Which Iron Maiden song did it?

1: No writing credit to Steve Harris.
2: If the length of both this song and the one before it on the album are added, you get 7:05.
3: A book of the same name exists.

The murder took place at the dinner table. The victim said his improvised last words to the men beside him: ____ to the priest and ____ to the murderer. This was followed by a (track 4) at (two tracks earlier). The police have extracted a confession from _____ (track 6, obvious). The hit was a _____, related to the time of death. The deeper motive? Who was the victim? Perhaps he was ____ (penultimate).

The murder took place at the dinner table. The victim said his improvised last words to the men beside him: ____ to the priest and ____ to the murderer. This was followed by a Flash Of The Blade at 2 Minutes To Midnight. The police have extracted a confession from Back In The Village (track 6, obvious). The hit was a _____, related to the time of death. The deeper motive? Who was the victim? Perhaps he was Powerslave (penultimate).

Feel free to fill in the rest of the blanks.

The songs are not all from the same album, unless a particular clue strongly suggests that some songs may be from the same album.

Edit: RTC got Flash and 2 Minutes right.

Is the emphasis on beside significant? Perhaps he said "judgement of heaven" to the priest, and "the edge of darkness" to the murderer, and the victim is "blood on the world's hands"? Or maybe he said "no more lies" to the priest and "dance of death" to the murderer, and the victim is French?

I'll go a different route and guess Heaven Can Wait to the priest and Sea Of Madness to the killer.

"From here to eternity" to the priest, and "afraid to shoot strangers" to the murderer?

The murder took place at the dinner table. The victim said his improvised last words to the men beside him: No Prayer for the Dying to the priest and Heaven Can Wait to the murderer. This was followed by a Flash of the Blade at 2 Minutes to Midnight. The police have extracted a confession from The Assassin (track 6, obvious). The hit was a Judgement of Heaven, related to the time of death. The deeper motive? Who was the victim? Perhaps he was The Unbeliever (penultimate).

Doesn't fit "penultimate", but makes sense to me as a story...

Hehe, let me solve it.

The victim said his improvised last words to the men beside him:

Beside emphasized because the answers are b-sides. I even added "improvised" to indicate which ones...
To the priest: "More tea, vicar?"
To the Assassin: "Pass the jam."

Shadow guessed The Assassin correctly.

The hit was related to the time of death, already known to be 23:58 ... the hit was a Mission From 'Arry (related as in b-side of that single).

Penultimate: second-to-last. The victim was killed for his ambition. He was The Man Who Would Be King.

Next! :D

1: The second Iron Maiden song to meet specific criteria.
2: 2 tracks later however, it was outclassed in this attribute.
3: Seems to be in cahoots with The Clairvoyant.

I'll get the ball rolling:
The Prisoner?
"Specific criteria" = "The" in the title? After The Ides of March, The Prisoner was the second track to have "The" in the title. Two tracks later, "The Number of the Beast" has "the" twice, therefore outclasses The Prisoner.
No idea about "cahoots with The Clairvoyant" though, other than being another "The" song.
Am I wrong or am I wrong?

Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

1. The second song on Fear of the Dark to have a sole Harris writing credit.
2. Childhood's end is the next one written only by Steve.
3. The lyrics use the "sweat on the brow" image that The Clairvoyant also has.

[QUOTE="2Mins, post: 484971, member: 26196"
The Prisoner?
No idea about "cahoots with The Clairvoyant" though... Am I wrong or am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

I was also considering "The Prisoner", because a live version was a b-side of "The Clairvoyant" single. Same for "Heaven Can Wait".

Problem is, I didn't see how either of those songs was the "second" of something, or "outclassed" (in any specific way) 2 tracks later.

I tried to find a reason to answer "Gates of Tomorrow", because 2 tracks later is Paschenfuckingdale which outclasses everything. :D Aside from that quite subjective idea, I saw no pair of tracks, 2 apart, where the second "outclasses" the first.

Problem is, I didn't see how either of those songs was the "second" of something, or "outclassed" (in any specific way) 2 tracks later.

The Prisoner is the second song in the Maiden album canon to start with "The", which is 'specific'. It is outclassed in that regard two tracks later by The Number of The Beast. As you point out, it is also a B-side to The Clairvoyant. Maybe @RTC is wrong and I am right after all?...

1: The second Iron Maiden song to meet specific criteria.
2: 2 tracks later however, it was outclassed in this attribute.
3: Seems to be in cahoots with The Clairvoyant.
Being in cahoots with The Clairvoyant is the only clue here. Specific criteria are virtually limitless.

Back