who has been more important to the band? Adrian or Dave?

rocket_man

mess with me and i'll pull out my rocket on you
I am new so i dont know if this has been asked, i am sure it has..........but i was wondering what y'all thought.........to me it is very obvious that it has been Adrian.........Dave has rarely written much material, although i have no doubt he contributes heavily in all areas........to me Adrian has actually helped change the direction of the band (even more than Bruce).........thanks for reading.

Please.....go easy......on the periods......

As for the question, I would say H. In recent years Dave's importance to the band has declined. H's has only grown since joining. And these days I could argue that he is the most important member of the band.

Although Davey is the only member aside from Steve to have been in the band for every single album, I really can't look past H when it comes to who has been the most important to the band from a musical standpoint between the two. Davey has never been a prolific songwriter for Maiden, even in the early days of the band. Whereas H has had such an impact on the band's music, and it's style. Right from the very first album to which he contributed material ("The Number Of The Beast"), he left an indelible mark on the Maiden sound, which has only grown and become more prominent as time as gone on. You could feasibly argue that even Janick has made more of a contribution to the actual sound of the band since he's joined than Davey has, although Davey has that unmistakable, inimitable lead guitar sound that would certainly leave a great hole in the band if he were to ever leave.

Their influence on the band has been very different in many aspects. Although Davey hasn't written many songs, those that he contributed to are all brilliant. In fact, I can't think of any song that Davey has been credited for that I don't like, while there have been a few Adrian's songs that are not really universally enjoyed, if you know what I mean, like Hooks in You or Gangland.

However, in the reunion era, it is clear that Adrian has grown and developed a lot as a musician and songwriter, while Davey's influence can be felt stronger in the early years. Still, I feel that for many people the distinct sound of Iron Maiden is in fact the sound of Davey's guitar. It's pretty hard to choose, it seems.

Having said all that, Adrian has always been my favourite member of Maiden and I can't really be objective, so after all the rambling I'd say - Adrian.

Songwriting isn't everything that matters.

In concerts Dave has been more important. When Adrian went home in 1999 because of his father's death, the band played on. When Dave injured his finger in 1999, the band cancelled. And when Janick fell off stage in 2000, the band cancelled.

Naturally, if H was injured during the Final Frontier tour, the band probably would have cancelled as well.
These days, Adrian can be seen as the most important, but when looking at the total picture, I'd say no.
Also, not unimportant: Adrian did not enjoy touring with Maiden in the second half of the eighties. So he certainly was not an important factor in that regard (unless you call him important as a negative factor). The band even decided for him that he had to leave. I don't think you can call someone the most important when he's asked to leave.

When he left, Maiden did not quit in 1990. With loyal Dave around, Maiden had enough basis to continue and find a replacement. And luckily, within an eyewink they found someone else. And even if people don't like Janick that much, and like the Adrianless era way less, that era still happened and contributed in Maiden's survival.
Fear of the Dark went to number 1 in England and also, the 1990s gave us The X-Factor (and I'm even leaving out a certain other record ;-).

Do you think that if Davey left for whatever reason in the 80s, they would have quit?

Back in those days, Steve's drive and ambition were so great that he would have replaced himself, if he had to. OK, maybe I exaggerate a bit, but I think you get my point. :p

Do you think that if Davey left for whatever reason in the 80s, they would have quit?

Back in those days, Steve's drive and ambition were so great that he would have replaced himself, if he had to. OK, maybe I exaggerate a bit, but I think you get my point. :p

Probably not in the 1980s, but from the 1990s until now: I'd be inclined to say yes.
If H were to leave for a second time (if the rest still have a great deal of commitment), I can see Maiden continuing again without him.

The fact that Adrian was "let go" as opposed to him leaving of his own accord is a moot point really, as it is a well known fact that he was not happy with the musical direction that the band was heading towards with No Prayer. I still have a Maiden fan club magazine for the time shortly after Adrian left, where Nicko says "his heart wasn't in it anymore" (in regards to the initial No Prayer sessions which H was a part of), which is the reason why there was a mutual parting of the ways. If Maiden hadn't let him go, it's highly likely he'd have left of his own accord anyway, as he was disillusioned with the band at that time wanting to go into a rawer, heavier direction, whereas he wanted to write and play more melodic material. When you compare "Silver And Gold" with "No Prayer For The Dying", it's very clear that H was not on the same page musically as the rest of Maiden so a split was inevitable I think, even if Maiden didn't decide to let him go.

As for the calibre of the material which Davey has written, I wouldn't say everything he's written has been great, but the vast majority of the songs he's contributed to have been great. For the most part, he has contributed "album tracks" (as opposed to singles) many of which, have been criminally underrated, such as "Judas Be My Guide", "Fates Warning", and "Still Life". And in more recent years, he has even started contributing major hit singles for the band like "Rainmaker", and "....Benjamin Breeg". Plus, "A Thin Line Between Love And Hate" is one of my fave Maiden tracks ever, and one of Davey's greatest contributions to the band's catalogue.

I think that Dave is the most important member of Maiden, after Steve. It's a pretty simple observation, in my opinion. Compare the albums H was on to those he wasn't on. Most people will of course argue that they are worse (and I would disagree with all my heart), but can you really say they don't sound like Maiden? If you listen to the studio versions of Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Fear of the Dark or The Clansman, would you really argue that they are so different in sound and style than what came before? And did the overall sound and style of the band change so radically when H returned? There is a limit to what a songwriter does to the development of the sound, in the end it comes down to the musicians who play it. And as far as that is concerned, I think that Dave's way of playing pretty much defined Iron Maiden's sound.

All hail Murray!

Yip, H writes tunes --but Maiden's sound is all Davey (& Steve). Murray's songwriting, as mentioned, is fantastic, & seriously underappreciated. H's the opposite i.e. far too much praise. Maiden could (& can) live without H; not so sure if they'd have carried on if Davey left. Davey gets far, far too much criticism; lazy solos live, doesn't write, etc etc. Totally unfair. I'd pick Davey over H every day of the week, great guitarist as H is.

Forostar: good points. Presumably nobody, seriously, was going to attempt Janick's lead work! :D
In regard to Davey's finger, I thought (after a small break) Dave came back, but didn't do lead work. Would love to hear that.

great discussion! made me think about Dave more......i must agree on the overall sound thing, maiden would not be the same without him............i guess to me the bigger point may be that Dave and Adrian is much better than Dave and Janick..........they seem gel better and THAT definitely is the maiden sound for me!

Great topic this one. I would not hesitate on the matter. Steve has always made it clear that Davey joining the band (and later, rejoining) was a turning point. He was the best guitar player Steve has known, and most of all, he was the first person to really believe in Steve's musical vision. He really helped Maiden to establish itself in the underground scene, and, reading Maiden's History, one gets the impression that with him and a solid drummer, Steve could keep on writing songs and developping his dream. Plus, his sound is really Maiden's trademark. As for Smith, he is important, but has never been necessary. Would Maiden keep on going nowadays without Dave ? I doubt it.

cant believe that Adrian is unnnecessary...........now maybe Janick could leave without it mattering, but not Adrian..........i make mention of the albums when Adrian was gone, not even close to the same calibre of music.........IMO..........just because someone was not there in the forming of the band has no relevance to me........the music AND band is just better with Adrian.

The fact that Iron Maiden went on for 9 years without Adrian, producing at least one great (by Maiden standards, by rest of the world's standards all 4 are great) album along the way, tends to favor Dave being more important. Aside from Steve Harris' bass, Maiden's sound is probably most characterized by Dave's guitar. After all, they're the only two members to have been in the band for every studio album.

I tried to answer the initial question : who has been more important to the band ? In this respect, the band's history and the permanence of a member are important facts, or am I wrong ? For me, Dave has been a lot more important in the band's history than any other Maiden member, Steve apart obviously, because he was functionnal in giving a new dimension to what was a microlocal band. But this is just a personal opinion, and I won't argue with anyone on this.

I have the feeling that Dave is Steve's eternal friend. So, imho, there can only be Maiden with Mr. Murray and Mr. Harris. All the other members are "replaceable" (though Nicko is another "plank" of Maiden, i think).

Maybe Maiden is not only about music, but a long story of friendship between the two.

Back