The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Few fun facts: According to setlist.fm:

-Most played song is of course Iron Maiden, which was played at least 2136 times, today will be the 2137th time.
-Coming second is TNOTB, which will have it's 1815th outing today.
-In the 3rd place (largely because of the ME tour) is HBTN with 1760 performances. Maybe we'll see it this year, maybe we won't.
-4th is Trooper with 1438 performances
-5th is RTTH with 1350 performances, not played on this tour
-6th is 2MTM with 1304 performances, not played on this tour
-7th is Wrathchild with 1180 performances

And that concludes all the songs that were played more then 1000 times.

Least played
-Out Of The Silent Planet, 4 times
-The Great Unknown, 1 and counting
-The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, 1 time

I can't find any recordings of The Mercenary from these shows.

they played Children of the damned at a few shows and Run to the Hills was not added until the last few shows.... As others have stated, Out of the Silent Planet was played at a few gigs too on top of The Fallen Angel... They worked nearly every song on that album which is amazing for a 10 track album... Playing 8 of the songs makes you believe they felt strong about that album... I know I did The Mercenary may have been switched a few times but was part of the main set

Few fun facts: According to setlist.fm:

-Most played song is of course Iron Maiden, which was played at least 2136 times, today will be the 2137th time.
-Coming second is TNOTB, which will have it's 1815th outing today.
-In the 3rd place (largely because of the ME tour) is HBTN with 1760 performances. Maybe we'll see it this year, maybe we won't.
-4th is Trooper with 1438 performances
-5th is RTTH with 1350 performances, not played on this tour
-6th is 2MTM with 1304 performances, not played on this tour
-7th is Wrathchild with 1180 performances

And that concludes all the songs that were played more then 1000 times.

Least played
-Out Of The Silent Planet, 4 times
-The Great Unknown, 1 and counting
-The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, 1 time

forgot to add Losfer words.... it was played at select shows during 1984

Sea of Madness was dropped after the 2nd USA show - played 65 times
Still Life has never been played in the USA, not in 1983 or in 1988

Guys really now....this is the set. It is most likely that they won't change anything. It is a set of 15 songs. They are too few for a headline band. They want to keep on playing the same songs. They would only drop somerhing if they are not able to perform it they way they feel they should.That's about it.

Guys really now....this is the set. It is most likely that they won't change anything. It is a set of 15 songs. They are too few for a headline band. They want to keep on playing the same songs. They would only drop somerhing if they are not able to perform it they way they feel they should.That's about it.

I believe this is probably true. We've been seeing a trend with recent Maiden that their shows are packages - i.e. once they land on a setlist (and lights, backdrops, and pyro for that setlist), it's not going to change. That's the "show."

I believe this is probably true. We've been seeing a trend with recent Maiden that their shows are packages - i.e. once they land on a setlist (and lights, backdrops, and pyro for that setlist), it's not going to change. That's the "show."
BTATS and Paschendale were both dropped in 2010, the Talisman was rearranged in 2011, and Wrathchild was dropped on 2014- granted these are all subtractive changes (or simply a reordering) but it's not as though things NEVER change once a tour starts.

Though I do agree with your thoughts in general. They are fairly committed to a set running order due to the lighting/stage show.

And this is why I respect Metallica so much. They still put 2 hour plus sets. They mix up the set. They had all these people's choice concerts. You still have to listen ti the same old songs but they are wrapped in a very energetic and diverse set.

Maiden did the nostalgia tours. Those sets were an absolute joy. However they insist playing all these long and boring songs nowadays. It is beyond me how can Steve think that his new epics even worth being 10 plus minutes long...anyway. At least I respect that they want to play their new songs liveIf you think about it...a great chunk of their material is already presented live throughout the years. It is just that the material rotation takes too damn long.

BTATS and Paschendale were both dropped in 2010, the Talisman was rearranged in 2011, and Wrathchild was dropped on 2014- granted these are all subtractive changes (or simply a reordering) but it's not as though things NEVER change once a tour starts.

Though I do agree with your thoughts in general. They are fairly committed to a set running order due to the lighting/stage show.

Right, dropping is a different story. I don't think we'll see things get added into the set once the tour gets going. However, they've only had one gig so far so everything is still speculation.

And this is why I respect Metallica so much. They still put 2 hour plus sets. They mix up the set.
They also make mistakes all the time. Would rather have a perfectly practiced shorter set than a longer filled with mistakes and songs that an older band can't play live anymore.

for those that haven't read it, Steve stated in an interview that he lets Bruce pick the songs for this tour after his cancer and vocal issues... Maybe Hallowed was dropped on Bruce's own decision. It was his to bring it back... Maybe he felt it didn't work or couldn't sustain the whole tour. Wrathchild had to be a Steve thing though. It's easy on Bruce's voice though.... If Bruce picks the songs, there goes any chance of SIT material..... :mad:

http://themusic.com.au/interviews/all/2016/05/04/iron-maiden-steve-harris-shane-pinnegar/

Reactions: Gk1
There are a few shows this tour that are back to back in the same arena. It'll be interesting to see if they deviate from the set at all or keep it static. I'd expect the opening night set to continue through the tour but you never know.

And agreed on Metallica - their flexible setlists is basically one of the few draws to seeing them anymore.

They also make mistakes all the time. Would rather have a perfectly practiced shorter set than a longer filled with mistakes and songs that an older band can't play live anymore.

Well to be honest with you...I don't think it is that bad....you might have watched more show that me:). However I think the majority of the Maiden songs are quite a bit easier...ok apart from the voice part.

for those that haven't read it, Steve stated in an interview that he lets Bruce pick the songs for this tour after his cancer and vocal issues... Maybe Hallowed was dropped on Bruce's own decision. It was his to bring it back... Maybe he felt it didn't work or couldn't sustain the whole tour. Wrathchild had to be a Steve thing though. It's easy on Bruce's voice though.... If Bruce picks the songs, there goes any chance of SIT material..... :mad:

http://themusic.com.au/interviews/all/2016/05/04/iron-maiden-steve-harris-shane-pinnegar/

Wrathchild is not a Steve thing. It's a band thing. They play it at soundchecks all the time even if it isn't in the set (see India 2008).

Well to be honest with you...I don't think it is that bad....you might have watched more show that me:). However I think the majority of the Maiden songs are quite a bit easier...ok apart from the voice part.
And drumming department. And guitar department. And bass, well maybe not bass (Cliff Burton was god). Also Kirk Wahmett is one of the most boring soloists ever. I am just waiting for the day when he puts EMG's in the Greeny Les Paul. If that happens, I'll buy an aeroplane ticket to SF and kill him.

Back