A Read Dead One
Beast Over Hammersmith
Death on the Road
Live After Death
Live at Donnington
Rock in Rio
Reading Festival, 1982
Donington Monsters Of Rock, 1988

I'll listen and get back to you on that.

IRONEDDIE123 said:
Hello everyone, I am new here. To kick off, I am curious to know, what do you think is the best live version of Hallowed Be Thy Name? Thanks for answering!

How can I not answer such a politely crafted post? In my opinion, the single best live version released is the one from Beast Over Hammersmith, although I'm quite partial to the one from the Abbey Road Sessions recorded in 2006. Hope that helps you! :)

Beast Over Hammersmith from the older versions.

RIR from the newer.
The whole band is on fire here.Bruce's vibratos here and there are eargasmic(he does a lot more than DOTR and F666 and I love it  :yey:), I love Nicko's really aggressive approach and how he plays just before Dave rushes into his solo.It may sound just a little detail but things like that are that make great versions differ.Both killer takes on the solos.

I listened to all the versions mentioned above plus the one in ME.I played the one off RIR twice!!!It TRULY IS AWESOME!!!

chaosapiant said:
Rock in Rio.  I love Bruce's "uber note" at the end that has Nicko stand up and applaud him.

Yeah, I was listening to the RIR version today. Bruce holds that note for about a minute, tis crazy.

Hi everybody. I'm new here but didn't feel like making a new thread to introduce myself. Anyways the best version I've ever heard is Stutggart 1982. The recording is slightly sped up so everything, including Bruce's vocals, are a bit higher. Still this performance is beyond perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zn4DztfybI

I gotta go with Live After Death, although that may be because that was the very first album I ever bought of Iron Maiden, and the intensity of all of the songs sticks out in my head more than just about anything else IM did. 

Among the official releases (I'm not conversant in all the bootlegs and YouTube versions), the correct answer is Beast Over Hammersmith.  That version was recorded before the studio version was even released, and it is played at the proper tempo.  Later live versions are sped up significantly, some to a ridiculous pace.  Give Clive Burr credit for keeping the band on track better than Nicko typically does on this song.  Steve's bass on this mix sounds awesome, too. 

I also love the Live at Abbey Road performance.  For those who don't know it, in 2006 the band performed "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" start-to-finish together in studio (no crowd) for television broadcast.  Both performances are electrifying, and make one wonder why the boys don't do a "live in studio" album, which I'd buy immediately.  I don't know if there is a high-quality audio recording available, but it no doubt can be found on YouTube.  It may still be broadcast from time to time (the episode also had live performances by Natasha Bedingfield and the Gipsy Kings, which is a pretty weird combination).  It has earned "never delete" status on my DVR. 

Back