We're under attack! Scramble!

Real World

Maindenfans.com Founder
So urm according to our hosts our server is under attack. Presumably a DoS (Denial of Service) attack since its crashing the server about twice a day now. I have no idea at present who or what is causing it or why or whether its related to the recent hacking of our forums. All I know is that one minute we're here the next minute we're not.
Yes the forums are screwy. Thats because sql keeps crashing too and its damaging the database. Its easy to repair but also quite futile until this all calms down. Sorry about this folks but someone out there just doesnt like me (or this site) and would rather conduct their business in this manner than confront me about it.

I thought this forum was supposed to be 'safer'...  :huh:

Is there any chance to find the culprit and give him/her a good seeing-to?  :angry:

Nothing to do with the forum. DoS attacks are targeted at servers not specific software. I have the IP address which I won't post here for obvious reasons but it doesnt resolve to anything familiar - something in China from what I can tell - but apparently we now have a firewall on our server which will block future attempts :)
I'll make sure the database is in good nick now

Quite miraculous... I can't see some of the subforums on the homepage. :huh: Not complaining, just thought it was interesting.

I noticed something interesting: I can't find the forum with Opera, but Firefox doesn't seem to have any problems. I didn't know that the boards had become 'browser-sensitive'...  :innocent:

Maverick said:
I noticed something interesting: I can't find the forum with Opera, but Firefox doesn't seem to have any problems. I didn't know that the boards had become 'browser-sensitive'...  :innocent:
If that's the least of our problems, I think we're well off ;)

Both of you misquoted me...
What I meant was that we have more pressing matters than 'browser-sensitive' access ;)

Conor said:
Both of you misquoted me...
What I meant was that we have more pressing matters than 'browser-sensitie' access ;)

...namely the fact that my finger will soon develop a nasty bend to it from constantly hitting 'F5', and that all my posts will have to be backed up before being posted.  Speaking of which, whatever happened to the notepad in our profiles?  Is there something that can be used instead on the forums? :huh:

Will I ever be able to post again, even if I'm not looking for a new Bruce, do have glasses and haven't launched a new Swedish website? Or is this a way of telling me that I too should come back in two years' time?  :rolleyes:

Apparently, the only place where I can't post is the Strange World Of IMC. Maybe I should post my rant in the madness forum. Maybe that's where it belongs anyway.

Just trying to joke, lads. My name is Silent 'Patience' Lucidity. ;)

Well anyway the situation hasnt changed. the database is fucked cos it keeps crashing. I'm not fixing it again until this is resolved so you will ALL have to be as patient as SilentLucidity ;)

Back