist.fm:

-Most played song is of course Iron Maiden, which was played at least 2136 times, today will be the 2137th time.
-Coming second is TNOTB, which will have it's 1815th outing today.
-In the 3rd place (largely because of the ME tour) is HBTN with 1760 performances. Maybe we'll see it this year, maybe we won't.
-4th is Trooper with 1438 performances
-5th is RTTH with 1350 performances, not played on this tour
-6th is 2MTM with 1304 performances, not played on this tour
-7th is Wrathchild with 1180 performances

And that concludes all the songs that were played more then 1000 times.

You missed a couple.
-7th is actually Sanctuary with 1275
-9th is Running Free 1038

@Lego I thought The Mercenary was played at every BNW tour gig. Meaning no rotation. Please say so if you find examples to contradict me, then I need to adapt the Songs that were played live topic. If I'm right, this line-up hardly rotated apart from a while in DOD and Paschendale in 2010. After four or five rotations they stuck with DOD.

Fallen Angel was swapped in a few early shows in place of Mercenary
2000-06-06 Banska
2000-06-07 Budapest
2000-06-09 Izola
2000-06-13 Saint Etienne

Then it was added to the setlist that still included The Mercenary (and OOSP)
2001-01-06 London
2001-01-07 London
2001-01-09 Mexico City
2001-01-13 Buenos Aires

Minor setlist trivia:

Maiden did not just take two songs out of last year's setlist and put in two other songs, in different places (Tears was after Children, Wrathchild before Children + Hallowed was after The Book of Souls, The Great Unknown before The Book of Souls).
They also changed the order of songs that stayed. Slightly:

2016: Death or Glory played after Powerslave
2017: Death or Glory played before The Red and the Black

2016:
  1. If Eternity Should Fail
  2. Speed of Light
  3. Children of the Damned
  4. Tears of a Clown
  5. The Red and the Black
  6. The Trooper
  7. Powerslave
  8. Death or Glory
  9. The Book of Souls
  10. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  11. Fear of the Dark
  12. Iron Maiden
  13. The Number of the Beast
  14. Blood Brothers
  15. Wasted Years

2017:
  2. Speed of Light
  3. Wrathchild
  4. Children of the Damned
  5. Death or Glory
  6. The Red and the Black
  7. The Trooper
  8. Powerslave
  9. The Great Unknown
  10. The Book of Souls
  11. Fear of the Dark
  12. Iron Maiden
  14. Blood Brothers
  15. Wasted Years

To be fair Maiden never really played that many songs live. The problem nowadays is that the still play 1:45 hour sets but with the new songs getting lengthier as albums go by.

So Book of Souls + TRATB as more or less about the same length as 5-7 older songs.

To be fair Maiden never really played that many songs live. The problem nowadays is that the still play 1:45 hour sets but with the new songs getting lengthier as albums go by.

So Book of Souls + TRATB as more or less about the same length as 5-7 older songs.

They did play around 20 in the early nineties. And 2 hours (or more).

Yeah Live at Donington '92 for example is a 20-song set, which is honestly damn long for Maiden. I do feel like this year's set is a bit on the short side with only 15 songs (last year somehow managed to almost be overlong, Hallowed is just that much longer than Wrathchild I guess) coming to around 1:45, but then again shorter sets are probably better for Bruce's voice in the long term.

e: Also, FWIW I just listened to some of A Real Live Dead One, and honestly it sounds pretty bad. The production is muddy and messy and the bass drum is about the only thing I can make out clearly. Also I wouldn't call the performances very special either. RiR still takes the cake for me.

Minor setlist trivia:

Maiden did not just take two songs out of last year's setlist and put in two other songs, in different places (Tears was after Children, Wrathchild before Children + Hallowed was after The Book of Souls, The Great Unknown before The Book of Souls).
They also changed the order of songs that stayed. Slightly:

2016: Death or Glory played after Powerslave
2017: Death or Glory played before The Red and the Black

2016:
  2. Speed of Light
  3. Children of the Damned
  4. Tears of a Clown
  5. The Red and the Black
  6. The Trooper
  7. Powerslave
  8. Death or Glory
  9. The Book of Souls
  10. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  11. Fear of the Dark
  12. Iron Maiden
  14. Blood Brothers
  15. Wasted Years

2017:
  2. Speed of Light
  3. Wrathchild
  4. Children of the Damned
  5. Death or Glory
  6. The Red and the Black
  7. The Trooper
  8. Powerslave
  9. The Great Unknown
  10. The Book of Souls
  11. Fear of the Dark
  12. Iron Maiden
  14. Blood Brothers
  15. Wasted Years

Foro, I can't recall correctly, but did you see them on the 2016 leg? I'm pretty sure you did...

Anyway, how did you feel the flow of the new set compared to the first leg? Even if it had to be Wrathchild, I feel like adding another short, punchy song before the first "ballad" is a great idea for the early energy of the concert (especially since IESF is not a fast one). However, it seems to me that TGU might have worked better right before TRATB (like the album) and that Death or Glory would have still made more sense after Powerslave to raise the energy a bit. Now it's Powerslave-TGU-TBOS-FoTD all in a row and those songs all have a similar mystical, building energy vibe to them.

Yes I saw them twice last year (Arnhem and Oslo).

Good analysis. Perhaps, what you suggest could indeed improve the flow, although I didn't feel the setlist suffered from the current order.

Zooming in a bit more on these setlists...

In 2016 the energy was taken back a little earlier without Wrathchild. Most songs with calm beginnings are preceded and followed by songs that start directer. Apart from 9, 10 and 11. Three songs with calm intros in a row. Although FOTD starts intenser with distorted pattern, it continues soon with the calm stuff. Powerslave starts with the monster part but it is short and continues quickly with the direct riff. So in this set we have three calm starters in a row but also three harder starters in a row: Trooper, Powerslave and DorGlory.

In 2017:
Also (imo) three calm starters in row: Again 9, 10 and 11. Two harder starters in a row: Speed of Light and Wrathchild.

Looking at these aspects 2016 has more variation in the first six songs. And less variation in the 6-11 song segment.

When I compare these lists to see what I would enjoy more, I'd say: depends on the year. In 2016 I prefer the 2016 one, in 2017 the 2017 one because it contains different songs, one of which was never played before. If there were only one setlist for both 2016 AND 2017 I would go for the 2016 because I like Tears of the Clown more than TGU (cooler solos!). That said, by now, I like TGU more than when it came out. A fine growing (and glowing) gem.

Back