The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

So let me see: they have Wrathchild, which bores me to tears; Great Unknown, which I can't stand, Powerslave, which I find the most overrated song in Maiden's catalogue; NOTB, which I'm so tired of; and they dropped Hallowed. Yay, can't wait.

Honestly, when I saw the show twice last year, Hallowed felt a little awkward between TBOS and FOTD. It will be a more natural flow. I'm so excited to get to see TGU live. July 3rd can't come soon enough!

Just look at everyone talkin about the next dates and they wishing for that day, makes me want to see the tour again, even with the same songs

So the dust may have settled a wee bit and we all have our opinions but @Ariana did you just call Powerdave overrated? That, surely, is the most controversial speak of the tour/decade?
Like, Dave plays sublimely throughout that song, plus it is pure class. So, really, whats not to like?? I may agree that Powerslave is a tad out of sync in the set but so is Children. Both top tunes for my money. We are just so used to Maiden sets providing very few/no surprises. Personally I think that having 6 new songs and Powerdaverave and Children of the Dave in the same set in 2017 is what we in my country call Pure Taste.
Also, off the chart but, after watching a few vids I have a little less confidence in a new Maiden album. I think Bruce is beat. I know its only the first night but I think he is treading water at this stage. When he is good he is great but he is often pish. Still, the band can do it so bring Blaze back, at least he knows how to stay in his range..

So let me see: they have Wrathchild, which bores me to tears; Great Unknown, which I can't stand, Powerslave, which I find the most overrated song in Maiden's catalogue; NOTB, which I'm so tired of; and they dropped Hallowed. Yay, can't wait.
Allow me to say something positive.
I hope it won't be that bad. Even a (usually) disliked song can be special to see live for the first time. I could be wrong but perhaps you'll have that feeling nine times (about two third of the set)?

Last edited:
It is bit sad seeing Bruce struggle during TGU. Great harmony and solo section though.

Also, off the chart but, after watching a few vids I have a little less confidence in a new Maiden album. I think Bruce is beat. I know its only the first night but I think he is treading water at this stage. When he is good he is great but he is often pish. Still, the band can do it so bring Blaze back, at least he knows how to stay in his range..
Re: Blaze. That depends on the songs. Not this setlist. Bruce was very fit but indeed did not sing tremendously good in all songs. Maybe he needs to warm up and it'll go better a few shows later. I am very confident about a new album.

Last edited:
It is bit sad seeing Bruce struggle during TGU. Great harmony and solo section though.
It is a very difficult song to sing. It's not as if it sounds very different on the album. I should rewatch the vid, maybe I have missed something. Perhaps Maiden selected this one because other new options were more difficult for the other guys. The Man of Sorrows certainly is, I'd say.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go into any details as to why I find Powerslave nothing more than an average song. Those who have been following Maiden survivors and the best solo survivor already know this. :D It simply does nothing for me, regardless of how sublime Dave's playing might be.

As for the setlist, I think I'm mostly looking forward to seeing The Red and The Black.

It is a very difficult song to sing. It's not as if it sound very different on the album. I should rewatch the vid, maybe I have missed something. Perhaps Maiden selected this one because other new options were more difficult for the other guys. The Man of Sorrows certainly is, I'd say.

Foro I gree on the diffuculty factor of the song. However ever since they dropped Paschendale from their set...every slight hint that they can't play their own songs just makes me a bit sad.

I'm not going to go into any details as to why I find Powerslave nothing more than an average song. Those who have been following Maiden survivors and the best solo survivor already know this. :D It simply does nothing for me, regardless of how sublime Dave's playing might be.

As for the setlist, I think I'm mostly looking forward to seeing The Red and The Black.
Was I right about the number nine? Including Powerslave and COTD?

To me, Bruce struggles at some point in every song and has done for a long time. I don't know anything about proper technical singing but I know what I hear and what I hear is a man singing from his throat/chest rather than his gut. And this isn't new, he has strained for years but what annoys me is that when he sings in his mid or low range he is great but it seems to me that he chooses to strain to a higher level/pitch. Take TRATB for example. I have yet to hear him perform the verses of that song well. He sounds like a man in pain. Like a man that cant breathe.
When he is good, he is the best but I reckon he is the weak link and if, IF, Hallowed got dropped cos he couldn't sing it (speculation) then this surely is the beginning of the end. If he is so fucked, as I judge him to be, then there is little chance that he can do another world tour. Maybe 6 more Bruce solo albums but a full Maiden album/tour, no chance.
To be fair, I thought this after Maiden England and was proved totally wrong.

Reactions: Gk1
Other bands either use a different tuning live. It would not harm if Maiden did that too. It would have benefited Blaze back then too.

I seem to recall Bruce sounding a lot worse in the first few shows of last year's tour relative to later on, especially on TBOS. It takes a few shows to get warmed up.

I seem to recall Bruce sounding a lot worse in the first few shows of last year's tour relative to later on, especially on TBOS. It takes a few shows to get warmed up.
Indeed. This wasn't that bad as some I heard.
Hallowed got dropped cos he couldn't sing it (speculation) then this surely is the beginning of the end. If he is so fucked, as I judge him to be, then there is little chance that he can do another world tour. Maybe 6 more Bruce solo albums but a full Maiden album/tour, no chance.
These comments sound more exaggerating than not having love for Powerslave. Not sure what you call a "world" tour. Time will tell.

Hallowed was dropped, but (or because) there are other demanding songs. Difficult TBOS songs, such as The Great Unknown and The Red and the Black, have more priority in this tour. Perhaps three throatkillers in one gig are indeed too many. If so: a sane decision.

What's also possible is that they couldn't easily come up with a 2nd change in the setlist. In the end they thought only TGU would do for a new one, and then they came up with Wrathchild as choice for an old one. Picking Hallowed to replace is controversial but this pick makes the set shorter. Maiden are going for quality (performance wise) these days, not quantity.

Last edited:
Back