What I've been digging as of August 3rd, 2014 (Up From the Crypt, Ep. IV)

DJ James

A coma stole my name.
Up From the Crypt, Ep. I - Manilla Road's Voyager
Up From the Crypt, Ep. II - Manilla Road's Mystification
Up From the Crypt, Ep. III - Manilla Road's Mysterium

I'm back! And this time I won't be supplying you guys with an awesome Manilla Road review (we'll get together and cry about it some time); today I'll give you guys a run-down of some of the albums and such I've been listening to. So without further ado...

U. D. O.'s Timebomb (1991)

full_U.D.O._Timebomb.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Going into Udo's solo work, I didn't really know what to expect. My knowledge of the man didn't venture outside of Accept's 80's output. Which I enjoyed, but not enough to put work into tracking down some of Udo's albums. Well back in July, I was craving some power metal. Not just any power metal, but German power. Gamma Ray, Helloween, Grave Digger... yeah that's what I'm talking about. The problem was that I had already heard enough of those guys and wanted to find something new, so I decided to go with U. D. O.'s Timebomb... and it did not disappoint. I chose Timebomb as my first U. D. O. album because I had heard it get critical acclaim from the power metal community. I had heard it get called stuff like "the German answer to Painkiller" and "the best German power metal album around". Well, I can't say I agree fully with those two statements. I can say that Timebomb is a lot more down-to-earth than most other German power metal albums I've heard, and well the similarities to Painkiller only lie in the guitar work. Timebomb is worth checking out for a number of reasons: it's relatively short (under 40 minutes), Udo is one of the best vocalist in heavy metal, the guitar work here is phenomenal, and each song is insanely catchy and unique from one another. Timebomb is a hell of a lot of fun and worth giving a listen to.

The Devil Makes Three's The Devil Makes Three (2002)

1339155023_500cover.jpg

The Rate Your Music Page

My friend came up to me the other day and said "Hey you ever hear of this band called The Devil Makes Three?". I took my headphones off and said "What sub-genre they play?" (seeing as me and him usually talk heavy metal). "Oh well," he started, "they play a mix of bluegrass, folk and country.". I turned off Darkthrone's Kathaarian Life Code and said "show me some stuff". I picked up their debut that night and have never been happier with a purchase. It is important to note that these guys (well two dudes on guitar and a girl on bass) are missing a drummer. I was more than intrigued going into the music, I wanted to see how the band handled only having a bassist covering the rhythm section. They excel without a drummer. They play tighter than most bands I know. If you're into folk music or anything like that... you'll definitely dig this.

Bathory's Bathory (1984)

1000x1000.jpg

The Metal Archives Page

Let me start off by saying that this album is not for everybody. If you aren't into black metal this album might sway you're opinion... but I doubt it. Watching the documentary Until the Light Takes Us really spurred my interest in black metal. I didn't really agree with the opinions held by most of the band members they showed and definitely didn't agree with the church burnings. But, those were second wave black metal bands... "Were the first wave black metal bands that bat-shit insane?" I wondered. No, and the likes of Venom and Bathory actually made enjoyable, fun music. I like to dub the music on the first Bathory LP "satanic party rock". This album is so much fun to listen to. I think black metal shouldn't be taken that seriously, and Quorthon seems to agree with me.

Last edited:
Back