Wrathchild

How good is Wrathchild on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
  • Lovely bass intro that puts me in the mood straight away.
  • The riffs are very tight and the improved production does a great job polishing them.
  • I don't care for Di'Anno's vocals on this track, especially on the chorus.
  • The lyrics are pretty weak. Overall a fun good song, but not particularly memorable.
7/10.

A Maiden classic! I love it, Dave really shines on this song with his solos. The sound quality is an improvement from the first album
9/10

Very effective song, much better here than on the Metal for muthas compilation, but still a lot better live than here. Killers was the first cd I bought after we got our first cd player, only having listened to vinyls before, it must be the second maiden album that was actually my own as well, so of course it has a special place in my heart. Very difficult to rate it due to the nostalgia vs overplayed factors. Also taken into consideration that it got better live with more guitar licks. Still a solid opener and a better one than prowler. An eight butI will take one point of because I tend to skip it more often than other overplayed songs and that must mean something. I guess.
7/10

I know it's not the most sophisticated Maiden song, but it is absolutely brilliant. The sort of song I get to the end of and press the back button to hear it again. Clearly a...

10/10

8. Great groove, great riffs. It's the NWOBHM track.

This song is awesome. It gets a little overplayed but nothing can take away from the power of the original recording, or even the power that it still has live to this day. I remember in 2010 in Denver when the song began it was like a bomb going off. The audience went nuts and the energy level went up a ton. I could feel the energy in the band going up too. Sure I would've preferred seeing BTATS, but that was a very cool moment regardless.

Adrian's guitar licks really elevate the song too. Right from the beginning you can tell he's a very valuable addition to the band.

9/10. This one has grown on me Tremendously over the years! I never understood why it was often included live and always on the greatest hits album, but now I can see why. It's a very atmospheric short rocker that really builds some momentum on the Killers album. I would really enjoy hearing it live in the future! I'm giving it a 9/10, but it's really pushing a 10/10, though it's just too short to give it a 10 so a strong 9 will work. I really like the intro of course, which I've pointed out in the past that I really like when Maiden does bass intros in songs.

Loving the bass and the chorus but it's nothing special.

Rankings:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild

This song has a great energy, particularly live. At least a few years ago. One of Maiden's best short rockers. 8/10

That fucking bass. Wrathchild is short but oh so sweet. Well, not sweet. More like kick-ass. 9/10

While I can understand some people’s frustrations for this son being played too often live, considering how vast and great Maiden’s catalogue is, that can’t really take much away from the song itself. Everything works very well, the vocals, the solo, the bass, the chorus, and it’s very enjoyable live, while getting the crowd pumped up. Sure, it might not be an absolute masterpiece, but it’s definitely a great song. 9/10

Very strong song, but quite a bit overrated. Although, it's consistent and short enough to keep the listener interested, it knows right when to stop so it doesn't get boring. 7 from me.

Last edited:
I never gave this song much love until all the whining about it being overplayed on these forums. I recently learned how to play the riffs and now I'm converted - it's a great little rocker...no more, no less.

A sweet bass groove rolls into a soaring lead on top of a cool main riff. The Iron Maiden we know and love has finally arrived.

Paul delivers a rough but effective vocal through the verse with some cool guitar accents. The chorus is a little flat, especially the "oooh yea-e-yeah" part, but it gets the job done.

A pretty good solo gives way to a nice interlude with a good long scream from Paul. One more round through the verse and chorus and we end with a final "yeah!" that sounds great.

This one's pure adrenaline from start to finish, with the only real weakness being a slightly lackluster chorus. 8/10.

From "Ides" into this short little anthemic track that people LOVE seeing live. "Wrathchild" is popular for a reason - it's a damn fine song. Di'Anno is better than he was on the debut here, Steve is nailing it, and the rest are all putting their backs into it. It's pretty much perfect. 10/10.

Back