What's The Strangest....

Wästed The Great

Minister Of Chicks, Metal&Beer; Cool & Froody Dude
Staff member
Just wondering:  What is the strangest song/album/band, whatever, that you have in your library.  All of my music is on iTunes, and when I put it on shuffle sometimes Veggie Tales will play.  Other than the Barbara Streisand Christmas cd, that's the weirdest thing I have. 

So, look through your hard drive, your cassettes, your albums and free mail-in 45's to list the Strangest Thing You Listen To!

Easy one. I have a band called "Pepper brothers" on cassete. It's two guys with fiddles signing about stuff that makes Alexander The Great's lyrics look like a piece of poetry  :D

Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

From Wikipedia:

As a radical departure from the rest of Reed's catalog, Metal Machine Music is generally considered to be either a joke, a grudging fulfillment of a contractual obligation, or an early example of noise music. Reed himself has said of the album "I was serious about it. I was also really, really stoned."

...the album entirely consists of guitar feedback played at different speeds. The two guitars were tuned in unusual ways and played with different reverb levels. He would then place the guitars in front of their amplifiers, and the feedback from the very large amps would vibrate the strings - the guitars were, effectively, playing themselves.

On its release, it was reviewed in Rolling Stone magazine as sounding like "the tubular groaning of a galactic refrigerator" and as displeasing to experience as "a night in a bus terminal".

...critic Billy Altman said it was "a two-disc set consisting of nothing more than ear-wrecking electronic sludge, guaranteed to clear any room of humans in record time."

The album was ranked number two in the 1991 book The Worst Rock 'n' Roll Records of All Time by Jimmy Guterman and Owen O'Donnell. Only Elvis Presley's concert byplay album Having Fun With Elvis On Stage ranked worse.

This "album" is 64 minutes of PURE SONIC TORTURE. I once managed to listed to over 90 seconds of the first "song" before turning it off, but enduring even that small amount nearly made me tear my eyeballs out.

I wish you haven't brought that up. Just checked it on Youtube, 30 seconds and i have a headache.

most of my friends/coworkers would say all my library is "strange," but to us it's just good ol' metal. If I had to pick one I'd have to say the Khazakstani band Holy Dragons

I have Andy Williams - The Impossible Dream and The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star.

They confuse me as to why I like them but :)

I also have some Family Guy sounds  :nuts2:

I'd have to go with a Zappa album, maybe Lumpy Gravy. It's a 30 minute collage of orchestral music, musique concrète, recorded discussions between people inside a piano and lots of other crazy sounds. It's one of my favourite albums, but it's very, very strange - although, come to think of it, the Thing-Fish musical is probably even stranger.

DJ Shadow's Endtroducing... comes in near the top as well. It's basically a blend of hip-hop grooves with elements of jazz, rock, ambient and other styles. A remarkably coherent sound, but still pretty fucked up.

Wow! I'd like to know how that falls under "strange." What is the rest of your collection comprised of?

I can understand it, Onhell. David Bowie has always had an experimental streak. So while much of his music is straightforward rock, some of the more out-there stuff could be called 'strange', perhaps.

And Sinatra? Don't get me started. All those nice little 2-and-a-half-minute ditties were the result of creative editing from the 48-minute booze-fueled experimental jam sessions, when the entire orchestra ate those funny-smelling mushrooms and engaged in orgiastic solos so outlandish they'd make Charlie Parker blush and repair Dizzy Gillespie's giant cheeks. Meanwhile Sinatra, between beating up waiters for screwing up his drink orders, would improvise surreal poetry over the whole mess. And when the producer came back into the studio from his trysts with 5-dollar whores, the whole band would sit up straight and go back into the chorus like it was a real song. Satisfied, the producer would head out to look for some high-quality horse and the session would evolve/devolve back into more free jazz and tribal rhythms while Frank loosened his tie and launched into drunken anti-Communist rants.

Could be worse. I could have said I have Celine Dion, Cher, Barbara Streissand and Bette Midler. Just to round it out. :ok: :whogivesafuck:
FYI, I would have to give up my membership to the Sons of Italy if I did'nt have Sinatra in my catologue.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I can understand it, Onhell. David Bowie has always had an experimental streak. So while much of his music is straightforward rock, some of the more out-there stuff could be called 'strange', perhaps.

And Sinatra? Don't get me started. All those nice little 2-and-a-half-minute ditties were the result of creative editing from the 48-minute booze-fueled experimental jam sessions, when the entire orchestra ate those funny-smelling mushrooms and engaged in orgiastic solos so outlandish they'd make Charlie Parker blush and repair Dizzy Gillespie's giant cheeks. Meanwhile Sinatra, between beating up waiters for screwing up his drink orders, would improvise surreal poetry over the whole mess. And when the producer came back into the studio from his trysts with 5-dollar whores, the whole band would sit up straight and go back into the chorus like it was a real song. Satisfied, the producer would head out to look for some high-quality horse and the session would evolve/devolve back into more free jazz and tribal rhythms while Frank loosened his tie and launched into drunken anti-Communist rants.

Ok, THAT, makes sense. As for the Dione, Midler, etc part Nigel... Midler yay... the rest burn them in your bedroom trashcan...

My wife used to be into Christian Music. She had the Time Life Songs for Worship compilation. I had to counter act the effects of that with The Number of the Beast. :innocent:

LOL, there are some good "christian" bands out there. Jars of Clay come to mind. Creed's first album is really good and Demon Hunter bring the Christian to the Metal in a very groovy way :p

See, I like Alter Bridge.  That's Creed without Scott Stapp. Much more to my tastes.

Onhell said:
LOL, there are some good "christian" bands out there. Jars of Clay come to mind. Creed's first album is really good and Demon Hunter bring the Christian to the Metal in a very groovy way :p
Good Christian bands? Look no further than Venom* Trouble.

*It just so happens that I am listening to Welcome To Hell at this present monemt. :D

Does Megadeth count as a Christian band since Dave Mustaine is nowadays a born-again Christian?  What about Slayer?  Tom Araya is a Catholic, after all. :halo: :D

Invader said:
Does Megadeth count as a Christian band since Dave Mustaine is nowadays a born-again Christian?  What about Slayer?  Tom Araya is a Catholic, after all. :halo: :D

I presume this makes Suffocation and Sepultura Black Metal bands, since they have at least one coloured member? :p

Back