your parents thoughts on metal

The Sewer The Sewer said:
...my tastes in The Stranglers...
Aha, so that is the reasoning behind you name. :D

Anyway __no5, you wanted feedback for the under 22's and they've delivered.

Black Dragon said:
These replies are quite interesting. I thought there was going to be the usual fare where parents think that metal was for bloodthirsty, satanic monsters like these people pictured here, and that their only salvation was here.

Interestingly enough, I found this and this on that site.  Seriously, watch them-they're great for a laugh (although I'm not sure why I'm surprised by the stupitidy of Christian fundamentalism towards metal and rock anymore).

My parents never really cared what music I listened to.  My big push into metal came into Spring 2005, when I borrowed Metallica's S&M and Master of Puppets of a friend.  From there, I dived straight in, and my parents never really cared.  My dad listens to mainly classical music, and he once said that he quite liked a choral section in a Tristania track (minus the distorted guitars and drums).  My mum doesn't really actively listen to music, other than pop and some old rock (Meat Loaf, Queen) and musicals (Phantom of the Opera, Joseph etc. etc.).  Whenever I first got into Maiden she thought it would be very 'heavy', but by this stage I was listening to Childreon of Bodom and Megadeth (not that they're particularly heavy, but still...).  In fact, I once caught my dear mother out while listening to Death on the Road on my Hi-Fi one day

*Mum enters room with the intro to No More Lies*
Mum: Now, that's definitely not Iron Maiden!
Me: Ummm...actually, it is.

Watching the videos I found from my Dublin Maiden gig, my mum said she quite liked the first part of Fear of the Dark.  Essentially, they don't like my music taste much (I think it's just distorted guitars, really), but they tolerate it 100%, except when I play very loudly (which I only really do when I'm alone in the house, anyway).

Natalie said:
...Pink Floyd (she said its music for people who take drugs)...

Erm ... it is.

Note: by this I mean that most people who take drugs also listen to Floyd. If you've ever listened to Wish You Were Here while stoned, you'll know why. It's freaking amazing. It's a much better experience than listening to it straight. However, I do not mean that all Floyd listeners take drugs.

But the connection between Floyd and drug use is much stronger than it is for most bands. Floyd is up there with the Grateful Dead in terms of having earned the reputation as a drug band.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Erm ... it is.

Note: by this I mean that most people who take drugs also listen to Floyd. If you've ever listened to Wish You Were Here while stoned, you'll know why. It's freaking amazing. It's a much better experience than listening to it straight.

everything is better that listening to it straight... ::)  well, is what I've been told  :angel2:

SinisterMinisterX said:
Floyd is up there with the Grateful Dead in terms of having earned the reputation as a drug band.

not so hi as Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead I think,
but yes Floyd is considered a drug band ...
and this by the double meaning of the music that travels you,
and of they, who got "higher" to write it
let's don't forget that Floyd's "diamond" -Syd Barrett- got crazy from the abuse of Lsd
and Wright got fired from the band in '79 for his cocaine problems

SinisterMinisterX said:
Erm ... it is.

Note: by this I mean that most people who take drugs also listen to Floyd. If you've ever listened to Wish You Were Here while stoned, you'll know why. It's freaking amazing. It's a much better experience than listening to it straight. However, I do not mean that all Floyd listeners take drugs.

But the connection between Floyd and drug use is much stronger than it is for most bands. Floyd is up there with the Grateful Dead in terms of having earned the reputation as a drug band.

Watching the Wizzard of Oz to Dark Side of the Moon sure was amazing stoned :D :innocent:

This is an interesting thread.  My parents hated it...and will forever hate it.  They associated it with all things evil and were convinced I worshipped the devil.  I guess that's what happens when your parents are religious fanactics.  I turned out ok, much to their surprise.  HA

Back