Raising Hell vs. Live After Death

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
OK, so we had a serious discussion regarding this topic. Natalie recorded the subsequent argument, and after I recovered the video, I uploaded it for general discussion.

I think it's really obvious that Raising Hell is the better video, but these guys think I'm wrong. Natalie thought it was so funny, hence why I called her a cunt (sorry for getting caught up in the heat of the moment). What do you guys think?

I think Bruce's vocal performance is better on RH than LAD, but the audio quality on LAD is better, but the stage production on LAD is just so amazing! Especially for 1985. So, I gotta go with LAD on this.

Very disappointing video: I searched and searched for a bong on the coffee table, but found none. Fucking kids today. :D

Hope that everyone had a great time in Boston, and that Loosey enjoyed his first Maiden show.

Raising Hell vs Live After Death? there really is no comparison. On Raising Hell the band sounds tired and bored...LAD is so full of energy, and the stage production is beyond belief.

I see. I'm not a big fan of Raising Hell either. Out of these two, I'd definitely go for Live After Death.

Not even close, with Raising Hell we as an audience hated Bruce because he was not putting any effort in his performances because he was leaving, so alot of Fans would rather forget that tour, with Live After Death it was the album of choice when you wanted a quick blast of Maiden throught out the 1980's and when we found the video we thought it was amazing, just the phrase 'Scream For Me Long Beach' is worth more than the whole of that Raising Hell Shite :)

I think Raising Hell is less terrible than Live After Death. Bruce sounds hella better at least.

Bruce's vocals on Live After Death are just embarrassing.

Argument is totally scripted, you can tell from the last few words ;D
No, actually, it was just what you say if you're a true Maidenfan and you see some cunt's recording this. It was just the thing to say!

Raising Hell is better because it was the end of an era. It was this seriously interesting production that I think showcases Iron Maiden in a way that would never again be developed on either film or digitally. Straight-up better in every possible way. If you think LAD is better, you're actually wrong. Factually.

If the Raising Hell production showcased the end of an era, Live After Death can be said to have documented the peak of another one. In that aspect they are both important documents of Maiden history. I think, for sure, Raising Hell is the most unique and interesting one for a couple of reasons, one being the decision to incorporate a Magic show of course, but also the fact that you get to experience Maiden in a much more intimate setting - it adds a lot to the atmosphere of a show. Also, I believe it was broadcasted absolutely live on TV? However, while Raising Hell might be the most interesting and unique concert? Live After Death is better, in my opinion, at delivering the whole "Live experience" of Iron Maiden. A gigantic stage-show, a energized band that plays flawless, the sense of history being made in the air over the enthusiastic crowd etc, it is just more awesome! In lack of a better word :lol:

So as such, it probably really comes down to what you're looking for in a concert video..

No, actually, it was just what you say if you're a true Maidenfan and you see some cunt's recording this. It was just the thing to say!
The gig must've melted your brain, the key was the last 2 characters of my post ";D" ;) If you had truly sat and written out a script for it I would now see you in a rather sad light :p (planned as a spoof obviously. scripted as in everyone had lines to read... that's just silly ;))

Raising Hell is better because it was the end of an era. It was this seriously interesting production that I think showcases Iron Maiden in a way that would never again be developed on either film or digitally. Straight-up better in every possible way. If you think LAD is better, you're actually wrong. Factually.

I've not seen the LAD video but I have seen Raising Hell, the sound quality is better on RH than the LAD album at least, and I agree that Maiden will never again be seen in the same way that they were during RH... but I guess it depends on what they are meaning by "Better". From what I recall RH had some decent tracks on it which simply weren't available during LAD, can't say I was a huge fan of Drake though so that skews it. For many people by 'better' they will just mean it's a better live album/video to sit down to, you're getting the music and in most cases that's what they want.

SixesAlltheway's last line is a very accurate one: it depends what you're looking for. I like the music more than anything - for example the split screening in En Vivo started to bug me by the middle of the gig, although I think a large part of that is the solid black line to split it rather than them being say merged/faded.

I can truly say, that I will regret not being able to go to that for the rest of my life. :(

Ha ha ha ha! :D The whole thing sounded very spontaneous but when I heard "You're completely out of order" and "there's a difference between" (great Bruce imitation, Nat!) it sounded more like a well prepared idea (before the recording started).

Whatever... This was so amusing! :notworthy: "Magic show!" "What the fuck are you talking about." "Poxy solo" ! :)

Like Wasted, wish I was there.... 2013, $%^$%^$*d&mn&*&!

Even though I do like both of them overall I think Live after Death is the better of the two because even though I think Bruce's vocals do sort of fall short it does seems to deliver the whole Maiden "live experience" better than Raising Hell. Raising Hell I thought would have been better as just a straight up concert without all the cheesy horror special effects.

I think live at Donington is far better than Rising Hell because of the live experience. And I also think those magic horror tricks were too cheesy

Very disappointing video: I searched and searched for a bong on the coffee table, but found none. Fucking kids today. :D

Hope that everyone had a great time in Boston, and that Loosey enjoyed his first Maiden show.

Some items on the coffee table were hidden in the forest of empty beer bottles. :innocent:

We did have a great time. LC was on my left, flabbergasted at the "spectacle". Natalie on my right, jumping up and down through the whole show. Per and Nush were off drunk somewhere, trying to sneak into closer seats. They had a blast too. :D

Back