At peace with the world for a few minutes...

CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Meme Only Account
A week or so ago Perun posted a song by Rainbow called The Temple Of The King in the 100K thread, introducing it by saying "for years, this song has made me be at peace with the world for a few minutes". He went on to say:
There's just something fundamentally positive about how the song feels.
(http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads...eplies-to-this-post.193/page-3132#post-434349)

I listened to the track & didn't give it much more thought, moving on to browsing other posts. Then, the other day, I had a really stressful "why am I doing this fucking job" kind of day at work. When I'd finished work, I just sat in my car (before setting off to drive home), put on the new Buckethead album (I'd only just bought) & closed my eyes for a few moments. The track that happened to come on (that I'd never listened to before) brought to mind what Perun had said; & I understood.

This track is undoubtedly more frivolous & a bit more upbeat. But, essentially, it served the same purpose for me; the track is (almost comically, with that overly-funky bassline tone that comes in) positive & I felt at peace with the world for a few minutes. It brought a smile to my face. This is what I put on:

Do you have a song that evokes these kind of feelings? A "go to" track perhaps, or maybe one (like me) you just recently discovered? You could share it here...

Last edited:
*rubs eyes* Cried?! Did you just open a topic? Do it more often!

This is a very good one, although not so easy to contribute yet. Can't mention a song at the moment and I'll give it a thought. I do not have a specific track I would return to, knowing that it could ease my mind. I actually rarely let my mood decide what music to play. My drive to select music is quite autonomous from my feelings, although I may be wrong and it could go subconsciously.* I am not implying that you or Perun mentioned these as "songs to return to," but I can imagine that some people would do that, in relation to this topic.

I enjoyed this song! New to me but nice at once. It has this "so 'kin what, I'll keep going" mentality over it.

*Although as of late I found out that when I am nervous, insecure or even scared, I rarely want to play jazz or calm, moody music. Then harder stuff like metal or music with strong melody is more suitable instead.

Last edited:
I don't know if its cheesy or what, but McFerrin's song Don't Worry Be Happy does exactly what it says for me. Always puts a smile on my face, such a warm song, definitely at peace when I'm listening to that :)

These two right here came to mind instantly. Such beautiful instrumentals that just make me think things will be ok for a moment and bring a smile to me face when I need it most. It's funny that these are Black Sabbath songs because when you think of Sabbath, you wouldn't think this. Tony Iommi did a fantastic job with these.

I do have other songs that do this for me but these were the ones I thought of first.

Last edited:
Cool topic. This is the first one that popped for me.
I just get lost in the "chorus."

Interesting how many are instrumentals.

Interesting how many are instrumentals.
The Buckethead one originally had words when he used to perform it back in the early nineties with Deli Creeps. But when it made it onto his own Giant Robot album in 1994 (I assume because he wrote it originally) it was, as with almost all Buckethead material, an instrumental.

Nice choices guys.

This is an amazing topic! Oddly, I don't have much to add because the only song that comes to mind is the same as Perun's: Temple of the King. It's just a beautiful, majestic song.

I'll try to come up with more later!

Quite a few Levellers tunes have a nice effect on me but the faster, rowdier version of this (which I couldnt find) gives me a buzz every time.

What immediately came to my mind was Neal Morse's ?, which totally works for me in the way you lot describe above. But it's a "song" over a whole album, 1-hour long, in twelve tracks (and a thoughtful repetition, so it's more like Thick as a Brick than Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence) - since I know it by heart, I often play just some of the single tracks, but it's still cheating...

Out of the shorter tracks, these are probably that for me during the daytime/evening

That part that starts after 6:50 here:

And during the night

These came immediately into mind. Yup, that's two songs off one of Satch's least popular albums :D Didn't want to hijack the thread, sorry. ;)

Here's a couple that I heard recently and completely forgot about, but as soon as I heard them I was transfixed and taken to a peaceful place. It's not hard to get me into a simple stupor through Irish (or Scottish in one of these) folk songs, but these two are simply astounding, magical tunes. There's a sadness about them, but it's still so peaceful to me.

I found this guy about 8 years ago. I was experimenting with psychedelic music and so searched 'psychedelic groove' on Limewire. This was the first thing that came up. It totally takes me away.
It also led me to listen to other Malian outfits, some great bands from there.

Back