You know you're bored at work when.....

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
You know you're bored at work when....

you get excited over new soap disks in the urinals....

You get pissed about how they accidentally pressed a fingerprint on the picture on your company ID.

...you get engaged in a conversation about contact lenses even though you're not visually impaired.

You know you're bored when you needlessly bump a thread. :D

Or when you visit this site 10 times in the span of an hour... *sigh* I hate finals week :(

.........When I look at a document and keep scrolling up and down, up and down, for hours.   (not really looking)  :p

For programmers:
... when you re-write code from scratch, when you've already written code that will do the job, just to pass the time.
... when you rename all your variables after heavy metal guitarists.
... when you spend 45 minutes on three lines of code that should take you 2 minutes, because you insist on coding in haiku.
... when you're glad to be interrupted by your boss. (Programmers don't like being interrupted in the middle of coding; it disrupts concentration.)

And one more that might be more general:
... when you're actually happy for the break in the monotony provided by a phone call from an angry customer.

I hate doing customer service on the phone. I get assigned to it by my boss for two reasons:
1. He's hearing-impaired. Not completely deaf, but he can't use a phone.
2. My boss thinks I have a good, professional-sounding "phone voice". Others have said similar things to me. I don't actually know; it's not like I try to speak differently on the phone. The only people on this forum who could verify this would be Onhell and Maverick, as they're the ones I've spoken to on the phone.

SinisterMinisterX said:
... when you rename all your variables after heavy metal guitarists.
Let me guess "x=Adrian Smith y=H z= A.S :p

2. My boss thinks I have a good, professional-sounding "phone voice". Others have said similar things to me. I don't actually know; it's not like I try to speak differently on the phone. The only people on this forum who could verify this would be Onhell and Maverick, as they're the ones I've spoken to on the phone.
While I see his point I must say the receptionist at work has got you beat by a long shot :D Somtimes I hang out by her desk to to hear her say "[name of business] How may I help you?" :D her being drop dead gorgeous doesn't hurt either hahaha.

Onhell said:
Let me guess "x=Adrian Smith y=H z= A.S :p

OK, time for a quick programming lesson.

Let's say you're writing a program to count something. You need a spot in the computer's memory to keep track of the count. That spot is referred to by a word called a "variable". It's like how an address refers to a house.

So in this situation, you would usually name your variable "count" or something logical like that - the reason being that when you or someone else looks at the program later, you want the purpose of that variable to be understood.

You usually start counting at zero, so let's do something called initializing the variable:
count = 0

Then, when your program finds an instance of the thing you're counting, you increase count by 1:
count = (count + 1)

Simple, logical and obvious, right?
So imagine the confusion you can create when you write programs that look like:
smith = 0
for each murray in gers:
if murray == mustaine:
smith = smith + 1

(The double equals sign is not a mistake. It's a comparison operator. I can give a lesson on that some other time. There will be a quiz on this material on Tuesday.)

So, if there is 23 murray in gers of which 15 are equal to mustaine, smith will become 15. Right?

only if there is someone there to hear them...

@ perun, more like one Iommi equals 50 Schaffers :p

Back