Worst Single Lyric/Line

I'm almost certain it's "speck of dust and cosmic sand." "In" would make little sense. But yes, I really like that line. All in all, Coming Home is an excellent song, lyrically. My favorite from it may well be "We will ride this thunderbird..."

It says 'in' in the lyric book thing, but perhaps he sings it as 'and'. Not that that makes any more sense really...

Upon further examination, I guess it would. In any case, I don't see why that line is bad. Care to explain?

And in my view, the pranced line is maybe a bit flamboyant, but only to the extent that it makes sense, in the context I explained in my previous post.

I just find it unpleasantly cheesy. I think it's something to do with the work cosmic...conjures up visions of Brian Cox, perhaps ;)
I like what the line's saying, and to me the whole song is comfortably cheesy, just for me cosmic sand is taking it too far

Bruce says that he was aware the subject matter of Coming Home was prone to cheesiness and he tried hard to avoid it. I think he has done well - the lyrics are powerful without really being cheesy.

This topic has made me think very hard but so far I can't think of a Maiden lyric that annoys me. I'm slightly bothered with a line in Road to Hell, though. The line where Bruce sings:
"...cause we are the junkies who never can win" sounds wrong to me because of the word order. I understand that the right way wouldn't fit the melody, but I still don't like it.

and ones where the meaning of phrases is used wrongly ('thy shall be done', ATSS...'thy will be done' means thy *wishes* be done, not shall...

That's one that bothers me too. I can usually ignore the grammatical blips as just poetic licence, but "thy shall be done" really makes no sense.

It's interesting to note that "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done" is a line in the Lord's Prayer, one of the central prayers in Christianity. I found it interesting just now looking that up because I had remembered it "thy shall be done," like the line in ATSS (I'm not a Christian, so it's not a high priority of mine to have the Lord's Prayer memorized). So maybe Steve got the line mixed up and never bothered to look it up. Just an interesting little tidbit, I thought.

I'm sure that everyone knows this already, but "Hallowed be thy name" is also from the Lord's Prayer.

I "kinda know" the prayer, but I never noticed there's "thy will be done". Interesting to know why they did it...

OK, for future reference:

Our father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done.
On earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts
As we have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
And the power,
And the glory,
Forever.

You don't go to very many funerals, do you? ;)

As good as it is musically, I find that most of Virtual XI's lyrics lack quality, imagination, and any real in-depth meaning... especially by Maiden's standards.

"As the ominous light draws near there's a lone dog howls in the park"
-Doesn't even make sense to me!

"Do you really wanna be just another one statistic or feel,
That you really should aspire - That you really do deserve more?
Do you ever really feel that you have so much potential inside?
What you really have to give could be realized so much more"

-I mean, really!?

Not to mention it's boringly repetitive in about 5 of the songs.

Virtual XI has some of the cheesiest Maiden lyrics ever. And that's actually saying something.

Lyric-wise, Virtual XI is indeed not the best Maiden album. Although I really dig The Educated Fool, including the lyrics. It's one of my favourite songs, actually.

OK, for future reference:

Our father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done.
On earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts
As we have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
And the power,
And the glory,
Forever.

You don't go to very many funerals, do you? ;)

I went to a Church of England primary school (although am not religious, it's just cos it was the closest primary school :p) and so we had to say it every day, although the version we had was slightly different and according to wiki the catholic version.

The only differences with the one you posted above are debts/debtors becomes trespasses/trespass against us, and the last line is "Forever and Ever, amen".

"A man who casts no shadow has no soul"

I don't find this line bad, I just don't understand it. Help?

Back