What's your favourite post reunion album and why? #2

What's your favourite post reunion album and why?

• Brave New World

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Dance of Death

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • A Matter of Life and Death

Votes: 38 32.5%
  • The Final Frontier

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Book of Souls

Votes: 25 21.4%

• Total voters
I'm seeing red too. Yeah, so what if I stayed up till 4 yesterday? Makes no fucking difference...

Weird thing is that when I click your profile it's black again...

I'm seeing red too. Yeah, so what if I stayed up till 4 yesterday? Makes no fucking difference...

Weird thing is that when I click your profile it's black again...

The Red and the Black! Which takes us back to the topic. Book of Souls as a studio effort has been a disappointment. But I love the live versions of all the songs, especially The Great Unknown. I really hope for a live album from the tour!

Could be, or my monitor. But it's red. If I click on your name and see your profile, it's black. :confused:
The Red and the Black, apparently.

The Red and the Black! Which takes us back to the topic. Book of Souls as a studio effort has been a disappointment. But I love the live versions of all the songs, especially The Great Unknown. I really hope for a live album from the tour!
I still say that Maiden have consistently better each last album since BNW. BNW > DOD > AMOLAD > TFF > TBOS

Brave New World feels all "yay we're back" and that's all. Some good songs but overall they sound like they're trying too hard.

Dance of Death is them trying to top the last album, and while they do, there's still a long way to go.

A Matter of Life and Death is a much stronger album than the previous two, but separate the individual songs and they don't hold up as well as several others do.

The Final Frontier goes even farther forwards. They're still not there yet, but most of the songs are great and the overall feel of the album is coolio.

The Book of Souls isn't a perfect record, but it's nonetheless their best 21st century release and one of the all-time greatest double albums. Maybe for the next album they'll hit their highest heights, but for now, this one is the best and one of the best in their discography as well.

Just my opinions, awaiting more tomatoes and bricks.

I think you are right, @Diesel 11 - every successive album has either been better than the last, or done something new and different, or both. Maiden's commitment to keep moving forwards is one of their most admirable qualites, imo.

I think you are right, @Diesel 11 - every successive album has either been better than the last, or done something new and different, or both. Maiden's commitment to keep moving forwards is one of their most admirable qualites, imo.
Thinking about it a little more, every album, has been pushing forward and doing something more then the last album. I think you could say the same for every band, though Maiden is one of the best examples, alongside possibly The Beatles and definitely Death. Each album, even the ones from the '90s, have been striving to go further forward than the previous one. Some of them didn't succeed, a lot of them did.

Agreed re Maiden, but when they didn't get it quite right they re-evaluated, regrouped and then came back stronger than ever (probably with some helpful advice from Rod along the way ...)

I can't comment regarding Death as I haven't come across them, but I definitely agree regarding The Beatles - although it's probably only fair to mention that they got much more adventurous in the studio when they stopped needing to worry about how to reproduce it live.

I think they have been on one of those "on and off" cycles.
BNW - Great
DOD - Ok
AMOLAD - Great
TFF - Ok
TBOS - Great

Reactions: Jer
I think everyone should take a good listen to The Legacy off AMOLAD then listen to Empire of the Clouds after the first chorus in The Legacy.... pretty similar... for the record, The Legacy is an awesome track... was listening to live versions of AMOLAD songs and they are fantastic.... It was one of my favorite tours

I think everyone should take a good listen to The Legacy off AMOLAD then listen to Empire of the Clouds after the first chorus in The Legacy.... pretty similar... for the record, The Legacy is an awesome track... was listening to live versions of AMOLAD songs and they are fantastic.... It was one of my favorite tours

Does it really matter? Infinite Dreams recycles Genghis Khan and everyone is still crazy about it here.

Does it really matter? Infinite Dreams recycles Genghis Khan and everyone is still crazy about it here.
I knew there was a reason they ended up so high on my list...

EDIT: Also, anyone ever listened to El Dorado and went "Holy shit, that's Wasted Years!"

It's BNW. Particularly, it was how I met Iron Maiden, in 2001, when I was 9 y.o. So there is a great feeling about it, nostalgic. Technically, it is an album that I really like every song, even the so criticized Nomad, Fallen Angel and Thin Line. It is modern, the guitars are awesome, great mix of heavy tunes and soft melodies. And it's the best studio play from Nicko, in my opinion.

Back