Which songs should be played live?

From the latest album I'd particularly like to see Coming Home (surely nailed on) and The Talisman live. I don't envisage many old songs to be played next year which weren't in this summer's setlist.

I think we can all agree that PFD won't be played

Prowler_108 said:
5. Paschendale or Isle of Avalon

This choice doesn't seem so difficult for me, as a realistic choice:

Isle of Avalon for sure. If not, then Paschendale also not.

Jonszat said:
If we're going to start speculating on final tour setlists: I'd really like to see Hallowed as the last song of the encore.

That's actually an interesting question on it's own, what song would people want as the final encore song of the last Maiden concert ever? I'd agree with you, it has to be Hallowed.

Forostar said:
This choice doesn't seem so difficult for me, as a realistic choice:

Isle of Avalon for sure. If not, then Paschendale also not.
Yeah, looking back i don't think it'll be Paschendale.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
PFD? As in Paschen Fucking Dale?
yep :ok:
Jason2103 said:
That's actually an interesting question on it's own, what song would people want as the final encore song of the last Maiden concert ever? I'd agree with you, it has to be Hallowed.
journeyman. or prowler to end in a nice loop

national acrobat said:
From the latest album I'd particularly like to see Coming Home (surely nailed on) and The Talisman live. I don't envisage many old songs to be played next year which weren't in this summer's setlist.

Coming home WILL be played.  However,  although The Talisman is a great song, that intro is SO long, that I think maybe they don't play that one since they need to fit  X amount of songs into an hour and 45 minutes.  what do you think?

adrian fn rules said:
Coming home WILL be played.  However,  although The Talisman is a great song, that intro is SO long, that I think maybe they don't play that one since they need to fit  X amount of songs into an hour and 45 minutes.   what do you think?

They played the legacy and that intros a lot longer and more boring than the talisman

Babo 91 said:
They played the legacy and that intros a lot longer and more boring than the talisman

It's a good point except "boring" is pretty harsh.  As far as playing songs with extended, atmospheric openings the band played Dance of Death recently, The Legacy on AMOLAD tour and on the Brave New World Tour they played Dream of Mirrors, Sign of the Cross and The Clansman..... OK, many of these songs do not have an "acoustic" intro but they all have lengthy, clean sounding atmospheric openings (discounting the opening riffs of DoM before it settles down).  My point being that Maiden obviously don't feel that these type of songs interfere with the dynamics of their shows. In fact it seems the band loves playing these slow building epics....and therefore the opening of The Talisman should not impact it's chances of being played.

They will play The Talisman and there is a good chance of an incredible backdrop and costume for Bruce.  Two spotlights for the opening, one on Bruce and the other on Janick playing the acoustic.  Then the stage will erupt as the song blasts off in what could be a highlight of the show. :rocker:

The Talisman is definitely going to make the setlist. Yeah, it has a long drawn-out intro, but that's actually a good thing for the band. While Jan or H or Dave is playing acoustic for the intro and Bruce is singing, where's the other guys? Grabbing a drink, recovering, replenishing their energy, having a break. That means they can rock harder, longer.

I honestly think that's part of the purpose of the song - to put a mid-setlist break in for 66% of the band.

Plus, was there not an interview in which Bruce said The Talisman would be played on the tour? Though of course that's just an indication at this point rather than anything definite.
And we also know that Maiden will do anything they want to and if that includes a long "boring" intro, who cares.

Isle of Avalon is out. Where the Wild Wind Blows is the Steve epic, therefore it is in. The Talisman is certain to be the other epic played. It's a straight-forward, balls-to-the-wall, old school rocker, except longer and with an intro. I'd love for them to play Starblind, but it ain't gonna happen.

Babo 91 said:

Longer yes, more boring no.

Musically, The Talisman's intro sounds like a somewhat uninspired exercition. Even the deafest people can hear that it was largely based on the The Legacy intro which has more different parts.

LooseCannon said:
Isle of Avalon is out. Where the Wild Wind Blows is the Steve epic, therefore it is in. The Talisman is certain to be the other epic played. It's a straight-forward, balls-to-the-wall, old school rocker, except longer and with an intro. I'd love for them to play Starblind, but it ain't gonna happen.

I wonder how the band feel about starblind? to many fans its the best song since paschendale and in theie top 10 but  maiden may percieve as just another song. They probably appreciate when the wild wind blows more and feel its more of a masterpiece.

Assuming they do the traditional 6 new songs, I think the only ones that won't be played are -

Mother of Mercy
Isle of Avalon
Starblind (sadly)
The Man Who Would Be King

everything else will be played.

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier
El Dorado
Coming Home
The Alchemist
The Talisman
When The Wild Wind Blows

Forostar said:
Musically, The Talisman's intro sounds like a somewhat uninspired exercition. Even the deafest people can hear that it was largely based on the The Legacy intro which has more different parts.

While 'The Legacy' is a pile of shit, 'The Talisman' is well worth being played live.

Back