Wasting Love

How good is Wasting Love on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Wasting Love

Man of Sorrows was written for the film Chemical Wedding (source). I admit that I don't know when it was written, and when it was recorded (though I remember that I heard/read it was in 1992, like this YouTube page says), but it's likely that it was not done during the Tattoed Millonaire sessions. I can imagine that the film project came up later than 1989/1990, and the style -with keyboards etc.- is very different. Also a different sound engineer was used.

About Wasting Love, it's not very unlikely that -if it was written during the Tattoed Millionaire-sessions- they didn't use it, because the calm guitars in the beginning and the tempo are quite similar with Son of a Gun.

I have never disliked this song, but it isn't one of the highlights either. I find the guitar solo trademark Janick, because you can recognize a lot from this (imo he re-used it too much) when you play 2 A.M. and Como Estais Amigos.

When I saw Maiden live, for the first time, one(!) day after Jeff heard this song in the bathroom, I remember that acoustic guitars were brought on the set. First I thought "Hey, will they play Revelations?" and then Bruce introduced Wasting Love. A very moody song, with a powerful chorus and midsection.

Between 7 and 7,5 -> 7.

While I don't think the lyrics are bad, they don't quite click with me and in this type of song, where the vocals takes centre stage, that spoils the whole mood it's trying to conjure. The solo fits the song perfectly. 4/10

7/10. Good song. Picks the album up a bit for me.

I thought the hate for the whole album (which is despized in most posts) would reflect on most of the individual songs. I am beginning to feel that it isn't that terrible at all.

I think most of the FOTD-hate is more about the number of abysmal songs - most people like several songs from the album despite disliking the album. I, for example, have stated that it is my least favourite album, but that doesn't mean I dislike all the songs. As you can see from my voting so far ...

I am coming to the conclusion that most people like the album. We've done 6 songs now, and only one of the songs (Fear is the Key) has more "dislikers" than "likers".

More weaker songs will come, but still the majority of the album (maybe 70-75%) has more likers than dislikers, thus this forum likes this album.

I know this sounds like a provocation, and the reasoning is very simple, but these votes urge me to put all this negative talk (done by less than a dozen members) in a different perspective.

Forostar said:
I am coming to the conclusion that most people like the album. We've done 6 songs now, and only one of the songs (Fear is the Key) has more "dislikers" than "likers".

More weaker songs will come, but still the majority of the album (maybe 70-75%) has more likers than dislikers, thus this forum likes this album.

I know this sounds like a provocation, and the reasoning is very simple, but these votes urge me to put all this negative talk (done by less than a dozen members) in a different perspective.

Provocation? Why? I can't see what is provocative in you saying that the song rating indicates that people like the album more than they've given the impression of earlier. Anyway, it will be easier to draw conclusions once some people have rated all the songs of the album, in a week or so.

I think that the album can either be divided into 3 groups or four groups.

It is as follows:
Great songs:
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Wasting love
Judas be my Guide
Fear of the Dark
Good songs:
Be Quick or Be Dead
From here to eternity
Childhood's end
The Fugitive
Bad songs:
Fear is the key
Chains of Misery
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

OR

Awesome songs:
Afraid to shoot Strangers
Judas Be my Guide
Fear of the Dark
Good songs:
Be Quick or be Dead
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
Mediocre songs:
From Here To Eternity
The Fugitive
Chains of Misery
Horrible (Maiden) songs:
Fear is the Key
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

With the last three being some of Maiden's worst ever.
A bit of over thinking it, but I enjoy thinking up stuff like that.

If you put Wasting Love in the "good songs" group and From Here To Eternity in "bad songs", your first grouping is pretty much what I would have.

It divides into more groups, and thus provides a distinction between mediocre and bad - I would add Chains of Misery to that last group. But it's a gliding scale, this; up till now, I've used all grades from 4 to 9 for songs from this album. I can say this much, there will be more 4s and more 9s ...

About the 2nd group: ridiculous that after good immediately comes mediocre.
Also I'd never mention bad right after good either (1st group).

Forostar said:
About the 2nd group: ridiculous that after good immediately comes mediocre.
Also I'd never mention bad right after good either (1st group).

That depends completely on what you put in those words. Good and bad aren't numbers ...

Back