Yes/no Thinking Game

Three men were fishing from a rowing-boat in the middle of a lake. One man took a cigarette and offered cigarettes to the other two. They discovered that they had no way of lighting their cigarettes - no matches, nothing. Without moving their boat - they didn't go ashore, no other boat came along - how could they get their cigarettes lit?

Was one of them long-sighted and had glasses?

Was the sun shining?

If the answer is 'yes' to both question, it's no rocket science to know how they did it. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=133546:date=Mar 31 2006, 04:11 PM:name=dogigniter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Mar 31 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]133546[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Had the first man already lit his fag?
[/quote]
No.

[!--quoteo(post=133551:date=Mar 31 2006, 04:54 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Mar 31 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]133551[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Was one of them long-sighted and had glasses?

Was the sun shining?
If the answer is 'yes' to both question, it's no rocket science to know how they did it. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]
[/quote]
That's obviously viable, but not what I'm looking for unfortunately.

Was their method/means of lighting the cigarette already in the boat at the beginning of the riddle?

If not, did it come from the lake?

If not, was it dropped from the air (e.g. a seagull drops a box of matches in the boat as it flies off to be eaten by a blind sailor [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /] )?

Come to think of it, did they use an object to light the cigarette?

If not, was it some kind of natural phenomenon (e.g. heat, sunlight etc.-yes, I know Mav suggested the old magnifying-glass trick, but I'm just keeping open)?

I think this may be more literal. Here's my theory.

One of the men threw out something from the boat. The boat and its cargo became "a little lighter." The "little lighter" was then used to light the cigarettes.

Right?

[!--quoteo(post=133545:date=Mar 31 2006, 03:29 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Mar 31 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]133545[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
how could they get their cigarettes lit?
[/quote]
They could use a lighter. There, I answered the question [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

If they had a way of lighting the cigarettes. As National Acrobat has said they discovered they had no way of lighting them so they couldn't. This might be an odd answer but I think they didn't light them if they didn't know how to do it obviously.

[!--quoteo(post=133602:date=Mar 31 2006, 09:22 PM:name=Not_Bruce_Dickinson)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Not_Bruce_Dickinson @ Mar 31 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]133602[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think this may be more literal. Here's my theory.

One of the men threw out something from the boat. The boat and its cargo became "a little lighter." The "little lighter" was then used to light the cigarettes.
Right?
[/quote]
Ah damn, you got it!

One of the men threw his cigarette overboard which made the boat a cigarette lighter. Yeah, I know, I'm a bastard. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Hehe...

Righto, here's another for you.

James and Sally are found dead in a room. They are surrounded by glass and water. There is an open window and a small stool next to it. There is a breeze coming through the window.

The question is... How did they die?

[!--quoteo(post=133742:date=Apr 2 2006, 12:47 PM:name=Not_Bruce_Dickinson)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Not_Bruce_Dickinson @ Apr 2 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]133742[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hehe...

Righto, here's another for you.

James and Sally are found dead in a room. They are surrounded by glass and water. There is an open window and a small stool next to it. There is a breeze coming through the window.

The question is... How did they die?
[/quote]
Surrounded by glass and water? How do you mean exactly? Is the glass broken?

Right, were James and sally putting a new window pain into the frame. Whilst putting it in james was stood on the stool with sally passing him the glass. A storm started whilst they were doing this and it began raining heavily, a strong gust of wind came in through the window and blew james of the stool onto sally and the glass fell on them smashing and killing them. the water came from the rain blowinng in

just a guess, could happen i suppose

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Surrounded by glass and water? How do you mean exactly? Is the glass broken?[/quote]

Yes.

[!--quoteo(post=133745:date=Apr 2 2006, 01:39 PM:name=MaidenEngland787)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MaidenEngland787 @ Apr 2 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]133745[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Right, were James and sally putting a new window pain into the frame. Whilst putting it in james was stood on the stool with sally passing him the glass. A storm started whilst they were doing this and it began raining heavily, a strong gust of wind came in through the window and blew james of the stool onto sally and the glass fell on them smashing and killing them. the water came from the rain blowinng in

just a guess, could happen i suppose
[/quote]

No.

Are there any electrical outlets in the room?

If yes, did they make contact with the water?

Sorry, and another....

Is the house or building situated by the sea, large lake or river?

Here's my sick mind at work again:

James and Sally were living their happy goldfish lives in their bowl on a small stool until the window burst open because of the wind, tipping it over. The bowl crashed on the floor, spraying water and glass. Poor James and Sally died of suffocation, like any goldfish would outside of their natural element.

Do I get a biscuit or was I again talking bollocks? ::

I was thinking it might've been an ice bullet shot from the other side of the window but Mav's answer is a lot more likely [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

I already knew the answer...however, BM, ice bullets are pure fiction. The heat of a gunpowder discharge combined with the friction of the rifling cause the ice in the bullet to turn to steam before it leaves the barrel.

[!--quoteo(post=133928:date=Apr 4 2006, 11:13 AM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Apr 4 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]133928[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
How about an ice bow and arrow?
[/quote]
Surely you mean an ice arrow and a normal bow. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=133937:date=Apr 4 2006, 12:42 PM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 4 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]133937[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Surely you mean an ice arrow and a normal bow. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
No, I mean some chap standing outside the window shot one of them with the arrow and then hit the other over the head with the bow, and both melted. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Back