Your Top 10 least favorite Iron Maiden songs

permanenteddie

Educated Fool
Yeah, another top (bored at work...need a break!)

Are we going to have some controversial choices?...maybe...maybe not? :innocent::D

Here are mine:
Sanctuary
Iron Maiden
Drifter
Public Enema Number One
Hooks in You
From Here to Eternity
Fear is the Key
Weekend Warrior
Gates of Tomorrow
New Frontier

I can’t think of anything more generic than stuff like Speed Of Light. More obvious is the Blaze material, take your pick.

From the classic era it’s got to be Quest For Fire.

Most songs from No Prayer is garbage. I actually enjoy Fear Of The Dark.

But that’s not much I dislike from the 80s, I even like Gangland & Invaders which many hate.

With non-album tracks:
  1. More Tea Vicar
  2. Pass The Jam
  3. Space Truckin'
  4. Purgatory
  5. I'm A Mover
  6. Remember Tomorrow
  7. Drifter
  8. Communication Breakdown
  9. Innocent Exile
  10. My Generation
Without non-album tracks:
  1. Purgatory
  2. Remember Tomorrow
  3. Drifter
  4. Innocent Exile
  5. Prodigal Son
  6. Another Life
  7. Isle of Avalon
  8. Coming Home
  9. Sanctuary
  10. Charlotte the Harlot
With non-album tracks originally by Maiden:
  1. More Tea Vicar
  2. Pass The Jam
  3. Purgatory
  4. Remember Tomorrow
  5. Drifter
  6. Innocent Exile
  7. Prodigal Son
  8. Invasion
  9. Another Life
  10. Bayswater Ain't A Bad Place To Be
With only non-album tracks:
  1. More Tea Vicar
  2. Pass the Jam
  3. Space Truckin'
  4. I'm a Mover
  5. Communication Breakdown
  6. My Generation
  7. Roll Over Vic Vella
  8. Invasion
  9. Space Station #5
  10. Nodding Donkey Blues

I don't get the hate for Invaders it's just what you want to open an album imo

I pretty much agree, but the thing you pointed out is kinda the problem too; Invaders is a good album opener and definitely not a bad song, but if you took it out of it's place as an album opener, it's not that great of a song. Sure, there's interesting stuff going on and all, but it's not that interesting, given how great songs they managed to do at that time.

So yeah, while I get that many love that one, I also get why many don't. I've never been a big fan of it, it's pretty much like Wildest Dreams: does what it needs to do and while I don't mind listening to it, it's not something I'd absolutely want to go back to.

Not quite Top 10 here, but here are some:

(Satellite 15...) The Final Frontier
Not a bad song and when the band did hit the right level of intensity, they managed to make it sound pretty great live. That being said, it's overall very underwhelming song, with some interesting themes and general idea behind it, but it's horribly underwhelming and somewhat uninteresting, given how much hype was built around it and the album back then... You know, something titled THE FINAL FRONTIER should be something more elaborate. It would not have required miracles to seriously improve this one and that's kinda the saddest thing here: TFF is nowhere near BAD ALBUM nor does it have any really BAD songs on it. It just fails to live up to what it could be and whether it is because the band pretty much just arrived to the studio, played the stuff and left, or just production, it sounds pretty lazy. The title track is therefore quite a good example of the main problem behind the whole album. Not bad, definitely interesting and all, but just not quite there. The Book of Souls wasn't a perfect album, but the level of intensity alone is much higher than it was here.

The Apparition
Uhm. I get it, there's a certain level of rock'n roll in this one and all, but it's just horribly medicore song you really don't want to listen to again. It kinda sounds like something that could have fitted for Bruce's Tattooed Millionaire, but no... Have they focused more on the general execution of many good ideas around that time, Fear of the Dark would have been pretty great album. Weekend Warrior isn't exactly the most beloved song around, but at least it has little bit of... something going on. The chorus isn't too bad either. The Apparition is just something that sounds... very, very uninteresting and doesn't have even that low level of something that even Weekend Warrior had.

Sanctuary and Drifter
These songs do rock, no doubt. It's not their fault that they were played instead of some better stuff back in the day. I just find them very... anticlimatic. Definitely fun, but pretty uninteresting songs that I don't really like to listen, either studio or live versions. As I said, it doesn't make the song bad if it's played much or even too much, but it IS kinda annoying that instead of so many other songs you decide to close the set with Sanctuary. Or Drifter. Yeah, I doubt these will ever be played again, but I'm as disappointed as one can be if Sanctuary manages to fit itself into any future Maiden setlist. Wouldn't be that big deal if they still did around 20 song setlist like in the 90's, but at this point, it would be pretty much waste of space. I respect different opinions and Sanctuary is a fun live song, I get it, I just don't find it that effective or interesting anymore if I ever have.

I can’t think of anything more generic than stuff like Speed Of Light.

Yeah... I wonder why IM chose to make a video for "Speed" when there were other tracks off that album that were so much better. Ok, I get that "Empire" & "Book of Souls" might've been kinda long length-wise, but there was intense interest in other songs, like "Tears" 'cause of the subject matter.

Is it possible that Maiden concluded that "Speed" was the best song / promotion for TBOS? Or were there other considerations?

I just don't get the strategy...

Speed of Light is the most classic sounding song on it and the most obvious rocker track. The others have a little more to them. I think Speed works well as a single myself.

Speed of Light is the most classic sounding song on it and the most obvious rocker track. The others have a little more to them. I think Speed works well as a single myself.
Well, I'll gladly concede that there are elements of "Speed" that are classic sounding, but it's certainly not a classic song from top to bottom -- and (IMO) wasn't the best way to showcase, promote or build interest in TBOS double-album. I'm perplexed that they led with it.

At its best, TBOS is innovative, daring, bold & creative... and "Speed" (to me) simply isn't. There's a disconnect. A misalignment...

Not a horrible song, mind you. Just on the "meh" side. I think Maiden works best when they combine great artistry with great storytelling, and both are lacking in "Speed" (particularly in comparison to some of the other songs on the album).

In all candor, I kinda get the vibe that it was more about video game / app promotion than album promotion...

I don't know, remember when they released the little Speed of Light teaser? That 20 second clip got played over and over and over again.

but it's certainly not a classic song from top to bottom
Oh yeah, I agree with that. But it is a good draw for the more "metal" fans out there who want something that rocks, and Speed of Light delivers. The others (except maybe Death or Glory) feel more like they need to be experienced on the album.

Just look at Judas Priest's new album Firepower. It's received a lot of acclaim since its release, and people have praised it for being the most metal album of recent time? Yeah, the production is superb but if that's all it's got going for it, why is it so incredible? To me it feels like a shallow record that reuses the same structure for each song and if there's actually some meaningful to be found, the band at this point obviously doesn't know how to extract it these days. Only three songs did I actually feel succeeded: the title track, "No Surrender", and the instrumental intro "Guardians". Everything else fell flat. (Eh, the guitars were nice though.)

Some of the same people who praised Firepower are ones that have criticised the last four / five Maiden albums for being "complete dogshit". "Maiden haven't released a good album since forever!" I disagree on so many levels. Maiden is a completely different beast than it was in 1984. Powerslave is one of my favorite albums ever, but would I really want them to return to something like it? I don't think so. Maiden has matured one way or another with each subsequent release (even if at times it seemed they were sliding back). The stuff they've released now is some of the smartest, much intelligent, most meaningful music I've ever heard. And yet - criticisms. "Man, why can't they get good production like Priest?" Because Maiden is not Priest, and they don't need good production to prove they're the best band in the world. The songs are what's important, and Maiden have delivered almost every time. Having good production or being METAL isn't worth jackshit if you can't write good songs.

So what I'm trying to say is that Speed of Light works great as a single - it'll draw in the more METAL fans, but it's the other songs that will really showcase how good a band Maiden still are and still remain to those fans who are looking for something more than bangers and production.

In other words, I agree with their decision.

Hey, TBOS was a worldwide smash-hit & top-selling album, so no matter what **I** might think about their promotional strategy, it obviously worked out pretty well for 'em. Marketing is an outcome-based endeavor: Either it works or it doesn't. By this metric, "Light" clearly worked.

But as a fan, I want everyone to appreciate how f'n special IM is, and TBOS has some extraordinary moments to choose from. Just wish they led with something different... ya know?

Imagine: You're telling a newbie about this brilliant, clever, thoughtful, epic band called Iron Maiden... and then, the first IM song they ever listen to is about taking your daughter to the slaughter. You'd think, "Oooohhh... wish ya listened to 'Powerslave' first!!"

That's all I'm saying.

Imagine: You're telling a newbie about this brilliant, clever, thoughtful, epic band called Iron Maiden... and then, the first IM song they ever listen to is about taking your daughter to the slaughter.
:D Though to be fair, even BYDTTS is about something. Bruce has stated before that it was metaphorical for a young woman's puberty, even if it comes off as nothing more than a fun romp. ;)

I'll have the answer to this when I finally come around to doing my full 152 (or 155, if I decide to include the 1998 bonus tracks). By God, am I lazy. :p

The Apparition
The Assassin
The Angel and the Gambler
Hooks In You
The Clairvoyant
Quest for Fire
The Aftermath
The Pilgrim
Gangland
The Whole Killers Album (minus title track and murders)

Age of Innocence
Blood on the World's Hands
The Prophecy
Face in the Sand
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
The Mercenary
The Alchemist
Different World
The Man of Sorrows
No More Lies

Last edited:
1.Prodigal Son
2.Strange World
3.Charlotte The Harlot
4.Innocent Exile
5.The Prophecy
6.Public Enema Number One
7.The Apparition
8.The Unbeliever
9.Como Estais Amigos
10.Age Of Innocence

... I'm not sure for 3,5,8 and 9, but if I had to do this list before 1 year, I would have included Drifter - now, the song is a great rocker, to me ! :)

Include the non-album stuff and make it a grand 187 (188 if you include Mission). :ok:
It wouldn't make much sense, neither would it be fair, because I rank most album tracks higher than any covers or B-sides (with the exception of the 1998 bonus tracks, which rank somewhere in the middle). I think I'll start a list tonight. :D

Back