ZP Theart (Ex DragonForce Vocalist)

That's the problem, so much they do in studio they can't do live, and the way I see it, it isn't worth it if you can't do it live.

Just because they say it's a "live" album, doesn't have to mean it was really recorded "live" ;)

Night Prowler said:
Just because they say it's a "live" album, doesn't have to mean it was record "live" ;)
Yup.

OK, sure that one didn't sound as bad, but it also wasn't nearly as fast, or didn't use many high notes in the vocals. As opposed to TTFAF.

Seventh Son said:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means :p
618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

umm yeah, are you assuming "Twilight Dementia" is?

Mosh said:
OK, sure that one didn't sound as bad, but it also wasn't nearly as fast, or didn't use many high notes in the vocals. As opposed to TTFAF.
618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

His notes are still high, listen to the whole album to get an idea of what he's capable of, and also keep in mind, that it is the end of the tour, and he does smoke and drink, yet he's still able to sing some songs that were recorded 7 years ago.

To be honest, he's voice stays more powerful than others. Now I'm not going to say anything bad about Bruce Dickinson's voice, but you can't deny that it did start to deteriorate quite quickly and yes I know that Maiden did tour over and over and over, it's a fucking shame his voice went the way it did, but even though the quality did fall, he's voice still remains the best :)

And the Ultra Beat Down world tour was quite big, so there is room for a little reasoning in the quality of his voice.

Seventh Son said:
umm yeah, are you assuming "Twilight Dementia" is?
You never know for sure.

His notes are still high, listen to the whole album to get an idea of what he's capable of, and also keep in mind, that it is the end of the tour, and he does smoke and drink, yet he's still able to sing some songs that were recorded 7 years ago.
Smoking is one of the worst things you can do as a singer. Not a good excuse.

To be honest, he's voice stays more powerful than others. Now I'm not going to say anything bad about Bruce Dickinson's voice, but you can't deny that it did start to deteriorate quite quickly and yes I know that Maiden did tour over and over and over, it's a fucking shame his voice went the way it did, but even though the quality did fall, he's voice still remains the best :)
Yes his voice had a decline, but once he got it together, he sounded better than ever. I have yet to find footage of this ZP guy ever sounding good live.

First one was actually pretty good. Other two, not so much.

When they supported maiden in Belfast i think they were great or at least as good a support as Airbourne.
The speed was there and the songs still sounded right, i do prefer the new guy though to Theart. He has a really high voice and suits their... erm... style  :lol:    Thearts ok i suppose but i was never over enthusiastic about him and soon after hearing early dragonforce i listened to hammerfall and found even them better across the board making the same sort of music. Therefor he cant be all that good  :ninja:

Yeah, honestly, I think they have all the right material to make a really great band. If they focused a little more on the feel of their music, not just the speed, they could be much much better than they already are.

ZP Theart is a decent vocalist but from his time in Dragonforce I always felt that he never used his voice properly or didn't work at fulfilling his potential. The infamous Graspop clip is evidence of this. The guy can sing pretty well but he always let himself down live, and if one takes into account the fact that every Dragonforce song sounds the same then it suggests to me that he was being misused. Maybe the other guys in the band didn't think his vocals were good enough for them to progress but I guess we may never know as "musical differences" is often a cover for something else. I know that in December 2009 there was a bit of tension between him and Sam Totman on show during a gig because Sam was drunk as fuck, so perhaps intra-band tension led to his departure.

As good a vocalist as he could be if he used his voice properly he'll never be up there amongst the great Metal singers for me. Bruce Dickinson just sound better; Ronnie James Dio's voice was so much more powerful; I'm not a big fan of Rob Halford's voice but his range is superior; Matt Barlow can put amazing feeling into his vocals and his range is great; Ripper Owens also has great range and can do incredible things with his voice; Michael Kiske, Russell Allen, Hansi Kursch etc. are all technically better and sound better than ZP Theart. I'll wait to hear what the guy can produce in the future, but at the moment I'm not much of a fan.

Now you can't tell me that this isn't pushing him to his limit, he's having to sing cheesy lyrics, at high speeds with all sorts of stupid words mingled in, all the while singing them with decent power, emotion and range.

Yeah, I'll admit that he probably isn't the most dedicated musician, or the greatest but he has one hell of a voice if you ask me, to be honest, from what I've seen from the new guy, Mark Hudson, I'm not impressed, he's got a whiny, thin voice like Michael Kiske and has no where near the emotion, but I'm going to see them in March 2012, so I guess I'll judge then :)

Also, I don't think that some of the vocalists you've mentioned are much better, or even better at all, but hey at the end of the day, it's always going to come down to personal preference. Although I am happy that some of you think he is decent :)

I'm not even a fan of Kiske and I disagree with that.

If you want to hear something emotionless, try listening to Nickelback. The singer is absolutely HORRIBLE.

:jedi:

Back