When the Wild Wind Blows

How good is When the Wild Wind Blows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The Man Who Would Be King

There are some cool guitar solos, and I don’t mind the lyrics, but the music just feels a bit predictable to me. The vocal melody sounds very familiar with a lot of the stuff from the reunion/Blaze albums, and I think it lacks a proper climax. I was hoping this song would grow, but so far it hasn’t.

I like the vaguely nursery-rhymesque melody of the song, but whenever I hear Bruce sing "they only fills us with the stuff that they want" I'm like...  :huh: I think the lyrics on this one are kinda weak. I know, Maiden is probably more epic than lyrical (even though Starblind, for example, shows they can be quite poetic too) but still I think the lyrics could have been better.

I think WTWWB has the unfortunate situation to be on the same album as Starblind.  That songs blows me away so much, that be the end of the album, anything else is a let down.  That being said, i'm looking forward to a live version to really "feel" this song.  As it stands, it's an 11 minute riff collage.  Still love it though, but I think i'd rather have Starblind just be 30 minutes long to end the album.  :innocent:

chaosapiant said:
I think WTWWB has the unfortunate situation to be on the same album as Starblind.  That songs blows me away so much, that be the end of the album, anything else is a let down.  That being said, i'm looking forward to a live version to really "feel" this song.  As it stands, it's an 11 minute riff collage.  Still love it though, but I think i'd rather have Starblind just be 30 minutes long to end the album.  :innocent:
After listening to the album without The last three songs, I must say I agree I think the last three songs can be considered bonus songs. Maybe Steve should've waited ten years for this one. :innocent:

For me, the bonus three (and my least favourite three) are The Alchemist, Isle of Avalon and Starblind. WTWWB is my fave song off the album. I still love those 3 songs, but I they've never been able to move me as much as the rest of the album. Starblind is growing on me slowly, though. We'll see what happens in the future.

Overlord said:
Did anyone else notice that in the interviews released with the CD that Bruce doesn't seem to be that carried away with this song? He seems to not want to talk about it and wants the interviewer to move on to the next question.

What interviews? Could you share the link to them? Edit: Oh, you mean "Mission Debrief"?

To be on topic, I'd like to mention that WTWWB is still the only song from the album I haven't gotten to like.

Jupz said:
For me, the bonus three (and my least favourite three) are The Alchemist, Isle of Avalon and Starblind. WTWWB is my fave song off the album. I still love those 3 songs, but I they've never been able to move me as much as the rest of the album. Starblind is growing on me slowly, though. We'll see what happens in the future.
Starblind? Starblind? Starblind?!?!?!?! That is the highlight of the album. That song is the reason that the last three songs don't seem as great as they actually are. I wouldn't call the Alchemist a bonus song, it is more of a filler. (a GREAT filler)

The Knife Master said:
Starblind? Starblind? Starblind?!?!?!?! That is the highlight of the album. That song is the reason that the last three songs don't seem as great as they actually are. I wouldn't call the Alchemist a bonus song, it is more of a filler. (a GREAT filler)

Thats just my opinion  :p I've never really been able to get into the vocal melodies, and the slow soft intro followed by a heavier riff I found was better on The Talisman and The Man Who Would Be King. However, as I said it is growing on me. I now like it better then The Alchemist and Isle of Avalon.

This song has segments that I enjoy (the picture on the wall is falling down, Dave's solo around 6:30) but in general I feel that it's missing something that could make it a truly excellent song.  As it stands it's merely OK.

This song is just so amazing.

The riff at the start of the song (0:46) is especially beautiful and so fun to play on guitar.

Code:
e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-o-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--9-11-12-11-9-9-7-7---7----------9-11-12-11-9-9-7-7-----------------------|
D|---------------------9---9-9----7--------------------9-7-------------------|
A|-o---------------------------10--------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------15~----------------o----|
G|-9-11-12-11-9-9-7-7---7-----------12-11-12~--14-16-------------------------|
D|--------------------9---9-9----7-------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------10----------------------------------------o----|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

it's not like that on the tab book.....

The best way is work it out by yourself listening - you'll play it the way it's comfortable for you. It's sometimes needlessly hard situated in tab books..

But the shame is I'm not able to get chords, difficult riffs and stuff just by listening..

I learned it by listening too and the book does the same as me. It is more comfortable (IMO) to play it that way then the one below.

I like how Jeff has given us the tabs. I was playing this song about 6 weeks ago and loved it. Heaps of fun. But as I tend to do have moved back to playing my own music. Starblind is fun to play...especially the riff after the solos. How much fun!!
Sorry Valacirca, I meant you not Jeff. Btw, your countdown rules.

Jeffmetal your contributions rule too and I hope you see Maiden play in Brazil this year.

Thanx, man. I'm waiting for the set list from the first gig, in Russia. I might be hoping in vain, but I want an unpredictable set list.

I think everyone does.

Wow you want to see the setlist after Russia. I'm seeing 'em in Sydney twice this month and want a total surprise on the new and old songs so I won't visit this site between 11-25 Feb just in case. M hoping for 6 new songs at least and plenty of reunion material.

Btw...last year when Maiden didn't tour Oz I couldn't wait for the first US show of the tour. I took a sick day just to watch the setlist come in song by song. A very cool time.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
I like how Jeff has given us the tabs. I was playing this song about 6 weeks ago and loved it. Heaps of fun. But as I tend to do have moved back to playing my own music. Starblind is fun to play...especially the riff after the solos. How much fun!!
Sorry Valacirca, I meant you not Jeff. Btw, your countdown rules.

Jeffmetal your contributions rule too and I hope you see Maiden play in Brazil this year.

that 7/8 riff annoys me, always catches me out

yh thanks jeff for the tabs. any one else think daves solo is really odd in this song?

I read this on YouTube which I found interesting. Maybe it was mentioned before on this forum (like the person on YouTube realizes it might have been said on YouTube before ;) ), but here goes:

Sorry if this has been said, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts. Besides the movie its based on, I think this song is about the media. Listening to the lyrics, I can almost see CNN/FOX whatever running stories like "which diet soda will kill you next? stay tuned after the break..." Once again Mr. Harris had tapped into the mood of society (see Brave New World the song for another example). Gives me chills.

(posted 5 days ago by Avonidsed)

Forostar said:
I read this on YouTube which I found interesting. Maybe it was mentioned before on this forum (like the person on YouTube realizes it might have been said on YouTube before ;) ), but here goes:

Sorry if this has been said, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts. Besides the movie its based on, I think this song is about the media. Listening to the lyrics, I can almost see CNN/FOX whatever running stories like "which diet soda will kill you next? stay tuned after the break..." Once again Mr. Harris had tapped into the mood of society (see Brave New World the song for another example). Gives me chills.

(posted 5 days ago by Avonidsed)

Yes, there are lots of references to what "you" (the listener?) could've heard from TV, radio and internet sources. I think the "message" of the song is: the media blows things out of proportion, they exploit and nurture society's fear and anxiety for political purposes (maybe related to mind control?) Perhaps the fact that the couple that tries to escape the fallout by hiding away and stocking up food in a bunker dies is some sort of metaphor: the pressure of "information" leads to the weakness of the media-saturated masses.

Back