Where Eagles Dare

How good is Where Eagles Dare on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I don't know. It's kind of cheesy and it's always felt like it runs too long. I just could never get into it. But I do love Bruce's vocals in it. Maybe it's that lame chorus.

Cheesiness also killed Man of Sorrows a bit for me (but not nearly to the same degree).

The lyrics are not deep by any stretch of the imagination, but I never thought of it as cheesy.  Oh well, to each his own.

Hum... Piece of Mind is a great album for my taste. And Where eagles dare is growing fast on me. Superb album opening. Better than Invaders.

Re: Daily Song: Where Eagles Dare

LooseCannon said:
I don't like Piece of Mind that much. Lots of people love it, but I have always considered it to be mediocre.

That sounds exaggerating, mate. Just watch your grade in the individual rankings. Working on it now, and posting soon.  :)

Compared to others it's low you mean? Alright, relatively seen yes, but I'd never use the word mediocre anymore.
I forbid you to.

In the beginning this song made a bigger impression. Now I find it a bit less, especially when I compare with later songs on the album. The positive sides are the strong high vocals, and the relentless riffs, but these same riffs are repeated a bit too often to lift the song to a higher level. Nicko does an awesome job, and I guess this is one of the songs he is most famous for. It's typically a style in which he ranks high above many other drummers in the field. The bass drums follow each other quickly and it's a pleasure to hear his ride cymbal accenting along.

A solid 7, almost a 7,5. Thus a 7.

Where Eagles Dare is perfect to me. The best Maiden opener ever, but so much more than an opener. So heavy, with an excellent mid-part. This song is a voyage from the start to the end. 10/10

One of the best Maiden openers, gives great energy. Drumming is the best part of the song.

8/10

9 out of 10... I agree that Nicko's drumming, especially the intro, is a high point, but Bruce's awesome performance floors me every time. It's among the best album openers, and was an impressive introduction to the "new guy" sitting in Clive's spot...

This doesn't get a ten because Bruce sounds a little rushed and it's a little too long, but fuck that drumming... :edmetal:
And Piece of Mind is a masterpiece.

Prowler_108 said:
This doesn't get a ten because Bruce sounds a little rushed and it's a little too long, but fuck that drumming... :edmetal:
And Piece of Mind is a masterpiece.

Is this a nine?

My favorite Maiden Opener. The lyrics and guitar part is great and it is too bad that they don't play it live much. I am very glad to have seen it in 2005. 10/10

Killer song. Nicko's best performance is on this song, drums are the best part of the song. 10/10.

Back