What if Adrian had joined Def Leppard?

Phil Collen is a great guitarist too. Him and H were born two months apart, both from Hackney, and they knew each other. They could have made an incredible partnership. In fact, the more I think about it, the better the idea sounds!
I wanted to bring this up earlier, and now I can't hold back:

Collen was considered for Maiden, had Adrian refused to join Maiden

Here it is:

Inside Out: Tell us about your brush with IRON MAIDEN, I believe that if Adrian Smith never joined the band, you were next in line for the job!

Collen: They asked me to come down and I wasn't really interested. I have known them guys for years. I used to go to school with the original singer Paul Di'Anno, who I have known since I was six. All the guys grew up in the same area as me, they're lovely guys, I love 'em, but it's a different type of music. I was in a glam rock band and now I'm in DEF LEPPARD… which is more up my street."

Which leads us to an even more realistic question than the original one:
What if Phil Collen had joined Maiden instead of Adrian?

No 2 Minutes to Midnight, 22 Acacia Avenue, Wasted Years, Flight of Icarus. No The Evil That Men Do, no Can I Play With Madness, no Wicker Man....
Maiden would have been less succesful without Adrian Smith.

Maiden would have been less succesful without Adrian Smith.

That's for sure. He's one of three chief songwriters for a streak of Maiden platinum records. You can't easily top that, and Collen isn't for Maiden anyway (glad he knows it, too).

And if Smith would have gone to Leppard, could Leppard also have had more success? Different band, but like Maiden, a band with a name, and Smith is the guy with a talent. As in Maiden, a good combo.

Adrian in Def Lep...? Can´t even imagine that. I guess he would´ve worn cowboy boots and played acoustic or something like that then...huh! :rolleyes:

But what would Pour Some Sugar On Me have sounded like with Steve and Nicko?

I'm not exactly a fan of that song. I'm not convinced Steve, Nicko, or anyone else, could bring anything to it.

Go to hell guys,
now I need to youtube that song...

Edit: And yeah it sucks. Bad Queen ripoff. This can't be considered metal...

Edit: And yeah it sucks. Bad Queen ripoff. This can't be considered metal...

It's not metal, no-one said it was, least of all the band! It's a great piece of arena-pop-rock off a great arena-pop-rock album.

Back