What are your top five favorite live song recordings by Maiden?

efekåseo_suomi

Ancient Mariner
What officially recorded and released (no bootlegs, only songs from live albums, best of albums and b-sides count!) Maiden songs would be on your top five ranking?

5. Moonchild from Flight 666. This version is (to me) so exciting, much thanks to not using a pre-recorded intro which they did on the 1988 and 2014 tours. What a terrific song to kick of the encore with!
4. Rime of the Ancient Mariner from Flight 666. I think the triple guitar line-up really shows it's best side here. Great version, to me, Bruce at his absolute peak on this recording. Flight 666 will always rank first when it comes to live recordings overall!
3. The Wicker Man from Rock in Rio. What a great way to start a concert. Crazy to think this isn't used more as an opener. I was lucky enough to see Maiden open with it back in 2010 on the first leg of TFF tour!
2. Afraid to Shoot Strangers from Best of the Beast. Blaze Bayleys best vocal delivery, counting both studio and live performances. Blaze brought rawness to the song, the song truly showcases how great Blaze could be live sometimes. Bruce never quite seemed to reach the level Blaze did on this song! I get so excited listening to Blaze pump up the audience after the solos. To bad Blaze isn't performing this solo, in alot of ways the song belong to him too!
1. The Clansman from Rock in Rio. I was showed the DVD recording at a friends place back in 2006 because he thought Nico's dance in the beginning was funny. We both realized how great the song was right away. I still cant believe they excluded this song from the setlist for 15 years. First time I got to see it performed live was with Blaze Bayley in Stockholm back in 2011. Needless to say, Blaze blew the roof off Harry B James that night!

Honorable mentions: Benjamin Breeg from the Different World single, Futureal from Wicker Man single, Paschendale from Death on the Road, Running Free from BBC Archives (1980 Reading Festival version), Ghost of the Navigator from Rock in Rio, Sign of the Cross from Rock in Rio, If Eternity Should Fail from Live Chapter and Revelations from Live After Death.

Last edited:
1. Phantom of the Opera (Live After Death).
- This is my favorite song and version not just from Iron Maiden, but from all bands in the universe.

2. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Rock In Rio).

3. The Prisoner (Best Over Hammersmith).

4. Dance of Death (Death on the Road).

5. The Talisman (En Vivo).

3 honorable mentions:
1) The Red and The Black (The Book of Souls: Live Chapter).
- Despite Bruce's straining here and there during the song, the instrumental part on the last 4-5 minutes of the song are simply mindblowing. Nicko's performance is absolutely amazing.
2) Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Flight 666).
3) The Evil That Men Do (En Vivo).

In no particular order

1. Red and the Black from The Live Chapter. The instrumental. Say no more.

2. Mariner from Flight 666. Pisses all over the 1985 version.

3. Sign of the Cross from Rock in Rio. Perfection.

4. Infinite Dream from Maiden England. I remember being entranced by the live performance when I first saw it on Visions of the Beast

5. Flight of Icarus 2018 on YouTube. A fantastic reminder of how good that tour was.

Obscure answer.
Sanctuary from Rock in Rio. The middle instrumental never fails to make me smile. Bruce running around, the three amigos around the microphone and Steve and Nicko rocking out together.

1) Hallowed Be Thy Name from Rock In Rio
2) Aces High from Flight 666
3) Powerslave from Live After Death
4) Paschendale from Death On The Road
5) Sign Of The Cross from Rock In Rio

No particular order:
Sign of the Cross- Nights of the Dead
Hallowed be thy Name- Live at Donington
The Red and the Black- Live Chapter
Revelations- Flight 666
Powerslave- Live After Death

Paschendale - Death on The Road
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Flight 666
Moonchild - Flight 666
The Book of Souls - The Book of Souls Live Chapter (I was in the crowd for this one! Recorded at Download 2016)
Sign of The Cross - Rock in Rio

A difficult question!

In no particular order:

The Talisman from En Vivo - just amazing, better than the studio version! Bruce is on top form. A true Maiden trademark song, only the dual guitar battle is missing.

The Red And The Black from Live Chapter - the song really shines live, especially the brutal solos and instrumental section.

Hallowed Be Thy Name from Death On The Road - Nicko's drumming here is something else. I also could have picked: Paschendale, Lord Of The Flies, No More Lies and Run To The Hills.

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner from Flight 666 - the song is amazing live and this is an amazing performance. I also could have picked: Aces High, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait.

Dream Of Mirrors from Rock In Rio 2001 - I could have literally picked every song (Fear Of The Dark(!), Hallowed, The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, Brave New World, Sign Of The Cross, Sanctuary), but there is something magical about the performance of this song with the acoustics, the crowd and Bruce's powerful voice.

hm: Seventh Son live 1988, Hallowed live 1992/1993, Where Eagles Dare live 2005 (Ullevi), Powerslave & Running Free live 1985 (LAD), Brighter Than A Thousand Suns live 2006 (in the studio)(!), Futureal live 1999 and Hallowed live 1982 (BOH).

A difficult question!

In no particular order:

The Talisman from En Vivo - just amazing, better than the studio version! Bruce is on top form. A true Maiden trademark song, only the dual guitar battle is missing.

The Red And The Black from Live Chapter - the song really shines live, especially the brutal solos and instrumental section.

Hallowed Be Thy Name from Death On The Road - Nicko's drumming here is something else. I also could have picked: Paschendale, Lord Of The Flies, No More Lies and Run To The Hills.

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner from Flight 666 - the song is amazing live and this is an amazing performance. I also could have picked: Aces High, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait.

Dream Of Mirrors from Rock In Rio 2001 - I could have literally picked every song (Fear Of The Dark(!), Hallowed, The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, Brave New World, Sign Of The Cross, Sanctuary), but there is something magical about the performance of this song with the acoustics, the crowd and Bruce's powerful voice.

hm: Seventh Son live 1988, Hallowed live 1992/1993, Where Eagles Dare live 2005 (Ullevi), Powerslave & Running Free live 1985 (LAD), Brighter Than A Thousand Suns live 2006 (in the studio)(!), Futureal live 1999 and Hallowed live 1982 (BOH).
I completely forgot about Dream of Mirrors. I love the version on RIR. It really comes alive.

1. Dance of Death from En Vivo
2. Intro + The Wickerman from Rock in Rio 2001
3. Rime of the Ancient Mariner from Flight 666
4. The Talisman from En Vivo
5. When the Wild Wind Blows from En Vivo

By the way, it's remarkable how 'The Final Frontier' has been elevated from the studio to the Flight 666 performance. I'd rate this album considerably lower if it weren't for the live versions of the five songs they've chosen to play.

Rime from Flight 666
Fear of the Dark from RiR
Sign of the Cross from RiR
Where Eagles Dare from ARLDO
Hallowed from Hammersmith

I looked this up the other day - is it the one that also was uploaded as a music video on their YouTube page? I fucking love that version
Yepp, audio recording from Gothenburg, video recording from South America if I remember correctly. There are versions of the same quality from this concert, Man on the Edge, Blood on the Worlds Hands, The Aftermath and The Evil that Men Do!

Charlotte The Harlot Ruskin Arms 1979 video
HBTN Toronto 2008 Flight 666
Dance Of Death En Vivo
Wasting Love Donington 1992
HBTN Hammy 1982 (and also Transylvania from the same show)

Hallowed be thy Name Hammersmith 82
Infinite Dreams Maiden England
Killers Maiden England
Moonchild Maiden England
The Evil that Men Do Donnington 88

Back