Bruce Springsteen

Navigators Ghost

Ancient Mariner
Hey guys

Couldn't see a thread on The Boss so thought I'd start one being 'obsessed' with both him and Maiden as my girlfriend says!

What's everyone's favourite song and why?

Not sure there is much love for him on here, but I've got a ton of respect for him.
Total top of my head: The River, Atlantic City, the Rising.
What a songwriter.

Apart from yours truly, IIRC @Black Bart was a fan.

My favourite album of his would be The Rising - I've even had this one as my avatar here several times.
However, as a stand-alone song I probably like The River the most, because it has this really haunting atmosphere, it's filled with passion and it's catchy as cuss (even Bon Jovi had to borrow that melody :D )

Oh, and let's not miss the pic of The Boss in a drag :ninja:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah the river is haunting, but for me point blank takes it for that atmosphere.

How do I not know about this picture?! haha

'Cause it's not him - that's Vincent Cassel in Elizabeth (1998). :D But it was a "double take" moment.

Apart from yours truly, IIRC @Black Bart was a fan.

My favourite album of his would be The Rising - I've even had this one as my avatar here several times.
However, as a stand-alone song I probably like The River the most, because it has this really haunting atmosphere, it's filled with passion and it's catchy as cuss (even Bon Jovi had to borrow that melody :D )

Oh, and let's not miss the pic of The Boss in a drag :ninja:

maxresdefault.jpg
At first, I thought it was a screenshot of Blackadder (Queenie in season 2...except Miranda Richardson is hot)! :D

I love Bruce, of course, and "The River" is one of my favorite songs. In terms of atmosphere, I also crave "The Ghost of Tom Joad". ;)
I was lucky enough to see him live once, in 2009 at the French "Vieilles Charrues" summer festival.
And the book is a must-read. :)

Last edited:
Tom Joad with Tom Morrello kicks ass. I saw him live at Wembley on the River anniversary tour and not ashamed to say I cried my eyes out during point blank... was going through an awful break up.

Ahh good choices. The River and Atlantic City are way up there for me.

Have you read his book?

It was actually the most recent book I read. Really enjoyed it, particularly the first half.
Like so many artists I respect, singularly devoted and uncompromising.

Also helped me realize, even though I haven't practiced since I was a kid, how shaped I am by the mythmaking of Catholicism.
Frodo's journey in LOT, the protagonist in The Rising - those very Catholic stories touch me to the core as their Catholic upbringing clearly influenced Tolkien and Springsteen.

The lyrics of the Rising are among the best ever composed.

Last edited:
I feel the same - brought up in part by my Irish grandparents who were devout Catholics has made me become an adult with a sense of 'Catholic guilt' for want me f a better term and as I'm nearing the end of my 20's I'm realising that my ethics and values although not religious are remarkably Catholic in nature

Thats strong chat and I well believe it. I don't know him inside out but Im a fan of Darkness, The River and Tom Joad albums. And Because The Night is cracker. The vid of The River where the steam is rising off him is pure class

Back