Whatever it is I'm Against It!!!!

The fucking super bowl... except for Tom Petty... other than that... the fucking super bowl.

pretty much... and you're right, the Killer Statements are gone... along with many other threads for that matter...

The Super Bowl, haha. it was a good game though.

Think we need a best of best of albums album.

Ok, here is a legitimate gripe:

I'm rereading my college text books to create some handouts for coworkers and clients alike about the "why" of family violence. I always buy used text books, even though they are not much cheaper than new ones. At any rate without exception you find them underlined and highlighted by the previous owner. I've come to notice how distracting this is and why if I ever go back to school I'll buy new textbooks. It is distracting for the following reasons: 1. Just because it is highlighted it does not mean it is important 2. You wonder why someone would go through the effort of reading and highlighting if they were going to sell the book back. Honestly, if you were going to reread it or go back to it, ok, but if you are getting rid of the book why not just take notes? My favorite though are margin comments to nobody. One could argue that they are personal reminders... Is the person that stupid? Sometimes I'm led to believe just that. My personal favorite is finding "Disagree!" next to a highlighted paragraph in caps, three or four exclamaition points, underlined twice. If you disagree so strongly you'd definitely remember and bring it up in class. Not to mention more often than not you can tell the person didn't fully understand the text.

Now I have no objection to someone disagreeing afterall that is what college is all about, the exchange of ideas and gaining of knowledge and of course we all have the right to our opinion... as ignorant as it can be at times (I have plenty lol). However, when the author explains their point quite well and they are not even saying what they are bringing up is a 100% fact of life, you have to wonder what the moron writing in the margins is really that upset over. I say this because if I learned something in college is people don't listen. They hear, loud and clear, but they don't listen. I remember in one sociology class when we were talking about family values and how they are often connected to socio-economic status. Working class families often worry over money, while high class folks tell their children to do something that will make them happy, readily assuming that such occupation will involve a college degree at the very least and that it will be an occupation that inherently involves making lots of money... thus no worry on the material aspect, rathre the fulfullment aspect. I gave as a personal example the debates my ex and I used to engage in, she constantly thinking in dollars and cents while I just worried about being happy, not really caring if I was a popper or a millionaire. Now I'm not even high class, as a child my family was high-middle class at best and I currently straddle between lower-middle and lower class hahaha. Nevertheless, a classmate took offense to my pointing out that IN GENERAL that is how it works and she stated how her father made her get a job as a teen to appreciate the value of a dollar. I just looked at her and thought she was thinking rather highly of herself considering I was talking about the high class... she clearly was not that if she was attending the U of A, even if it was on daddy's dime. High class folk go to Ivy League colleges, high class is Donald Trump, Bill Gates, Ted Turner... not Mr. Hot-shot salesman.

Back to the highlighting though. Again, why would you spend so much time and effort on something you plan to gain nothing from? If you sell the book why write so many notes to yourself? That notebook used for class notes has enough pages for reading notes as well... good god. There I'm done, Cheesus Christ.

Wow OnHell, you think you're really against that? If you are going back to school and want to find textbooks at a decent price, try Abebooks.com.

Despite what the thread title is, you are not against it, you just don't know it yet.  :lol:

Yes, I am completely, totally and absolutely against morons highlighting textbooks and writing personal notes on the margins and eventually just sell it back...

Onhell does not think that animals should eat animals and people should eat people.

Onhell does not believe that most of the Americans around him are a highly intelligent, cultural people that will always vote for the right candidate in a general election.

Onhell said:
no matter what you say I'm against it and, the kicker, I'm always right :p 

Dad?

You didn't tell me you were a Maiden fan!  Now we have more father-son bonding time to look forward to!  :yey:

Back