Your favourite non-Harris Iron Maiden track

Which one(s)

• Charlotte The Harlot (Murray)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Public Enema Number One (Murray, Dickinson)

• Chains Of Misery (Dickinson, Murray)

• Judas Be My Guide (Dickinson, Murray)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Gangland (Smith, Burr)

• Flight Of Icarus (Smith, Dickinson)

• Sun And Steel (Dickinson, Smith)

• 2 Minutes to Midnight (Smith, Dickinson)

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Back In The Village (Smith, Dickinson)

• Wasted Years (Smith)

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Sea Of Madness (Smith)

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Stranger In A Strange Land (Smith)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Moonchild (Smith, Dickinson)

• Hooks In You (Dickinson, Smith)

• New Frontier (McBrain, Smith, Dickinson)

• Be Quick Or Be Dead (Dickinson, Gers)

• Fear Is The Key (Dickinson, Gers)

• Wasting Love (Dickinson, Gers)

• Judgement Day (Bayley, Gers)

• Man On The Edge (Bayley, Gers)

• Como Estais Amigos (Gers, Bayley)

• Revelations (Dickinson)

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Flash Of The Blade (Dickinson)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Powerslave (Dickinson)

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • Bring Your Daughter…To The Slaughter (Dickinson)

• If Eternity Should Fail (Dickinson)

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Speed of Light (Smith, Dickinson)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Death or Glory (Smith, Dickinson)

• Empire of the Clouds (Dickinson)

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
As we all know, by far most Maiden songs have a Harris touch. To be precise: 120.
These songs were "Stevized", as Rod Smallwood puts it nicely on Flight 666.

Especially since Maiden is a six-piece band, all tracks have been Stevized apart from one. So, I thought it would be nice to give special attention to the only 25 Iron Maiden creations not (co-)penned by Steve. It started with Charlotte The Harlot by Dave Murray and it ended with New Frontier by Nicko McBrain, Adrian Smith and Bruce Dickinson. Please vote, and if possible mention two other worthy candidates.

(and forgive me for not putting them in chronological order: I have these songs in a Word document per bandmember, so like this it was less work)

Tough to choose between Revelations and Poweslave, but I'll say Revelations because I had a revelation during that song when seeing Maiden for the first time (namely, "holyshitimseeingmaidenliverightnow")

Powerslave gets my vote. The instrumental midpiece does it, and I particulary like the backing vocals in the chorus. 2nd and 3rd place are for me the more obscure Sea of Madness and Flight of Icarus.

Moonchild. First off, it's very atmospheric, and very enjoyable to play on guitar. On top of that, the melody lines are aweseme. That's a 9/10 song.

Looking at that list there arent that many songs you could call weak or fillers, and all just as Iron Maiden as the Harris influenced tracks.

For me Stranger is a beautiful song, with the best solo Adrian has ever done IMO. I also love Powerslave and Dave's second solo on Flight Of Icarus is a joy to behold.

I vote for Powerslave. All the necessary has already been mentioned by others. As for 2nd and 3rd, I'll quote SMX :"This poll has so much awesome in it, I can't choose".

I'll throw dice for 2nd and 3rd. Stranger in a Strange Land and 2 Minutes to Midnight.

I went for Powerslave, purely because i love the instrumental break in the middle, 2nd has to be Moonchild because it was the first Maiden song i heard back in 1989 and 3rd has to be 2 minutes to midnight

This one is real hard, but I will go with Powerslave. I love the heaviness of the song and the chorus is fun to sing along to.

Everybody sing along! Ahhhhhhhh.../Tell me why I had to be a Powerslave? Ahhhhhhh.../I don't want to die I'm a God why can't I live on? Ahhhhhhh.../When the Life Giver dies all around is laid waste, Ahhhhhhhh.../and in my last hour I am a slave to the power of Death!

Back