Which Iron Maiden album would you like to see performed live in its entirety?

Choose one album:

• Somewhere In Time

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • The Number Of The Beast

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Killers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Powerslave

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Piece Of Mind

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Iron Maiden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • No Prayer For The Dying

• Fear Of The Dark

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The X Factor

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Virtual XI

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Brave New World

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Dance Of Death

• A Matter Of Life & Death

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • The Final Frontier

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
In the last few years, many bands played shows/tours focused on one album - Megadeth (Rust In Peace), Saxon (Wheels Of Steel), Slayer (Reign In Blood, Seasons In The Abyss), Grave Digger (Tunes Of War) etc. Which album would you like to see Iron Maiden play live in its entirety?

My choice: Somewhere In Time :rocker:

NightProwler666 said:
In the last few years, many bands played shows/tours focused on one album...

If only Maiden had thought of that. :innocent:

Seriously, I've never liked this trend at all. If I have to choose, it's NotB. But it's still a dumb idea.

SinisterMinisterX said:
If only Maiden had thought of that. :innocent:

Seriously, I've never liked this trend at all.
Really? Why not? There have been some good albums played live.

I hope Maiden won't do this. All these bands chose old albums because they never made something of the same level afterwards. In an ultimate attempt to draw more people to their concerts they give in to this cabaret act.

Still, if they did, I wouldn't stay home and pick Somewhere in Time.
It's probably my favourite album and I have only witnessed two songs of it, in concert.

A good example of doing this: Amon Amarth will play two sets on their forthcoming tour, first set consisting of their latest album in its entirety, and the second set with songs from all of their albums.

Forostar said:
I hope Maiden won't do this. All these bands chose old albums because they never made something of the same level afterwards. In an ultimate attempt to draw more people to their concerts they give in to this cabaret act.
What about Aerosmith? Permanent Vacation is a classic album. Better than Toys IMO.

Most albums don't deserve it. They're collections of songs, not written to be played together. Something like a concept album, where the full presentation has some point, is good. But most albums have filler that doesn't deserve being played live, so there's no excuse for playing the whole album besides cash from nostalgic fans.

How many of these bands are playing new albums live, like Maiden did? I want the band to play sets I enjoy, but pandering to the fans annoys me.

'Brave New World'! It would be simply awesome if they played my favourite album of all time in its entirety. The mere thought of seeing and hearing 'The Nomad' and 'The Thin Line Between Love And Hate' live makes me freak out.

Stallion Duck said:
What about Aerosmith? Permanent Vacation is a classic album. Better than Toys IMO.

What do you mean with the question? If it deserves a performance?
Can't judge it, I am not aware of (good) Aerosmith albums, don't like their singles enough to explore them further.

Forostar said:
What do you mean with the question? If it deserves a performance?
Can't judge it, I am not aware of (good) Aerosmith albums, don't like their singles enough to explore them further.
SMX said the bands who performed albums live didn't do anything of the same level afterwards. With Aerosmith I don't think that's the case. Permanent Vacation is one of my favorite albums of all time, not one bad song. Even the singles are really good. It would be great to see live, and it came out after Toys.  And I don't know about most fans, but I personally think the followup P.U.M.P. was equally very good. 

Stallion Duck said:
SMX said the bands who performed albums live didn't do anything of the same level afterwards.

I said this and I was not aware of Aerosmith doing this as well, let alone which album.

Stallion Duck said:
With Aerosmith I don't think that's the case. Permanent Vacation is one of my favorite albums of all time, not one bad song. Even the singles are really good. It would be great to see live, and it came out after Toys.  And I don't know about most fans, but I personally think the followup P.U.M.P. was equally very good. 

OK, got ya.

Somewhere In Time. It has an unique theme, and not a single filler track. Since Iron Maiden show lasts ~ 100 minutes (of music), after you include essentials (HBTN/IM) + whole of SiT, there's still ~35 minutes left to bring in other tracks.

0. Blade Runner Theme
1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. Sea Of Madness
3. Infinite Dreams
4. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
6. Wasted Years
7. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
8. Walking On Glass
9. Stranger In A Strange Land
10. Heaven Can Wait
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Iron Maiden
--------------------------------------------------------
13. Starblind
14. Deja Vu
15. Alexander The Great

There - you have a blasting two SiT song setlist beginning, going into a classic proggy SSoASS moment, breaking into two very energetic SiT songs again,  followed by a true fucking classic in the middle. ROTAM goes into Walking On Glass (modified for three guitar thing somehow  :D), resembling original Somewhere On Tour. There we continue with moody mid tempo song, followed by three crowd participation moments. Encore - a true new classic proceeding into energy liftup with beautiful Deja Vu, show ending with one and only Alexander The Great.

I would consider Piece Of Mind or Number Of The Beast setlists as cabaret nostalgia thing. But not Somewhere In Time. Why? SiT tour was 25 years ago. Only one SiT track got a large number of subsequent appearances after that. One other SiT track got a into a few setists after that. Then, one another SiT track appeared only on dozen of dates in 1999. Two were never ever played. One was dropped after a date or two of original tour. Another one was dropped shortly after first leg. Even the bootlegs of original tour are of sub-standard quality.

You can think what you want of this record, you may not like synthesizers, you may not like what direction they took with it, but it's a golden era album widely regarded as one of their best, both by fans and media critics. If any album deserves to be played in eternity, a revisit - it's SiT.

Get rid of the intro, of Walking on Glass, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait, and add 2 or 3 out of 4 (all four would be too much I'm afraid) of these songs and it'd be more perfect imo:

To Tame a Land
Only the Good Die Young
Mother Russia
The Unbeliever

Didn't we say that whole album needs to be played live? Walking On Glass isn't necessary but it would enhance the feel of the original tour, especially coupled with ROTAM, mid-setlist.
Both TTAL and Still Life came as stong contenders also, and i especially thought as Only The Good Die young - but it's a closer, and we know that on complete SiT tour there can be only one possible closer  ;)

In the end, to satisfy only one fan's dreams, Maiden should play a 25-30 song setlist. At least.

Zare said:
Didn't we say that whole album needs to be played live?

You're right, but I break the rules to dream a bit more, indeed.

Correction of my previous post:

Get rid of the intro, of Walking on Glass, Wasted Years, Iron Maiden, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Heaven Can Wait, and add 4 or 5 of these songs (all 8 would be too much I'm afraid) and it'd be more perfect imo:

Transylvania
Genghis Khan
To Tame a Land
The Duellists (especially for Zare  :D )
Only the Good Die Young
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Mother Russia
The Unbeliever
(these eight are the rest of my "unseen ranked with 10 songs", and the whole set would consist of my favourite songs of which I haven't seen a single one)

I'd go to a concert just to see those 8 being played.

I'd pay the double price, and would even be prepared to see this band doing a double length opening set.

I'd do the dishes of all members of this forum, for the duration of a year.
I'd clean the toilets of all members of this forum, for the duration of a year.
I'd basically do about anything, because it will never happen.  :D

Back